Where has the spirit of Midgard gone?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Emergency Roma said:
...who is to blame more ...the one who sells or the one who buys ?

If nobody bought items for over ( let's say) 1 plat , nobody could set silly
high prices...imo !!
This is an obvious rule ;)

Emer

Yes, good point.
I really want a Dragon Shadow Great Axe, it's my one real object of desire drop-wise...recently one came on the market at 20 plat. "20 fucking plat?!?" I thought, depressed to see pure greed once again rear its head. If the seller didn't want the axe, he had no reason to set the price so high...last night I saw it had gone (had been there for 3 weeks, price too high for 99.9% of players ofc). Had it been 5 plat - still a lot of money, but attainable, at least - I might have made him an offer. He gets a nice wad of 5 plat, I get my dream axe, everybody's happy.
So.
Someone pays 20 plat for ONE drop, sending the message to the sort of people who think it's OK to set those kind of farcical prices that it's OK to keep demanding those kind of farcical prices.
Bah.

poky

Fledgling Freddie
Scorba said:
I know its hard being an Alb and can understand why you want to associate with Mids but you do have a board for you and all your Alb friends. This one is meant for people who play on Mid/Excal.

I hope the concept is not to difficult to grasp...

erm whats so bad about having an alb posting here? :twak:

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Rulke said:
Can't blame crafters, it's an incredibly tedious and laborious process with no guarantee of success in the case of MP stuff. Most crafters spending the same time it takes to make 1 MP item in DF instead and they could make 5p+. When you buy crafted you're paying for the crafters time as much as the materials.

People farming TG with SMs actually helped drive prices down imo. Imagine if the only TG items in mid were from 50 people or more raids? They'd be uber rare and consequently much more expensive, and there would still be nothing to stop people rolling for things only to sell them. You only have to look how ubiquitous TG weapons are today to see TG farmers had a positive impact. After all not everyone has the tools to farm TG, but everyone can farm DF.

Remember a lot of people use their CMs as a 3rd vault, putting stuff in it they prolly wont need. If no one buys it at least its not cluttering up the vault.. and if someone pays the high price thats good too. I know Ive put a few things in mine at high prices and they've been sold.

A final thought, if you don't like the prices of items on CMs in mid, go try shopping in hib/pryd.... theres nothing on sale there. For example I was watching Exioce's bard there; trying to buy a respec stone - there was 1 RA stone for 7p, no career stones and no single line stones. Personally I'd rather have the high prices in mid if there is availability and at the end of the day it's MY choice whether I buy it or not.
I was going to reply but think Rulke pretty much covered it :worthy:

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Yes, good point.
I really want a Dragon Shadow Great Axe, it's my one real object of desire drop-wise...recently one came on the market at 20 plat. "20 fucking plat?!?" I thought, depressed to see pure greed once again rear its head. If the seller didn't want the axe, he had no reason to set the price so high...last night I saw it had gone (had been there for 3 weeks, price too high for 99.9% of players ofc). Had it been 5 plat - still a lot of money, but attainable, at least - I might have made him an offer. He gets a nice wad of 5 plat, I get my dream axe, everybody's happy.
So.
Someone pays 20 plat for ONE drop, sending the message to the sort of people who think it's OK to set those kind of farcical prices that it's OK to keep demanding those kind of farcical prices.
Bah.

Yeah, you REALLY want one. I REALLY want a big fucking mansion with its own swimmingpool etc, but I live in a 1-roomer. Why? Because I cant afford a big fucking mansion with a swimmingpool etc. The fuckers should let me rent the mansion for same price as this 1-roomer, I mean its empty so they obviously dont want it. Its really simple, if you cant afford it, you cant buy it. In daoc however, you can farm money and become rich. It might take a while depending on how busy you are irl, but you can do it since you have no expenses or anything. So saying its impossible to get those 20p is pretty much BS, you just need to farm more and spend less money on crap.

Teslacoil

Can't get enough of FH
what no spirit of midgard ? are u shitting me ?

well that might be true atleast...take for example a thing happened the other day when i was helping a guildie lvling he's artie in TH after 2-3 hour's i needed to log , but before that he shoved up 200g ( that he had farmed there ) and som items and said that he owes me one-.....????....told him to fuck himself( in a gentler tone ) ...cause when i help someone i don't help for profit or caus ei wan't a favour back , i help CAUSE I WAN'T TO ! WITH MY OWN FREE WILL!....
well as u can imagine it took my guildie by surprise....he told me , i quote:" i have NEVER met someone like u , who don't wan't anything back".....so maybe the spirit of midgard or should i say the spririt of friendship...

i have now met 3 people on in Nidhug and one in RD adn in VG, that are like me , uncaring of money that is....i am NOT rich i can tell u that....i try to have atlest 5 plat on my sb all the time for expenses or if friends wanna borrow money ( i don't lend out the money anyway, i give it away ).

1 funny thing happend last week , i too a pause from emain in aegir and duelled some other sb's, and found myself sitting with a rd and a vg , and the vg told me after 30 mins he need to farm cash for a ra respec, the rd on the other hand said he has one for sale for 3plat....i said 2.5 , he sold it for 2.8 , i bought it and gave it away to the vg ....acknowledge that i have only talked to the fella for about 40 mins....but reason was he need a ra respec , but didn't have money....i had money but didn't need ra respec, so he got himself a surprise=)

well what i wan't to say instead of bragging about how good man i am , though i have to say it sounds like that....the point is everyone play as they wan't but these u all have talked about in this thread has nothing in my book to say....i help cause i wan't if anyone wanna help me back sure thx alot, but to ask money/items/favour back ? i have one word back to u FU!....

signing out from work now cya in the realm.

/teslacoil aKa Fastkiller sb at lvl 50 without TOA.

Sofus

Fledgling Freddie
Phule_Gubben said:
Just curious what the f**k has happened to Midgard.

ToA has really shown that it is greed before anything else that makes this game boring in many ways. Camping artifact mobs with 1-3 AFK peepz just to get hold of something and then sell it to hilarious prizes. :twak:

If people just had some helping spirit in their mind and stopped thinking "I have to be filthy rich or, I got to have 361 Zahurs crowns or whatever" I think this game would be more appreciated by more people. Help out instead of run em over.

People selling scrolls for really steep prizes and so on isn't really helping anyone but them self. Sure i know that there are many crafters around and so on but there isn't a big problem to farm some cash and u all know it.

Personally I rather give away scrolls that i don't need myself then selling them for money, or I can trade for something I need. The way it is now is just sad to see really. Give a helping hand instead of kicking on them.

just my 2 cents.

In some way's i agree with you but worst thing is if you camp while not being afk for many hours and then when the mob you camped spawns some idiots come and take it right infront of you

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
Yes, good point.
So.
Bah.
A monkey can earn 20plat in just a few evenings in DF, yet it takes several 5hr+ raids in TG with a group of 3-4ppl before the really good items start dropping. I fail to see why you grudge them a reward for their effort and organisation

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, good point.
I really want a Dragon Shadow Great Axe, it's my one real object of desire drop-wise...SKIPPED
Bah.

that axe was lying on my CM, a guildie asked me to sell it and named price and haven't give me allowance to adjust it according to market, so i never changed the price, and recently i removed it and gave back to him. If u want that axe - contact me, i will give u the name of owner, maybe u'll make a deal...but that will be none of my businnes.

And if u'd really wanted that axe - u'd buy it for 20plat.

i said 2.5 , he sold it for 2.8 , i bought it and gave it away to the vg

i am SB too. poor gimed SB. but i can make 700g per hour farming DF with my bot. If he cant do it - he's sucker and gimp. Period. Absense of bot will only reduce speed of moneymaking, not destroy it.

i have earned my 1st plat by killing savage wywerns in Raumarik and selling their pelts while leveling my bot. lvl 1 - lvl 20, then i went to Vendo.....

In daoc however, you can farm money and become rich.

in RL u can do it too! :p
=====================================================
and a last thing to note....a song

Money makes Daoc go around.

Money makes DAOC go around
DAOC go around
DAOC go around
It makes DOAC go 'round

A copper, a silver, a gold, or a plat
A gold or a plat
A gold or a plat
Is all that makes the game go around
That clinking clanking sound
Can make DAOC go 'round

GIRLS:

Money money money money money money
Monehy money

EMCEE:

If you farm enough to be rich
And you feel like a night's entertainment
You can pay for a Hay escapade

And alone, and you need a party
You can ring-ting-a-ling, for the maid
And you find you are left by your lover
Though you moan and you groan quite a lot

You can take it on the chin
Buy a scroll, port and begin
To recover on your twenties platinum house
GIRLS:

....Ooooooh
...Money
Money money money money
money money money money
....Ooooooh
...Money

....Ooooooh
...Money
Money money money money
Money money money money
....Oooooooh
...Money

EMCEE:

DAOC go around
DAOC go around
Of that we can be sure
Pffft on being poor

ALL:

Money money money
Money money money
Money money money
Money money money
Money money money money
Money money money money
Money money money money

EMCEE AND GIRLS: (in canon)

If you haven't any gold in the store
And you freeze at TK in Emain
And you curse to be ungrouped at your fate
When you haven't mp-shoes on your feet
And your hauberk thin as paper
And you look thirty pounds underweight
When you go to get a word of advice
From the fat little bastard
He will tell you to love farm seals
But when con loss comes a rap
rat-a-tat, rat-a-tat at the chat window

GIRLS:

At the chat window...

EMCEE:

Who's there?

GIRLS:

Con loss!

EMCEE:

Omg!
See how love flies out the door...
For

EMCEE:

Money makes the DAOC...
DAOC...
DAOC...
Money makes the
...go around
GIRLS:

...go around
...go around
...go around

...go around

EMCEE:

That clinking clanking sound of
Money money money money
Money money money money

EMCEE:

Get a little
Get a little
Money money
Money money
Copper, a silver, a gold
Or a plat
That clinking clanking

Clunking sound
Is all that makes the game go round

GIRLS:

Money money
Money money
Money money
Money money
Get a little
Get a little
Get a little
Get a little
Money money money money
Money money
Money money

EMCEE:

It makes DAOC go round!!

Author - Hoksar TheShaman

GP_Nattali

Fledgling Freddie
I couldn't realy be arsed to read all posts in this thread. I must say Im rather sick of these posts whining about prices... if I get an uber item or scroll that I dont need I will sell it for loads of cash, yes! and why would I do that? to be able to buy the uber items and scrolls that I need for MY template... thats the reason why everyone do sell for very high prices. but whining about it aint gonna help.

the reason to all money problems is Darkness Falls. shit loads of pure cash is farmed there every week. You farm seals, you buy armor, you salvage armor, you craft things, you sell the to merchants, thats where you get money from nowhere!
ok so thats the nice part about it. the BAD part is that you go buy some stuff from other players. they buy stuff from other players and so on. you farm more cash to buy more stuff and more cash is thrown into the game.
BUT where does all the money go?!?!
around and around and around and around and around and around and etc. they never leave the game in the way of NPC (merchant) costs. 15g each time you have to visit the healer NPC aint much. and thats about it! exept from housing where houses actually costs quite a lot. but that was a one time cost. and housing rush is over so no big sum of money is disappearing there eighter..

thats a fact which you cant do anything about.. so get ur thumb out ur ass and get more cash to make it all worse. because thats all you can do! :twak:

or somehow make everyone buy heckloads of houses. :touch:

Scorba

Fledgling Freddie
Take 40 people for a five hour raid several times and youll get a DSGA drop on average. Say 5 others want it on the raid and you should get it after about 40 hours of hunting. Spend the same time in DF farming seals and you could easily exceed 20 plat.

Alternatively you can hope that some fool is going to sell you it for less than the cost of a fully sced, procced and enchanted crafted axe which has lesser abilities would cost....

Makarilli

Fledgling Freddie
The spirit of Midgard ? Has it ever been there ? I kinda doubt it. Maybe in the very first days when Malmo was for all and even then greed had a strong grib of some peoples heart.
When amount of money goes up prizes go up, its the law of economy. Call it greed or whatever but somehow I do not see it as greed. Greed is taking something you do not need and keep it. Taking a thing for selling it at a high prize and use the money to buy another thing is not greed but a side-effect of the law of economy. ( I should mention I do not own ONE single artifakt, have only hunted them for others, who wanted them for use, and never bought one or sold one OR bought expencive TG stuff )

Greed is in my opinion wanting an item for how it looks ( you actually see that :twak: ) or taking a item because you may one day in the future be able / or want to use it while others may need it now. Once more :twak: :)

The true spirit of Midgard would for me be ( example ) people inviting others into BG for arti hunts giving them the opportunity to get the encounter while maybe not a chance for roll at the artifakt but that can be bought. The worst thing ive seen here is someone wanting over 1P for only the encounter and I would still need to buy the arti from him.
Another True Spirit would be not so feckin obsessed with perfect grps. First Malmo became only SM and Healer and a single Shammy, then Moderna was ruined ( Only took them 1 week ) PL is alright but dismissing all other chars just shows ignorance towards others and stupidity of future and is certainly not the legendary glorified Spirit of Midgard.

To summon it up True Spirit of Midgard is,
1. Give it a go, that player has a right or need too.
2. Do something for another just because he is there.
3. Act fair and act towards others as you would like them to act towards you, you do not NEED to be rewarded
4. DaoC may be your life but it is still just a game

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
the fact that allmost everyone can farm df and make ~1p an hour makes the prices very high.

Sure if you dont want to buy scrolls for 5p etc, you can spend 20 to solo farm them (ofcourse you could be lucky and get it after 5min).

Tg weapons are expensive, since you nolonger can "solo" focus pull them, you need like a fg, or a bit less and it takes about 5hour to be done. So the time spent there would be 8*5 = 40hours, where as a "soloer" in df would have made 40p in that time.

Isnt it greedy to call people lame cause they want to get "payed" for their time they spent farming?

If you really want something in daoc, its just to farm, 30p is 30hours in df.
That is 4.5hours a day in df. If you cant spend that time, or some other time you have two options.

A. realise that you have less time than the casual gamer and require ALOT of months to farm the items you want. - that is if you ever get them.

B. start with something else that isnt a online game.

oh and personally my "spirit" is all in my guild, couldnt give much effort or time into other people who i dont know or want to know :p

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Lots of talk about 1p/hour df farming here to justify the out of wack prices. What you people dont realize is that not everyone can solofarm df for 1p an hour (and seriously, i doubt you can go in there and make a steady 1p even if you have a good farmbot and buffbot since you wont always have the best spawns to yourself - and then you have to add time to hinge the seals as well).
I have a warrior and a bb so i could farm all day long but i *still* think the prices are pretty unfair to those that cant do this. In my guild only i can think of a fair few that have only 1 acc, or in some cases 2 accs but no character suitable for farming diamond mobs with (at least not at the speeds you are suggesting).

And ofc we have an inflated economy! But it is self-reinforcing since nothing is beeing done to stop it, neither by mythic or by the playerbase. If we as players came to a collective understanding that insane prices should not be encouraged (i.e. we wont buy) then ppl would not *be forced* to bring even *more* plat into the economy! The way things are headed now we will be looking at a rising inflation since noone seems to care - i would not be surprised if all those insane prices of today will have doubled by the end of the year :eek7:

So imo its in everyones best interest to at least try somewhat to keep prices down, unless ofc you enjoy those late night df farming sessions terribly.

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
Phule_Gubben said:
Just curious what the f**k has happened to Midgard.

I left :(

I understand if it feels strange without me. Although the spirit of midgard have always been greed. And since you have to farm for ages to get stuff we can farm you (except some random gimps named np) in rvr with halfdone templates anyways. Who's not happy.

Go inflation. :clap:

Stranger

Fledgling Freddie
Midgard spirit hasnt gone... it just shapeshifted into quality whine.

Ulkez

Fledgling Freddie
Javlar said:
I left :(

I understand if it feels strange without me. Although the spirit of midgard have always been greed. And since you have to farm for ages to get stuff we can farm you (except some random gimps named np) in rvr with halfdone templates anyways. Who's not happy.

Go inflation. :clap:

Soon even more fotm's will be out there to be farmed, not in halfready templates tho ;(

poky

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Lots of talk about 1p/hour df farming here to justify the out of wack prices. What you people dont realize is that not everyone can solofarm df for 1p an hour (and seriously, i doubt you can go in there and make a steady 1p even if you have a good farmbot and buffbot since you wont always have the best spawns to yourself - and then you have to add time to hinge the seals as well).
I have a warrior and a bb so i could farm all day long but i *still* think the prices are pretty unfair to those that cant do this. In my guild only i can think of a fair few that have only 1 acc, or in some cases 2 accs but no character suitable for farming diamond mobs with (at least not at the speeds you are suggesting).

And ofc we have an inflated economy! But it is self-reinforcing since nothing is beeing done to stop it, neither by mythic or by the playerbase. If we as players came to a collective understanding that insane prices should not be encouraged (i.e. we wont buy) then ppl would not *be forced* to bring even *more* plat into the economy! The way things are headed now we will be looking at a rising inflation since noone seems to care - i would not be surprised if all those insane prices of today will have doubled by the end of the year :eek7:

So imo its in everyones best interest to at least try somewhat to keep prices down, unless ofc you enjoy those late night df farming sessions terribly.

hmm cant really see how prices can be unfair in a non-regulated economy..

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
poky said:
hmm cant really see how prices can be unfair in a non-regulated economy..

Im saying that lower prices would benefit *everyone* in the long run. To constantly raise prices is to encourage the rising inflation in DAoC - thus making it harder and harder for new and casuall players to get anywhere. Thus eventually killing the game since they are the ones that pay to keep the servers open.
Ofc i know that it wont be possible to artificially try and keep prices down - there will always be ppl asking tons of plat and ppl willing to pay that plat. Its just sad that is the way it is.
The real problem tho, imo, is the difficulty in obtaining rare scrolls, items and artifacts - what mythic should do is make it easy for players to do what daoc stands out in: RvR. Personaly i dont care if 99% of the server has the same "uber" equipment as myself as long as ppl around me enjoy themselves, because if they do i usually find i do as well.

Redfern

Fledgling Freddie
Well, it's true that the old spirit of the game is gone. Not that I ever have seen it in any greater scale on Mid/Excalbur. I've seen some of it on Alb/Prydwen and at huge scale on a US server when I played there 1,5 year ago. Here at Mid/Exc. it's more or less like each man/guild for himself. And that is in all aspects of the game. I've never experienced true teamwork in RvR, exept when defending our own realm. True teamwork at working ppl to ml10, also was lacking to some extend, though some ppl tried to organize it. When I started playing the server I made a skald and a Darkness SM, in the thought that they would be good in RvR. As it turned out, our lack of putting up a massive resistance to (most often) Alb zergs in Emain - both those chars was more or less useless. Now I do RvR with my hunter - at least then I got a chance of making a few kills before getting stampeeded by 50 albs. As to ToA - Yes it's true that some ppl/guilds have a somewhat permanent camp on certain artefacts , like some have permanent camps at mobs in TG. What can the rest do ? - well, for my part - I farm scrolls. Why use 2 weeks to farm 10p, if you with a little luck can farm a few valuable scrolls in a day. Especially when those who farm the artefact are too lazy to hunt scrolls them selves :)

I my opinion we need to go back to basics - back to the original gameplay. I never needed SI nor ToA. I never needed more stunning graphics, that only made my pc lag. In fact, I never saw anyone demanding more challenge of the game. I never experienced ppl leaving the game, finding it boring. Now - put yourself in the shoes of a complete newcommer to the game..... I bet 90% are scared away within the first month, because it has gotten too complicated. In my opinion, DAoC will die within a year, because other companies have created new games that are much like what this game was in the beginning.

O

Ochi

Coming back to the original questions of this thread and not a discussion about economy/crafting/cm thingy, I personnaly have found the Midgard spirit all concentrated in one person who posts here ---> Rulke :worthy:

Never seen a person who does so much for his guildies and dont look after any reward of his actions. For example, while he could have been leveling solo with is bb some of his artis, he prefered that i came with him (im a cave shammy) and we spent all the morning together and this way he helped me gettin the last FULL level i needed for big ding. Not to mention how many artis/scrolls/items he gave for FREE !!!! to numerous guildies and also how many artis hunts he organised to have his friends happy.

Not that i am putting a guildie in top list of best players in there as i am not AB anymore, but i thought that after some complain/misundertanding posts a return to the original topic and a good example will be great to show us all that this is just a game and that friendship will allways pwn greed.

Ochidnax

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom