Where has the spirit of Midgard gone?

Phule_Gubben

Fledgling Freddie
Just curious what the f**k has happened to Midgard.

ToA has really shown that it is greed before anything else that makes this game boring in many ways. Camping artifact mobs with 1-3 AFK peepz just to get hold of something and then sell it to hilarious prizes. :twak:

If people just had some helping spirit in their mind and stopped thinking "I have to be filthy rich or, I got to have 361 Zahurs crowns or whatever" I think this game would be more appreciated by more people. Help out instead of run em over.

People selling scrolls for really steep prizes and so on isn't really helping anyone but them self. Sure i know that there are many crafters around and so on but there isn't a big problem to farm some cash and u all know it.

Personally I rather give away scrolls that i don't need myself then selling them for money, or I can trade for something I need. The way it is now is just sad to see really. Give a helping hand instead of kicking on them.

just my 2 cents.

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
Some sell scrolls for alot.. some even buy scrolls cheap and sell them for alot (that is worse imo). However, I have seen at least one CM where owner gives scrolls away for free :)

There is still hope.

Personally I made a gimped template (capping all resists, stats etc) with no + to melee speed etc. Why? dont have to fight the botcampers etc etc now.. and when I at some point might feel like it I can go get the items I want.. in a month or two.

(keyword is ofc. "etc")

Stranger

Fledgling Freddie
like everywhere... money >>> all.. especially in game, where u dont have to worry about health or love.. ppl try to get more money coz they will have or have in mind already to spend it on something.. what's the point of cash otherway?:)

As to me, I got all arts i need 2weeks ago :p and yes I gotta be filthy rich :)
btw spirit of midgard gone long time ago... looooooong long time ago.. soz, there's no old school anymore

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Phule_Gubben said:
Just curious what the f**k has happened to Midgard.

ToA has really shown that it is greed before anything else that makes this game boring in many ways. Camping artifact mobs with 1-3 AFK peepz just to get hold of something and then sell it to hilarious prizes. :twak:

If people just had some helping spirit in their mind and stopped thinking "I have to be filthy rich or, I got to have 361 Zahurs crowns or whatever" I think this game would be more appreciated by more people. Help out instead of run em over.

People selling scrolls for really steep prizes and so on isn't really helping anyone but them self. Sure i know that there are many crafters around and so on but there isn't a big problem to farm some cash and u all know it.

Personally I rather give away scrolls that i don't need myself then selling them for money, or I can trade for something I need. The way it is now is just sad to see really. Give a helping hand instead of kicking on them.

just my 2 cents.

I think it's always been like that. Although the fact there is rediculous amounts of money in midgard is probably the reason. Someone mentioned in game last night that they knew od someone who paid 135p for the tg warrior vest. Silly money.

It didn't help that up until recently focus pulling was an easy way to farm, I think this made a lot of people realise they can make a fortune from farming objects.

TOA has just made this worse. People know certain artifacts and objects are hard to get and on long spawn times so just farm them.

Just look at the auction boards, there are two SoM on there (last time I counted) which has got to be a slap in the face for all the genuine people who can't do the encounter due to farmers camping it.

I do think TOA has brought out the worst in so many people. People stealing items from raids, people cheating more in lottos and doing whatever just to get what they want.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Agree with Phule. ToA has really shown the true nature of many people :(

Those that camp artifacts with long spawntime for profit, roll for scrolls only to sell them (for silly high prices) and otherwise make it harder for their realm comrades to enjoy the game should be ashamed in my humble oppinion.

Maybe this has alwys been that way but ToA, with its concentration of "needed" items, has really accentuated the problem. But, even if this *has* always been the way, it is not a good reason for keeping it that way.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
TOA might have shown the nature of some people but please don't go tarring everyone because of them. I rarely play TOA (can't be arsed with it) and spend most of my time in SI, the people there have actually been nicer lately albeit because I usually ask them what the fancy shield is or where they got the funny looking helm :p

A friend of mine started playing DAOC last week, from level 1 upwards the people in and around Aegir, gna faste and Mularn have been very helpful from what he's told me. I don't think he's had even one negative experience of the game yet!

Gravmaskin

Fledgling Freddie
Sure i have taken some artifacts when passing and they where up that i didn't need but i have given or sold extremly cheap to guild-mates and friends. Seldom stand and camp an artifact that is to boring, rather logg a spy there to i can check in once in a while. And i would never camp a mob for money (if i need money i rather go DF and farm, and right now i have an artifacts that needs DF-xp so i have 1 more reason to be there)

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Phule_Gubben said:

just my 2 cents.

I agree and I disagree..
I'm levling some artifacts on mobs that drops really rare scrolls, and I level them there just because I can make some money on the scrolls at the same time. So instead of levling artifact and then go and farm diamonds in DF.. I sell the scrolls that drops and I just saved myself 5-10 hours of PvE in DF.

Scrolls is a new way to make money in DAoC.. 80% of the scrolls drops from blue-orange con mobs to.. so most people can farm them if they just put some time in it.
But most scrolls are so common now that you can probably afford them if you go out to mularn and kill a greycon skeleton :p

I agree about the Artifact part though.. camping an artifact and tell other people to piss off or whatever just so you can get it and sell it for insane amount of money is ridiculous, because the pop time on many artifacts are like 8-12 hours+.

And I'm helping people with quests/artifacts/ML's etc.. it's just that I will probably never give away a scroll that is worth a few plats.. exception have and will be made of course :p

And since most stuff aren't for free in DAoC you need the cash sooner or later. (My 40plat house went POOF for example :p)

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
TOA just brought this more into the light, there have been 'Selling' problems in Midgard for as long as I care to remember. Sadly i'd have to agree with Stranger though, there is very little sense of community in Midgard anymore. Atleast from my point of view :(

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Btw I know people who had some chars logged in TG for several months farming high level mobs and sold those stuff.. can't see any difference in farming TG for items you didn't need and then sell it.. and farming scrolls you don't need and sell those.

Shrek[BC]

Fledgling Freddie
Did any1 think about sell/buy is one of part the game ?
And a lot of ppl like that part :)

Stranger

Fledgling Freddie
sold! I pwn Midgrad spirit now :flame: - well game is changing and you cant bring back 60's too :)

grimgor

Fledgling Freddie
i agree with that its insane to camp/farm artis only for selling them for insane prices :(
need before greed imo :)

Scorba

Fledgling Freddie
Trade and farming is part of the game. If someone will pay 50 plat lucky them! No doubt they will spend the money on something they need.....

It used to be crafters making fortune charging huge prices cos they could until TG farming gave them some competition so crafting prices came down. Good for all but the greedy crafters...

Stranger

Fledgling Freddie
Dont start about crafters if u've never been one...
Crafters have much more income hinging rather than making stuff

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
First it was crafters making money off the backs of ordinary folk. Just ask a crafter how much money they made. Ok some of this wealth is from hinging accepted.

Then came focus farming / TG farming / dragon farming making even more money off the backs of ordinary folks. Just ask a TG farmer how much money they made.

Not that I am saying there is anything wrong with making money in these ways.

Now ordinary folk have a chance to make some money off the backs of crafters and tg farmers.

It is simple really. If you dont want to pay the price, then dont. Go and spend the 20 hours or so farming it takes to get that scroll. Those that are loaded (have made money off the backs of ordinary folk) and cba to farm will pay those prices.

In some cases, those rare scrolls are not as rare as you think, you just need to know where to look. Do some research, find out what and where to farm.

Scorba

Fledgling Freddie
Got interrupted making my post but Mehuge seems to have said most of what I wanted much more coherently.

Ofc Ive got a crafter. Doesn't excuse the money some people used to charge just cos its hard. Recently I sold a scroll which neither the hunters I was with or I needed which will see me almost to LGM in my current craft skill.

Point is the money people get from trade etc is used to make their own and often their m8s and guildies characters better. Ofc that doesnt make camping an arty 24/7 to sell it right but trade in drops and scrolls is fine imo and adds to the game.

Some people have 15 level 50 Moderna alts. They go on a hunt and say 'I have a character who can use that'. is it right that the person with 1 main can't sell something and buy something they need? Who is greedy there?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Shrek[BC] said:
Did any1 think about sell/buy is one of part the game ?
And a lot of ppl like that part :)

It's the fact that what in-game economy there is has been hijacked by greedy little kids who think it's OK to extort huge sums of cash from other players for things they themselves don't even want. Look at some of the prices people ask for items on the Market Explorers...insane, and purely driven by greed on the part of the player demanding the money. If you didn't even want the damn drop, why are you making it so damn hard for another player to get it? Greed, that's why. Pure fucking greed.

And before some idiot jumps in going "oh, 30 plat is nothing, I don't see what all the fuss is about"...shut the fuck up. 30 plat is a colossal sum of money for most players, it is flat out impossible for them to get it. Or perhaps the l337-kiddies (who obviously don't have a job or any other demands on their time) who think 30 plat for ONE TG vest is "reasonable" or 20 plat for ONE TG axe is "reasonable" have their own private DF, open only to them, which they can farm 24/7? To look at the farcical prices demanded, you'd think so.

One very good trend since TOA is it has forced the prices of TG drops (previously obscenely expensive due to the greed of some players) down to a level where a lot more players can get them. More hard slaps in the faces of the little money-grabbers would be a very good thing.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Can't blame crafters, it's an incredibly tedious and laborious process with no guarantee of success in the case of MP stuff. Most crafters spending the same time it takes to make 1 MP item in DF instead and they could make 5p+. When you buy crafted you're paying for the crafters time as much as the materials.

People farming TG with SMs actually helped drive prices down imo. Imagine if the only TG items in mid were from 50 people or more raids? They'd be uber rare and consequently much more expensive, and there would still be nothing to stop people rolling for things only to sell them. You only have to look how ubiquitous TG weapons are today to see TG farmers had a positive impact. After all not everyone has the tools to farm TG, but everyone can farm DF.

Remember a lot of people use their CMs as a 3rd vault, putting stuff in it they prolly wont need. If no one buys it at least its not cluttering up the vault.. and if someone pays the high price thats good too. I know Ive put a few things in mine at high prices and they've been sold.

A final thought, if you don't like the prices of items on CMs in mid, go try shopping in hib/pryd.... theres nothing on sale there. For example I was watching Exioce's bard there; trying to buy a respec stone - there was 1 RA stone for 7p, no career stones and no single line stones. Personally I'd rather have the high prices in mid if there is availability and at the end of the day it's MY choice whether I buy it or not.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Mehuge said:
First it was crafters making money off the backs of ordinary folk. Just ask a crafter how much money they made. Ok some of this wealth is from hinging accepted..

I really doubt many crafters made alot of plat actually crafting weapons/armor etc - do you have what the average retry rate is for mp stuff etc? If you calculate with the cost of average retry on most mp stuff you find for sale you will see that alot of it sells below the cost estimated to make them.
Besides, i personaly have 2 lgm crafters and i have never made *any* profit on them other than hinging.

Mehuge said:
Now ordinary folk have a chance to make some money off the backs of crafters and tg farmers..

I doubt any of us have any issues with "ordinary" folk making "some" money off scrolls/items etc, but when some ppl put it in system to methodically camp all rare and desirable artifacts just so they can sell them for 20-60p etc then *that* is what makes some of us annoyed, since buying at those hugely inflated prices if often the only way of getting some artis. Prices that many of us cant afford anyway (as i said i have 2 lgm crafters and i have never had that kind of plat).

Mehuge said:
It is simple really. If you dont want to pay the price, then dont. Go and spend the 20 hours or so farming it takes to get that scroll.

Its not so much an issue of scrolls for me - more of artis. And those you cant go and farm yourself when they are constantly beeing farmed by those that want to turn them into profit (SoM anyone?)

Scorba

Fledgling Freddie
This game rewards those who choose to or have more time to invest. Why flame other players cos they have more time to play than you do?

You can farm 5 plat in an afternoon in DF if you have a bot or a bit less if you go with group. That is a reasonable time frame for almost all players of this game. Ofc you may be like me and can't be bothered with that but money is there if you want to farm it.

Crafters used to charge more than they do now. Presumably the difference was profit? Or did they give it to the starving Mid orphans... No problem with them making money just think they should be included on the Mid Commies hate list ;)

As for the arty farmers, I don't think anyone here is supporting them. The original post was about people selling stuff generally.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Fana said:
I doubt any of us have any issues with "ordinary" folk making "some" money off scrolls/items etc, but when some ppl put it in system to methodically camp all rare and desirable artifacts just so they can sell them for 20-60p etc then *that* is what makes some of us annoyed, since buying at those hugely inflated prices if often the only way of getting some artis. Prices that many of us cant afford anyway (as i said i have 2 lfg crafters and i have never had that kind of plat).

Exactly. These artifacts are put in the game for players to use, and now some assholes are going out of their way to interfere with that process just so they can line their own pockets. Don't have the <insert snacky arti here> yet? Go to this spot and...oh, you can't. Someone's farming it. Again.

And those you can't go and farm yourself when they are constantly beeing farmed by those that want to turn them into profit (SoM anyone?)

Yeah, they'll camp it with their bot and then whine and whine and whine when any REAL player (ie not a bot) arrives to get the artifact for themselves. Instead of camping it to farm it to sell it bacause of...oh, there's that word again...greed. Pure greed.

Yeah, they'll camp it with their bot and then whine and whine and whine when any REAL player (ie not a bot) arrives to get the artifact for themselves. Instead of camping it to farm it to sell it bacause of...oh, there's that word again...greed. Pure greed.

heh i love these bots they park at arti spawns, if the arti is up and hes the only one there i give em a /rude and pull away..im sorry i dont respect camping rites of 1 bot over my grp..if you wanna bitch about me please do, i dont give a shit..if your genuinely there for the artifact..tough..should actually be there with your main..afterall i was bothered to drag myself and a FG to the spot hoping for a pop...and ive waited 2hrs before with a FG.. and then the bot springs to life to claim he was here first..hmm ok sure.. if im being nice i give em 30s to get his grp here while we buff before i pull, if not... unlucky should be so lazy next time, camp with your grp like normal people do.

Scorba

Fledgling Freddie
I know its hard being an Alb and can understand why you want to associate with Mids but you do have a board for you and all your Alb friends. This one is meant for people who play on Mid/Excal.

I hope the concept is not to difficult to grasp...

Emergency Roma

Fledgling Freddie
HHmmm.....

who is to blame more ...the one who sells or the one who buys ?

If nobody bought items for over ( let's say) 1 plat , nobody could set silly
high prices...imo !!
This is an obvious rule ;)

Emer

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Emergency Roma said:
HHmmm.....

who is to blame more ...the one who sells or the one who buys ?

If nobody bought items for over ( let's say) 1 plat , nobody could set silly
high prices...imo !!
This is an obvious rule ;)

Emer

Good point imo :)

Scorba

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm...sit on a useful scroll that I may need some day for an alt or sell for 1 plat. Less scrolls on the market = less arties activated and hurting Albs. Who wins other than the Albs? Also which of the 37 people offering 1 plat do you sell it to? we can then argue about whats a fair selection system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom