Where will you play WAR? (and why)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
I thought it might be useful to have a show of hands on where you currently intend to play WAR?

Do you intend to stick to Mythic servers or will you go for the GOA servers and why?

(I would have done a poll but I don't seem to have that option - I think I need to send some cash to the God of FH again!)

Please read this before posting
With all these kinds of things people often post a protest response because they are not happy with things at the moment and so on. Please try to be as balanced as possible. When the shiny boxes are in the shop you might actually do things differently. Equally this is not meant to be a thread for bashing the crap out of GOA it is an attempt at an honest apprasial over what people indend to do about WAR.

Personally I am not sure I will even touch the game at the moment because I am starting to get fed up with MMO's. So please be honest.

Where will you play WAR? (and why)

Darkptang

Fledgling Freddie
im only gonna play WAR if there´s no BB class and gonna play on US! not gonna give my € to GOA :(

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
If WAR has multi-language clients (which I think it will have)
I'll play on EU/GoA servers

Laggy opentransit aside, I've had alot of fun on this cluster
It's really only been low population and the AM crew that prompted me to move to US servers.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
All depends on what payment options Mythic give, if i can you my maestro card or even paypal etc then i might play on US servers.

Will have to wait closer to launch to see which way the wind blows.

Remember though that a lot of people in europe will play WAR and they wouldn't of heard of GOA before or about there tempermental service at times.

:m00:

Argyle_Avendale

Fledgling Freddie
Dont know if I will play WAR, it still has the cartoonish gfx if im not wrong, and I really dislike that.

Besides that, DAoC is still fun for me.

But the thing that will weigh the most, about wether I will play WAR or DAoC ( or maybe a 3rd game ), will definately be friends... if they keep playing DAoC, then I will too, if not... well then I will most likely follow them to WAR ( if thats where they are going )

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
Probely gonna play WAR on the US server... hope my comp can cope it tho :(

Mundokar

One of Freddy's beloved
First off if WAR stays as toony as it is now i am not going to be bothered to play it.

As to the provider (i.e. Mythic or GoA) i will probably choose Mythic. Not because of the level of service offered but due to the fact that i want to play the english version of a game. The fact that people on the classicserver were switched from english to german is a bad misstake imo (even though the solution seemed good at the time and was asked for by a majority of the people). If they ever ever switch dyvvet to german.... :twak: :twak: :twak:

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Mythic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GOA ;)

So guess im gonna play on US servers, Orc choppa4tehwin xD

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
for me its down to were my guild will be playing.

Opentransit has been a nasty problem but tbh its been ok for a while now.

but if i had the choice id play US 100% waiting 8 months for charater to be restored is just unforgivable.

and tbh its hard not to bash GOA in this post if you want reasons why ppl might play US

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Wherever Nfd thinks to roll, i'll be there. That said i will fight my way to make us all roll Usa.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
oops posted in the wrong forum.

I did a search to see if these kind of threads had started yet because I think there is a chance to review how people feel.

As far as opentransit goes I have had virtually no serious problems for close on a year and a half. In fact GOA's recent reputation for stability surpasses my experience on any other service.

No what I am thinking of is first of all what is it about WAR that would want me to play?

Big pluses
a) really cool background,
b) GW are sticklers for content and will want it to be good on that front I suspect they will produce more and more for the game
c) Choice - they are allowing player choice as far as I can see, Shike even posted that you can level via pvp and avoid PvE altogether (I will believe it when I see it) however choice is a big feature that really attracts me. The recent press release seemed to indicate anything from solo to group and zerg play - that simply rocks!
d) population - is going to be great and population is everything in an MMO that much I have learned recently

I am going to leave the down sides for now because well it is more important to be constructive at this stage.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
I want to go to US servers, but if the majority of friends choose EU - i might do both :p

Vulcan

Fledgling Freddie
Definatly US servers.

Ide hate to think Ide have to leave another game GOA had hold of because they sit back & watch the servers die because they cant be arsed to to do something sooner about population problems.

No farting about with Mythic like GOA's RIGHTNOW, ease of login & paymnent on US no waiting for Patches & updates

As someone else put it Mythic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GOA

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
USservers for sure, if possible.

Bredbandsbolaget (my ISP) over global crossing to opentransit is.. quite crap sometimes while my connection to Mythics servers has been flawless for years.

Regarding Mythic vs GOA then Mythic wins the match for now, its not even a competition. During these last years, Mythic have done some really really strange things but that has with gamedesign to do, not with running servers in a good way. There are a shitload of things I think GOA could have done better, alot better. I think Req and the other GMs do oke (except for the TTincident.. lol), but GOA as a company is questionable, regarding everything from how their billingsystem works (billing in progress.. lol!) to how their supportmodel after 5 years still is wank in comparison to Mythics.

Etc yada osv jaja keke xd

Its not a GOAbash, I just think Mythic is a better company overall at running a MMO.

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
I'll be on the EU (GOA run) servers. I'm wondering how many of the people saying "US!" will actually go there... I'm betting a tiny fraction.

Lastly, and I'm sorry for bringing this up so much, it's not known that EU WAR will be hosted in Paris, on opentransit.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Nightchill said:
I'll be on the EU (GOA run) servers. I'm wondering how many of the people saying "US!" will actually go there... I'm betting a tiny fraction.

Lastly, and I'm sorry for bringing this up so much, it's not known that EU WAR will be hosted in Paris, on opentransit.

Once more I have to say that the service I get from GOA (in relation to connection) has been great for quite some time.

kivik

Part of the furniture
If I somehow had the power to control my friends, my guild players and rest of the DAoC community decision on where to start, I'd pick US, by a mile.

But now that's not the case, since most will play on EU that, I'll join them too.

One incident like the TT one or Prydwen item crash and I'm off, though.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Id rather bash Mythic than GoA.
GoA shown much greater skill in keeping the farmers and cheaters away from the daoc server than Mythic imo, that alone i reason enough.
I played WoW(i know its not mythic that made it), was one hacking frenzy if you knew what to look for, bots and shit everywhere, i dont want that where im gonna play.

And besides im gonna prefer everything in primetime. Maybe alot of euros go to US servers but theres still gonna be alot your missing out on, we dont know how big the raids(pve or rvr) is gonna be.

oh and

c) Choice - they are allowing player choice as far as I can see, Shike even posted that you can level via pvp and avoid PvE altogether (I will believe it when I see it)

you can hear it in this podcast: http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/podcast/files/Tir-RvR_explaination_final.html

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Id rather bash Mythic than GoA.
GoA shown much greater skill in keeping the farmers and cheaters away from the daoc server than Mythic imo, that alone i reason enough.
I played WoW(i know its not mythic that made it), was one hacking frenzy if you knew what to look for, bots and shit everywhere, i dont want that where im gonna play.

And besides im gonna prefer everything in primetime. Maybe alot of euros go to US servers but theres still gonna be alot your missing out on, we dont know how big the raids(pve or rvr) is gonna be.

oh and

you can hear it in this podcast: http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/podcast/files/Tir-RvR_explaination_final.html

I agree, GOA has done a lot better at keeping cheaters in control. Think thats the only thing GOA actually have managed to do better than Mythic. The status on cheats in US a year and a half ago was dreadful and in lack of other words to describe it, catastrophic. I think the community is partially guilty too though, if you read back on VN you can see that alot of the vocal population really didnt care about cheats at all, I think it has to do with that americans just see things very different from how we do in Europe overall. Some of those idiots even think its cool to cheat and that its leet to use radar etc.. here in Euro we normally look down on such people, at least I do. Hopefully, Mythic has learnt that nobody but idiots appreciate cheaters.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
GOA servers.

They've learned a lot from daoc and they're a lot more proactive on the "woolier" stuff such as griefing (see what Dark Wolves got away with - the copy cats got banned on the GOA servers)

Timezones - more people playing at my peak playtimes.

Lag - the US servers have higher latency (~100ms compared to ~30ms).

When OT is behaving (which it has been for at least a year, and when it does break GOA have proper channels to get things fixed faster now) it's faster.

100ms is not a lot of latency to the US and it's far from making the game unplayable but it is noticeable.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
100ms is not a lot of latency to the US and it's far from making the game unplayable but it is noticeable.

yeah the lag also annoyed me on us daoc. It wasn't much but you could feel it. Everything went a little slower :(

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
It will be europe and GOA. I think they do an ok job.

From a patch point of view we will be step with the US. So no grumbles there.

From a game play point of view, the intergration of the RVR and PVE will be alot tighter than our current thid/PVE setup. Yet not as annoying as PVP is on WoW on PVP servers. HAving various ways of leveling will be fun. If you look at the video I posted a while back (on how the zones are constructed) you will notice the RVR portion of the maps increases as the player moves up the tiers.

The 4 types of RVR in Warhammer will be alot more varied, providing for instance RVR and large end game RVR we have at the moment (server population willing). They have also learnt from some off the problems Instance RVR has generated in WoW. Higher levels griefing lower level players has been accommodated. Which is good.

I think we will hopefully pick a chaos and empire servers and move to them as a guild. So people can be Savage Conclave empire and chaos.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
EU servers for the same reasons Flim gave mainly.
Although I hope GOA will host the EU servers somewhere else than in France (or just keep the French servers in France and the others in England or somewhere centered in the EU, Germany or something).
US gives a 100+ ms delay and it might not be that much but in high end play that's not acceptable while you can be playing on 25-30 ms delay.

Also the timezones which will not be a problem at the start but when the game ages and the population starts dropping that timezone will matter and things like daytime raids will become harder if not impossible to do and I don't want to be forced to log in at 3am just to do some PvE/PvP.

Other than that I think GOA did a great job with DAoC and if it wasn't for them people would have lost all their chars on the Prydwen server in DAoC (seeing as Mythic suggested that GOA should just have wiped all characters).
Haven't been in need of much help from them but when I was in need for help the help was fast and I've always got a good and decent reply to questions I had when contacting GOA.
So personally I got no reason to move to the US servers but like others said it all depends on what my guild (and other people I play with alot) decide to do.

Gahn

Resident Freddy

Last sentence is inaccurate, they already stated Goa will hold it, Goa related to France Telecom = Opentransit.
Would be QUITE surprised if it was anything different.
And anyway i don't wanna have to deal with any shit SoTG or wtf they gonna come up with eventually...

rynnor

Rockhound
Flimgoblin said:
Timezones - more people playing at my peak playtimes.

For me thats the negative of playing EU - in the first months it will be crazy - on the US servers it will still be fairly busy but not overloaded at the times I play.

Flimgoblin said:
Lag - the US servers have higher latency (~100ms compared to ~30ms)..

You cant really say that as a fact - latency will vary based on your ISP and any problems on the connection like Opentransit - your also ignoring server lag that will be incurred on Euro servers at peak times. If all things were equal you'd be right but they seldom are.

I personally would rather have a slightly quieter server but I'm not dead set against GOA - they have had their problems at times with DAOC but I believe they have learned a lot and service has got better and better over time.

Its just going to come down to personal preferences.

Yvbani

One of Freddy's beloved
if I play, I'll definately be getting a US account, and if I am to figure of another reason than GOA managing the EU servers, it would have to be the population: Assuming that there are adverts for Mythics games in America, i have on the contrary never seen any kind of advertisement for DAoC in my country, which is one of the things that could probably have kept the game alive a little longer.

to my knowledge it will also be available in US version sooner than EU, or is that totally off?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Last sentence is inaccurate, they already stated Goa will hold it, Goa related to France Telecom = Opentransit.
Would be QUITE surprised if it was anything different.
And anyway i don't wanna have to deal with any shit SoTG or wtf they gonna come up with eventually...

GOA job adverts for WAR indicate they are opening offices in Ireland, maybe, just maybe, that means servers too? :)

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
i really wanted to play WAR on US servers but after running a poll on where people in my alliance would play i would be leaving all my friends behind to do so.
so i will stick with euro servers for the sake of having a great bunch of people to play alongside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom