Which gfx?

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Aye, just got amd phenom cpu and am2 board, my supplier reckons he can't get hold of Nvidia 8800 GT atm for the comp. Not sure what card I should be buying now. Any ideas?

Note to Levin, note where I asked the question :p

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Must be able to get one from somewhere? Tbh, nothing else looks quite so attractive as the GT at the moment.

Is he doing the build for you? If so, can he supply it without a gcard and you source and install it yourself, or you source it and supply it to him?

Plenty of GT's on ebay.

Yah think the best buys atm are the 8800 GT, 8800 GTX and the HiS Radeon 3870 card.

The GTX is the best but also cost the most then the 8800 GT and last the 3870 comes, the scale in performance and price pritty equal.

The 88 ultra is a waste of money, like 10% better perfomance then GTX and costs maybe 30% more = bad business :d

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
I am buying nothing from Ebay after the experience i had last time buying motherboards tbh ;s

Decided on 8600GTS instead, will go sli with it and then won't need a new card for years as I will have far too much mem on system and it will still blow everything that you can throw at it out of the window xD

I am buying nothing from Ebay after the experience i had last time buying motherboards tbh ;s

Decided on 8600GTS instead, will go sli with it and then won't need a new card for years as I will have far too much mem on system and it will still blow everything that you can throw at it out of the window xD

Big misstake mate, 8600 sucks compared to the radeon 3870 and the 88 GT card, waste of money.

/edit Best buy would be one 88 GT, then upgrade later on to 88 GT in SLI or buy 2x 3870 radeon cards and go crossfire right away.. those 8600 GTS is poo ;<

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Big misstake mate, 8600 sucks compared to the radeon 3870 and the 88 GT card, waste of money.

/edit Best buy would be one 88 GT, then upgrade later on to 88 GT in SLI or buy 2x 3870 radeon cards and go crossfire right away.. those 8600 GTS is poo ;<

How poo compared to my old AGP 9800 xt ? xD

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
8600 GTS in SLI is a terrible idea. SLI is a mistake in most situations but especially so for low end cards. One 8800GT or HD3870 is faster, more power efficent, less buggy and more future proof than SLI/crossfire 2600/8600 cards.

Regarding your comment about having too much memory on your system, If you are thinking SLI will increase you video ram its actually does not increase your effective texture memory size at all. Two 256mb cards are still equal to 256mb of texture memory. 256 + 256 + SLI does not equal 512.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
8600 GTS in SLI is a terrible idea. SLI is a mistake in most situations but especially so for low end cards. One 8800GT or HD3870 is faster, more power efficent, less buggy and more future proof than SLI/crossfire 2600/8600 cards.

Regarding your comment about having too much memory on your system, If you are thinking SLI will increase you video ram its actually does not increase your effective texture memory size at all. Two 256mb cards are still equal to 256mb of texture memory. 256 + 256 + SLI does not equal 512.

Comp is at home and after some advice, I think the ideas in this thread suck. Not because they were unhelpful, indeed they are very helpful. But a friend of mine told me that the 8800 is being out stocked due to the release of the 1Gb version of it in a few weeks time. I am holding out for that. In the meantime the 8600 will do for now.

Thanks for help mates, now where is my screwdriver xD

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Imgor dont be a gay and use SLI.

Like everyone said, 8800GT is better than 8600GTS SLI. The only reason you would choose SLI in this situation is if you could afford x2 8800GT.

The 8600GTS may use old architecture as well meaning its expecially shit.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Imgor dont be a gay and use SLI.

Like everyone said, 8800GT is better than 8600GTS SLI. The only reason you would choose SLI in this situation is if you could afford x2 8800GT.

The 8600GTS may use old architecture as well meaning its expecially shit.

Fyi Bahu, I can go sli as I can afford it. But anyways see above mate ;)

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Aye, just got amd phenom cpu and am2 board, my supplier reckons he can't get hold of Nvidia 8800 GT atm for the comp. Not sure what card I should be buying now. Any ideas?

Note to Levin, note where I asked the question :p

Noted. :) I would post here as well if i had a technical DaoC problem. No hard feelings though, and well done on not being a hypocrit. :p Good luck with your card!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Comp is at home and after some advice, I think the ideas in this thread suck. Not because they were unhelpful, indeed they are very helpful. But a friend of mine told me that the 8800 is being out stocked due to the release of the 1Gb version of it in a few weeks time. I am holding out for that. In the meantime the 8600 will do for now.

Its a fucking wank card. DONT BUY IT YOU FOOL! Now look what you made me do :-(

Its a shit card, it may be DX10 but its like some cnut with a Mini saying "ooh I have a V8 engine", it'll be awful in the ickle car!

It's so fucking bad its not even on Toms Hardware charts. They list all the cards and the 8600 cant even get its sorry ass on that.

Your buying that pile of wank because you cant wait 1 month for the shops to re-stock?

Dont waste inheritance on a piece of shit which you will replace in a week.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Its a fucking wank card. DONT BUY IT YOU FOOL! Now look what you made me do :-(

Its a shit card, it may be DX10 but its like some cnut with a Mini saying "ooh I have a V8 engine", it'll be awful in the ickle car!

It's so fucking bad its not even on Toms Hardware charts. They list all the cards and the 8600 cant even get its sorry ass on that.

Your buying that pile of wank because you cant wait 1 month for the shops to re-stock?

Dont waste inheritance on a piece of shit which you will replace in a week.

Too late mate, it's just a temp card, it always was, I'll resell it anyways and buy when the 1Gb version of the 8800 GT arrives. I can't go SLI anyway as from what I saw from the board it only has one pci-e slot on the cheap version of the AM2 board that I got. Board will be fine. The system itself with webcams etc cost me £765. Which wasn't bad imo.

Bahumat

FH is my second home

Fyi Bahu, I can go sli as I can afford it. But anyways see above mate ;)

You say in your previous post "Decided on 8600GTS instead, will go SLI with it".

My point is 1x 8800GT > 2x 8600GTS.

SLI will only be better if its 2x 8800GT so im unsure what your saying?

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
You say in your previous post "Decided on 8600GTS instead, will go SLI with it".

My point is 1x 8800GT > 2x 8600GTS.

SLI will only be better if its 2x 8800GT so im unsure what your saying?

Motherboard won't permit that I have sli on it. There's not enough pci-e slots on the board to permit that.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH

Well buying a crappy 8600 because you are going to hold out for a 1gb version of 8800 is very daft.

Basically you wont see any performance improvement with the extra memory in any case, and it means the 8800 prices will come down.

SLI is a crappy idea not because of the price (well not only because of the price) but because its cutting edge and buggy.

If you want a stop gap card, you would be much better off with a 7900/7950!

confused

Can't get enough of FH
The G92 8800gts 512 is pretty much equal with the gtx atm and same price wise. Personally I'm waiting for the new Nvidia cards to come. However the only game that my gts640 hasn't been able to play on max (Bought over a year ago) was Crysis... that frankly wasn't as good as I expected anyway.

Also the 1gb version of the GT, is only very slightly faster than the 512 due to the 256 memory bandwidth...

Edit: also why Phenom, when the Intel quads beat it in every benchmark and are cheaper/lower power consumption?

Edit2: Sli isn't cutting edge, its been around for about 10 years now atleast... infact exactly 10 years - Voodoo2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Well buying a crappy 8600 because you are going to hold out for a 1gb version of 8800 is very daft.

Basically you wont see any performance improvement with the extra memory in any case, and it means the 8800 prices will come down.

SLI is a crappy idea not because of the price (well not only because of the price) but because its cutting edge and buggy.

If you want a stop gap card, you would be much better off with a 7900/7950!

Like I said mate, it's too late, been done. Half way through building my system now. Case fan was fucking weird lol. Most reviews I saw about the 8600 gts is that it was too expensive, that was the main complaint for it at the time.

Since then it has dropped. It's all very well you guys saying it suxx, but has any of you actually owned one? Seems to me there'll be very few raised hands there. I'll let you know how bad/good it is. To me it will probably seem very good seeing as my last card was a radeon 9800 xt agp card on my old system. Main fault with that card now is drivers and current gaming conflicts. I might just sit it out even further to see what is otw before I go for the main prize that will sit in the new comp for a few years. I tend to do that any way.

Everyone told me how crappy the Radeon 9000 card was when I bought it, and tbh that was a very reliable card that did a nice job. I am expecting pretty much the same here imo with the gts. I am not after ubah fps or performance, I am wanting a half decent card. If none of you can actually give a personal opinion that has had experience of the card itself, then it just stays as an opinion.

I'll let you know what issues of it that I find.....

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
The G92 8800gts 512 is pretty much equal with the gtx atm and same price wise. Personally I'm waiting for the new Nvidia cards to come. However the only game that my gts640 hasn't been able to play on max (Bought over a year ago) was Crysis... that frankly wasn't as good as I expected anyway.

Also the 1gb version of the GT, is only very slightly faster than the 512 due to the 256 memory bandwidth...

Edit: also why Phenom, when the Intel quads beat it in every benchmark and are cheaper/lower power consumption?

Edit2: Sli isn't cutting edge, its been around for about 10 years now atleast... infact exactly 10 years - Voodoo2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, because I have always favoured amd. This amd 2800xp chip that I have on this computer has lasted. It survived 4 motherboard blow outs and it's still running fairly fast for the chipset it was meant to run with. In fact I was quite surprised indeed when I saw the spec for unreal 3 and finding that it supported it, ok only just but that shows me that AMD is still a pretty much respected brand. Basically I trust AMD and that's why I stayed with them. My experience of intel in the past has been somewhat mixed and I'd rather stick with the devil I know :)

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Like I said mate, it's too late, been done. Half way through building my system now. Case fan was fucking weird lol. Most reviews I saw about the 8600 gts is that it was too expensive, that was the main complaint for it at the time.

Since then it has dropped. It's all very well you guys saying it suxx, but has any of you actually owned one? Seems to me there'll be very few raised hands there. I'll let you know how bad/good it is. To me it will probably seem very good seeing as my last card was a radeon 9800 xt agp card on my old system. Main fault with that card now is drivers and current gaming conflicts. I might just sit it out even further to see what is otw before I go for the main prize that will sit in the new comp for a few years. I tend to do that any way.

Everyone told me how crappy the Radeon 9000 card was when I bought it, and tbh that was a very reliable card that did a nice job. I am expecting pretty much the same here imo with the gts. I am not after ubah fps or performance, I am wanting a half decent card. If none of you can actually give a personal opinion that has had experience of the card itself, then it just stays as an opinion.

I'll let you know what issues of it that I find.....

You are ofc right, just people like to get best value for money (above a certain performance threshholf) or the ultimate roxxor rig at whatever price. I know its done and i'm harping on after the fact, but a 7950/7900 offer good value for money and better raw performance, hence the belated advice.

However it is a bit like saying your template sux, lolzer, only 95 dex! When we all know +6 dex is neither here nor their. :)

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
You are ofc right, just people like to get best value for money (above a certain performance threshholf) or the ultimate roxxor rig at whatever price. I know its done and i'm harping on after the fact, but a 7950/7900 offer good value for money and better raw performance, hence the belated advice.

However it is a bit like saying your template sux, lolzer, only 95 dex! When we all know +6 dex is neither here nor their. :)

I will say this tho about nvidia, my experience of them so far has not been good. I had some advice saying that at the time the 5500 nvdia card was roxxor at the time. I had that card on this system for 9 months, and tbh my radeon 9000 owned it and ofc I went back to radeon again. The experience of this card or another card from this company will probably set in stone my opinion of them. Dunno why but ati/amd/radeon just seem to do the job for me :s

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
If you like ATI/AMD so much why didnt you buy a 3850 instead of a 8600GTS?? 3850 has FAR better performance and is only slightly more expensive.

- I have used quite a few 8500 and 8600 GT / GTS cards. Fine for old games but woefully inadequate for modern games (company of heroes, Bioshock, COD4, crysis etc.)

- 1gb 8800 GT/GTS are virtually identical in performance to the 512 mb editions.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
If you like ATI/AMD so much why didnt you buy a 3850 instead of a 8600GTS?? 3850 has FAR better performance and is only slightly more expensive.

- I have used quite a few 8500 and 8600 GT / GTS cards. Fine for old games but woefully inadequate for modern games (company of heroes, Bioshock, COD4, crysis etc.)

- 1gb 8800 GT/GTS are virtually identical in performance to the 512 mb editions.

I aint seen this card run yet, damned friend (coming for a beer etc grr) obligations etc. I am primarily using it for old games such as dark age and some mmo's ie WAR which in case you guys haven't noticed, it's already old, it's in beta thus old. Like I said, I'd rather wait. I am not too impressed with the GT and it's newer version. Crom seemed to have the more balanced view. I already said why I couldn't get the damned card in the first place and tbh I'd rather wait and have what you guys call a crap card, obviously your memory needs to meet a goldfish now and again to refresh what is good and what isn't concerning hardware. You are spoilt and that's the end of it.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
I aint seen this card run yet, damned friend (coming for a beer etc grr) obligations etc. I am primarily using it for old games such as dark age and some mmo's ie WAR which in case you guys haven't noticed, it's already old, it's in beta thus old. Like I said, I'd rather wait. I am not too impressed with the GT and it's newer version. Crom seemed to have the more balanced view. I already said why I couldn't get the damned card in the first place and tbh I'd rather wait and have what you guys call a crap card, obviously your memory needs to meet a goldfish now and again to refresh what is good and what isn't concerning hardware. You are spoilt and that's the end of it.

the crap card meaning what ever you get, it's always going to be a crap piece of hardware given time :/

Bahumat

FH is my second home
The thing with the 8600GT/GTS is the fact it advertises DX10, but its not really very good.

The card will work fine on most games such as daoc etc. However if you pay a little more now, you will be future proof for far longer.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
obviously your memory needs to meet a goldfish now and again to refresh what is good and what isn't concerning hardware. You are spoilt and that's the end of it.

Wow you really are a prat. People with far more experience and knowledge about computers offer you advice in a polite manner and you act like this? Many of the suggestions are not about being 'spoilt' in fact most of them are far cheaper than the SLI options you were coming up with (for example 79XX,1950's or 3850's are all in the same price range as the 8600 yet all offer far more performance). By all means if you think you know more than everyone else stick your head in the sand even as every leading technology site has rubbished the 8600 family as having terrible performance for the $$.

For the record, earning a good wage so you can buy quality components for your computer is not in any way 'spoilt'.

The memory size is not the determent of how good the card is, 1GB ram on a 88 GT is still crappier then a GTX or a SLI solution with ami's 3780 card.

Most people play on plasma screens that span from 19" to 22" and then 512 mb of ram is enough, when you covered that area you want a fast card, with as many pixelshaders possible with a stable chip in it. The G92 chip is not a better architecture then the g80 is, thats a fact.

As many other people told you already, the 8800 GT or GTX alternativly crossfire/crossfirex with 3780 ( from AMI/Radeon ) is the best buy when you compare performance vs cost.

The new g100 chipsets in the 9800 GTX will be very price, probably close to 1000 dollars, they will be quite abit more powerful then the 8800 and g80 serie but its not worth the money.

What you should have done if you wasn't so stubborn was to buy SLI 8800 GTX, then you could play all comming dx10 games on high/highest ( with some tweaks in crysis as no aa/af since its fucked up in that game ) and in a year you could upgrade to the new g100 serie wich will have dropped in price with 30-40%, and probably will have newer revisions in the production line. Today the hardware is still ahead of the software so holding out and buying the best card money can buy is not worth it since you won't be able to push it to its limits, performance not used is wasted money.

With that said I know you already ordered and bought the lot, but the 8600 is a shite card, you can't play any new dx10 games on it on a standard 19"-22" plasma at 1680x1024 due to it having 256 mb of memory.

Also you will not be able to sell the 8600 since noone will buy it. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom