News Where do you get your news?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Some of you may know, I did away with my TV last year. Since then I've blissfully been more or less oblivious to the force-feed of mundane crap deemed "newsworthy" by the media.

In recent times I've found that I am unfortunately also oblivious to things that I would actually liked to have been aware of in the world. So, darling Fredlings, share with me if you will your sources of news on the intertubes!

I'm looking for technical but also general news. Of the former I do have things like The Register and a Dutch IT Tweakers site. Of the latter, I occasionally browse things like BBC and The Guardian but I have grown unhappy with those lately. Especially the BBC news site is laughably unworthy of it's name imo. Help a bruv out brahs!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The beeb for all-round news (I barely look on their tech pages though - just news and sport). Engadget has really gone to shit - I find about 1% of their articles worth clicking on. A lot of stuff on reddit; /r/worldnews for news, for tech news something like /r/hardware or /r/futurology (and to a lesser extent /r/technology but the mods there were found to be censoring certain content and generaly being biased twats). El Reg and Ars Technica and, when I was looking into watercooling stuffs, sites like Overclock3d are usually pretty reliable (with good content on Youtube as well). Using reddit basically means I'm relying on others to aggregate my news for me but I find that once you've been on there a while and subbed to whichever subs interest you, the front page really does become tailored to you and is mostly relevant. There are also some really high-quality subs that offer news on specific things, like /r/syriancivilwar.

The only thing I watch on TV is live football and F1 and I'm doing away with the Sky Sports subscription this year so it will be pretty much just a Plex outlet from then on.

Last edited:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
beeb, al jazeera online, channel 4 uk tv, reddit for breaking.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I tend to read the Telegraph, Economist and Bloomberg / BloombergView for my main news.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Ars technica for tech news. Twitter for general world news. I've set up a list with all the major news outlets, it's pretty interesting to see how news travels. My phone came with a flipboard app that aggregates news, but I hardly ever use it.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
It used to be so easy. If embattle didn't post a link, it wasn't news.

Now it's all just clickbait bollocks. I listen to BBC Radio 4 and 5Live, but I have to add such a huge pinch of salt to everything it's hard to formulate opinions on what one hears.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
My home page is BBC which I scan through in the morning and when I get home, if I'm in the office then I dip in and out of it through the day, also radio news bullitens.

Don't read a newspaper, never have and I don't watch and TV news, simply because I'm never in front of the box when they are on. Most of what I watch is recorded, catch up or what I DL

sayward

Resident Freddy
Twitter. I follow a South African journalist and he gets even uk news first.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Guardian, Telegraph, New scientist, Boingboing, Reddit, Washington post, CNN, Daily mail/Express/Mirror, Independent, Daily Mash.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
BBC, The Times / The Telegraph / The Guardian / The Independent / FT / The Economist / for Accountancy tech - Accountancy today / CIMA / CGMA publications

TheDon

Fledgling Freddie
BBC APP for me. I have to say that I think the license fee is worth every penny, even if it does give them an unfair commercial advantage. Their stuff does just work on many levels

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Guardian, BBC (but only Sport, I've given up on their news pages altogether), Independent.ie for local stuff and if I want to get in a row with Catholics/Nationalists. For technical/nerd stuff Gizmodo (US version), TheVerge, and LinkedIn, which is surprisingly handy for content. I'm using Twitter more, but you have to be very selective. I used to read The Reg all the time, but for some reason I've just stopped, no idea why.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
BBC for headlines then various. Anything that isn't a hack organisation like the sun or guardian really.

TdC

super thanks for the info guys!

@Trem , first time I saw the flipboard app on my tablet I was like "wtf is this even for?", and when I found I couldn't uninstall it I was like " :eek: ".

:eek:

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
super thanks for the info guys!

@Trem , first time I saw the flipboard app on my tablet I was like "wtf is this even for?", and when I found I couldn't uninstall it I was like " :eek: ".

:eek:
Samsung tab? Think it's hard wired on Sammys. It's good though you fluffy Dutch cow :eek:

TdC

yeah I was gifted a samsung. imma have to root it.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
BBC/Guardian.

I also use Facebook quite a bit for random opinions on events (Hashtag stuff works quite well!)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
yeah I was gifted a samsung. imma have to root it.
You can remove the Flipboard page from Samsung, ie the one where you swipe to the right.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Tend to use a few sources to try to limit bias as far as possible.

Current Events - Daily Telegraph / FT / Sky News / BBC (less and less since it became Guardian-lite) / Google News /Twitter

Opinion - Telegraph / Spectator / Spiked / Breitbart (for Dellingpole and freedom of speech content) /Capx

Sports News - Sky Sports / We Ain't Got No History

Special Interest Stuff - Pistonheads (great forums too) / Watts Up with That / Xperia Blog / GSM Arena / El Reg (less and less these days though) / evo

For amusement purposes - Guardian (it's the new Wordpress), Daily Mail (obviously), Breitbart (the US part of it)

Bodhi

I get plenty of silly leftie views from Twitter :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I get plenty of silly leftie views from Twitter :)
I don't doubt, old bean, but please try not to sell your views as "unbiased"...

Last edited:

Bodhi

Oh don't worry I don't look on my views as unbiased (not that I think anyone can claim that).

They're just correct :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom