Confused Where do all the fresh crisps go?

rynnor

Rockhound
In Asda/tesco/waitrose they all stock walkers that are 3 months from expiry - I'm pretty sure that a foil packed bag of crisps can last a year so where have they been for the other 9 months?

I thought it was a duff batch but it seems a deliberate policy as its been consistent for ages - is there some huge warehouse full of crisps slowly going stale somewhere and why???

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It takes me a while to personally spunk in every bag.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
They have all been sent to feed the 2 million people moving underground in Norway because Planet X o_O

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
In Asda/tesco/waitrose they all stock walkers that are 3 months from expiry - I'm pretty sure that a foil packed bag of crisps can last a year so where have they been for the other 9 months?

I thought it was a duff batch but it seems a deliberate policy as its been consistent for ages - is there some huge warehouse full of crisps slowly going stale somewhere and why???

When I was like 10, and I played for a football team, one of the dads there worked at Walkers, on the production line (Because they're made in Leicester still) and every 2 weeks, he used to bring a box, like, a box, with at-least 40 packets per box, with crisps that were going out of date in a month or so, how did they have these left overs, i'll never know.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Not sure about your part, but i some parts they go from maker -> delivery center -> out accordingly to shops. Or some such arrangement. The delivery center gets restocked less often(depending on salenumbers), so the ones in the store have just been sitting in a cumfy storage as they are none the worse for wear.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Petrol garages & newsagents often sell out of date stuff. I was in a garage before Xmas, and a customer was going crazy cos the chocolate bar he bought earlier was 3 months beyond sell-by date.

But "beyond sell-by date" doesn't mean its going to kill you if you eat it.

I've eaten bacon thats been in my fridge 3 weeks (the packet said once opened eat within 3 days). Tasted exactly the same TBH.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
TBH it doesn't in mine either. I thought I had eaten it all, but the Mrs hid it behind other fridge stuff

Roll on Saturday morning: set your dial to Bacon FM !

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Chocolate doesn't really go bad, so much so that I think it was only very recently they even had to put a best before date on any chocolate bars or gift boxes.

There are some items you probably should be careful of. I personally wouldn't risk 3 week beyond "use by date" eggs in that Saturday morning fry-up :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Dairy no, meat a week after the date, so long as its in the fridge. Cereal will last forever as will most sugar based items.

My wife obsesses over use by dates, but I do all the cooking so she has no idea half the time.

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
Dunno about the fresh ones, but I know where they all go just as they hit sell by date.
My local Sainsbury's shelves.
Never known a shop with so much product that expires on the day you are shopping, or earlier.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
the answer is simple, they don't have as long a shelf life as you think.

Gwadien

Could also be shit management. For example, the local Tesco used to have some dipshits restocking it, and having out of date stuff at the back of the shelves for ages, until it was a busy day, and everyone fancied raping that particular product, and went to the back of the shelf, finding out of date stuff.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nope, it's that they don't have 1 year shelf lives. 3 months is about the maximum for a pack of walkers. They restock and rotate often. Also walkers have a policy with most major retailers were they buy back whole boxes that are out of date.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Could also be shit management. For example, the local Tesco used to have some dipshits restocking it, and having out of date stuff at the back of the shelves for ages, until it was a busy day, and everyone fancied raping that particular product, and went to the back of the shelf, finding out of date stuff.

I pulled a 4 month out-of-date jar of relish off the shelf in Tesco a few years back and took it to the customer serice desk, they apologised and i left. I did the same thing for the next 3 weeks in a row with the same batch of relish.

BTW all crisps go out of date on a Saturday

That is all

Gwadien

I pulled a 4 month out-of-date jar of relish off the shelf in Tesco a few years back and took it to the customer serice desk, they apologised and i left. I did the same thing for the next 3 weeks in a row with the same batch of relish.

BTW all crisps go out of date on a Saturday

That is all

haha, yeah, there's a group of people that go to Tesco and find out of date stuff and take it back, getting free gear and monies.

The best I heard was a Kit-Kat Chunky which had no wafer, but just pure chocolate which sounds awesome, and someone sent a letter of fury to Nestle about it, and they got sent 5 packs of 5 Kit-kat chunkies.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
you can tell if its ok to eat an egg or not simply by putting it in a bowl of water. If it floats, the air bubble inside it had gotten too big and it won't be good. Job done.

Gwadien

you can tell if its ok to eat an egg or not simply by putting it in a bowl of water. If it floats, the air bubble inside it had gotten too big and it won't be good. Job done.
If we didn't have Females, we'd all die, of egg poisoning, i shit you not.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
i swear I was shown that trick when I was about 11 by my mum....if heston did it last tuesday then bully for him

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
are you being mean to the heavily pregnant woman Gwadien? She might cry!

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Heston probably floated it in a bowl of sulphuric acid though and then served up the shell on a bed of daffodils

Gwadien

No, I'm never mean to women, unless they require it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
if you hold up an egg to a light you can see inside it. if there is a chicken inside it, you shouldn't eat it.

edit - unless you are chinese

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If you crack an egg open and it smells like death, you probably shouldn't eat it :p

By the way, outdated meat and opened packages of such; yes, it may taste the same, look the same, etc, but it also might have some lovely tapeworm or other such larvae in it that you won't notice. If not that, bacteria for certain.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Shelf life isn't huge - if you get a bag that expires in 3 months, the product inside is still fresh and good to eat. I don't eat crisps that often, but when i do, the salty wavy ones are the best.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
My brother used to work in a shop where they didnt own any stock they just had space, where distributers and manufactorers could hire a spot, and they got in some really fresh crisps, a few times the crisps where just a few days old and the difference in flavour between the new ones and old once was pretty big...

had a bag of fresh dill crisps was heavenly, was hard to put the bag down.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
If you crack an egg open and it smells like death, you probably shouldn't eat it :p

By the way, outdated meat and opened packages of such; yes, it may taste the same, look the same, etc, but it also might have some lovely tapeworm or other such larvae in it that you won't notice. If not that, bacteria for certain.

Fresher meat is more likely to have worms in than older meat. That's one of the reasons why meat is generally left to hang for a while, especially pork. Tapeworm are not airborne so unless you leave you meat where animals shit you don't need to worry about tapeworm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom