Where will you play WAR? (and why)

Gahn

Resident Freddy
GOA job adverts for WAR indicate they are opening offices in Ireland, maybe, just maybe, that means servers too? :)

Oh well time will tell, that doesn't cover us from the weird English Team choices anyway ^^

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
How is the ping on Mythic servers compared to GOA's?

Tilda

Last sentence is inaccurate, they already stated Goa will hold it, Goa related to France Telecom = Opentransit.
Would be QUITE surprised if it was anything different.
And anyway i don't wanna have to deal with any shit SoTG or wtf they gonna come up with eventually...

You have no proof of this. GOA are recruiting people in ireland. There has been no declaration by goa as to where the servers will be hosted. Yes there is a chance they'll be in france, but similarly theres nothing been said that means they couldn't be in ireland.
Irelands internet structure and connections are among the best in Europe after the reinvestment they've done over the last 10 years or so.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
You have no proof of this. GOA are recruiting people in ireland. There has been no declaration by goa as to where the servers will be hosted. Yes there is a chance they'll be in france, but similarly theres nothing been said that means they couldn't be in ireland.
Irelands internet structure and connections are among the best in Europe after the reinvestment they've done over the last 10 years or so.

Well i don't have atm time to back up the thing, but in early days of warhammeralliance.com i remember a debate about ppl being grumpy about Goa hosting service in EU after Mythic stated that they would have opened offices over Eu. MJ posted that they were full believers of how good the service hosted in paris would have been and that they fully trusted Goa for EU reselling. Now u can admit that they can (PROLLY) find it easier to get English mother language peeps to work in Dublin rather than in Paris (for translations, GMs and such since they don't need to be PHISICALLY where the servers are), from that to draw the conclusion that all EU server will be relocated in Ireland seems rather weird to me ^^
And ofc i concur with ya about the Irish INET infrastructure (and i for once would love to have EU servers there rather than behind the shitty France Telecom idiots) but u know .. they are french -.-

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
How is the ping on Mythic servers compared to GOA's?

Can only speak from DAOC experience ofc, but the ping on the US isn't much higher I have found and tends to be a bit less laggy and a lot more stable.

In playing terms, you can't relly tell the difference unless you play on dial-up.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Can only speak from DAOC experience ofc, but the ping on the US isn't much higher I have found and tends to be a bit less laggy and a lot more stable.

In playing terms, you can't relly tell the difference unless you play on dial-up.

I'd have to disagree - there's noticeable ghosting on the Mythic servers compared to the european ones.

Dunno what the dialup comment was about - you'll have a higher ping on dialup to both so you're far more likely to notice it on broadband :p
(100ms compared to 20ms US to EU, if you're on dialup it'll be 300ms to 220ms or something like that :p much less noticeable)

The OT connection has been pretty much lag free since the last lot of fixes which were, what, two years ago now?

Sure you get ISP's with problems (e.g. some danish IPs had some crappy connections about 6 months ago) but that'll (usually) affect you to both europe and the US and hardly the fault of GOA :p

Gahn

Resident Freddy
I'd have to disagree - there's noticeable ghosting on the Mythic servers compared to the european ones.

Dunno what the dialup comment was about - you'll have a higher ping on dialup to both so you're far more likely to notice it on broadband :p
(100ms compared to 20ms US to EU, if you're on dialup it'll be 300ms to 220ms or something like that :p much less noticeable)

The OT connection has been pretty much lag free since the last lot of fixes which were, what, two years ago now?

Sure you get ISP's with problems (e.g. some danish IPs had some crappy connections about 6 months ago) but that'll (usually) affect you to both europe and the US and hardly the fault of GOA :p

Well there's quite some ghosting going on EU servers and moreso since Agra was released.
And yes the major fuckups of OT are dated back 1.2-1.5 years ago.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

Played both on dial-up and adsl in euro and US and the difference at the time was most noticable on dial-up.

I have played Euro and US on 512k adsl as well and the difference is not really noticable at all. I tend to go ld on euro 1 or 2 times a night, on US 2-3 times a month.

I'm no expert, can't explain it, just my opinion based on experience from 5 years of gaming.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
fair enough, in my experience (again, 5 years of playing) the only times I actually went LD were when my provider (telewest) dropped my connection. This happened no more than 5 times in a year iirc. I like my cable ;)

Apart from when there were OT troubles when it was 2-3 times a night of course if not more.

I have crashed from my machine overloading (big zerg + keeps etc.), but that'd happen on any server...

To respond to Gahn:
There is ghosting on the Euro servers of course, more so when it's a busy/"laggy" area - i.e. lots of polygons. This is clientside lag from slower machines, it'll be the same on both sides of the pond....

Ghosting = Your client's response time (so CPU/memory etc.) + your network response time (this will be higher to the US)

That's in PvE - in RvR you've got both your response time and your enemies response time.

To be fair given how laggy things get with the keeps/agramon etc. the client-side lag probably outweighs any network latency. I've only really noticed the ghosting/server lag when I've been doing PvE things on the US servers.

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
I will go where the guild goes, but at the moment the favoured option (and mine) seems to be the US mainly due to a general dislike of GOA.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
I will go where the guild goes, but at the moment the favoured option (and mine) seems to be the US mainly due to a general dislike of GOA.

I was worried for a Time CLA would stay Euro with GOA !

At least I can continue with you guys on the US servers.

Eble

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
why are ppl so worried about all this anyway? if ur only comparing it to how GOA is running the DAoC servers u really dont have that much to go on. DAoC is 5 years(?) old now, have a 5 year old contract regarding most everything that was concidered viable at *THAT* time. things have changed concerning that.

EU servers *will* have the exact same standard of support that US will have, and OT/whatever cant have the same screwups they had before because they will have a much much larger company (meaning EA) that will breathe down their neck with a flamethrower if they cant get things working fast enough. thats probably the one thing EA will be usefull for. they dont like loosing cash that way...

that being said, i'm not entirely sure that the servers WILL be in france. looking at their job adverts. but either way i really coubt GOA can have a "DAoC standards" on anything when they open the WAR servers.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
why are ppl so worried about all this anyway? if ur only comparing it to how GOA is running the DAoC servers u really dont have that much to go on. DAoC is 5 years(?) old now, have a 5 year old contract regarding most everything that was concidered viable at *THAT* time. things have changed concerning that.

EU servers *will* have the exact same standard of support that US will have, and OT/whatever cant have the same screwups they had before because they will have a much much larger company (meaning EA) that will breathe down their neck with a flamethrower if they cant get things working fast enough. thats probably the one thing EA will be usefull for. they dont like loosing cash that way...

that being said, i'm not entirely sure that the servers WILL be in france. looking at their job adverts. but either way i really coubt GOA can have a "DAoC standards" on anything when they open the WAR servers.

When you watch a company screw-up so consistently as GOA have compared to the much better customer support provided in the US by Mythic it's hard to choose to play another game on GOA run servers when you have the choice. How many DAoC players on Euro would have rolled US from day 1 if they knew then what they know now?

I have good reason to dislike GOA and am often very vocal on the subject, that being said I will probably give them another chance and try Euro first unless Mythic pull the "Euro and US versions are incompatible" stunt again. If they try that old chestnut, it'll be US from day 1.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
probably EU; i dont know how busy US servers will be during the time i will be playing, and i wnat busy servers.

I'm guessing alot more money will be going in to hosting servers and maintenance from GOA for this game. Honestly tho, i'm going to need to wiat for more information on how they plan to run the game, if i feel strongly that the US servers will be alot better then i'll play there as from these posts it seems alot from the EU will be.

But i really like the ingame factor of playing with people from all over europe. I guess there will be the same factor on US servers with people from all over america and people from all over europe playing there which would be even cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom