Which 3d card?

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I'm looking at the £300 range.

Is ATI still the best?

I was going to go with hd4850x2 2gb for per £ performance but then I saw this chart and it is by far the loudest and that is important to me so I would be willing to pay £380 for hd4870x2 2gb for the quieter model.

I'm thinking:

10,000rpm hard drive 300gb Veloci Raptor (with my existing hard drives for music/vids)
E8600 cpu. (I wont worry about getting a cheaper one then overclocking).
4gb ram - need to read up but want to spend £200+ so its fast.

I was going to wait until February but prices are only increasing so I'm gonna order this weekend! :clap:

Ebuyer told me the CPU when they next get stock will cost a lot more than the current price and dabs.com says the 4870x2 will soon cost £40 more :(

Kryten

Old Cow.
Hmm, probably not that accurate re price rises but then again it's their business, they probably know something we don't :)

Graphics cards are much of a muchness at the moment, the 4870x2 is still a rock performer but probably only worth it if you've a large screen and run at least 1920x1200 resolution. Otherwise I'd probably suggest getting a single card with the view to doubling up (crossfire) later down the line if you need more juice, or a higher end nvidia card like the GTX280. Drivers are getting a little rough from both parties so it's the lesser of two evils - it's anyones guess at the moment :D

Hehe, just realised, not seen them called "3d cards" for bloody years :D

Kryten

Old Cow.
Nath, that's out of order - now you're just twanging the parts of my brain that wants to play old games :| Loved Ultimate Race, but not nearly as much as Motorhead :D

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Well back in my day we had the option of 2 or 3d, not like now a days with no choice! :p

Considering my monitor is 1680x1050 I'll go with 4870 1gb. This chart shows they all seem to perform the same apart from silly high resolutions which only give 30fps in far cry 2 anyway.

Far Cry 2 PC VGA Graphics performance review

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ati are still like creative in making shit drivers tho

Helme

Resident Freddy
Thats odd, I haven't had any problems with my 4850 and Catalyst.

Kryten

Old Cow.
They're no worse than nVidia, in fact for the last few months they've been far ahead of Nvidia in the software side.
2 evils, lesser of.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The nVidia drivers for my laptop are fucking shit. If I ever get a BSOD it's cos of the dogwank 9600M GS driver.

That is all.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I have nothing more to add on the subject, however just thought I'd point out that for some unknown and moronically childish reason, I found the word "dogwank" hilarious :|

Almost as funny as "moist".

kirennia

Part of the furniture
The nVidia drivers for my laptop are fucking shit. If I ever get a BSOD it's cos of the dogwank 9600M GS driver.

That is all.

I haven't even been able to find any for my 8600M :/ Other then really obscure ones...

Embattle

FH is my second home
A rather annoying recent trend seems to be Nvidia passing the driver updates to manufacturers of laptops and letting them release them, thus they don't provide a universal version of the driver and in turn this means even slower updates.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
A rather annoying recent trend seems to be Nvidia passing the driver updates to manufacturers of laptops and letting them release them, thus they don't provide a universal version of the driver and in turn this means even slower updates.

think the main reason for it was pretty much every lappy manufacturer was not following nvidias reference design and using components that caused issues with thier mobile chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom