When is this "open beta"?

Cerbos

Fledgling Freddie
I want to know if the game is worth pre-ordering because the only good thing in pre-ordering WAR is that you get an open beta key and I don't want to pre-order it now and then get the key 1 month before release.

So, when will it be "open beta"? Q2? Q3?

I hope it's soon, othervise I'll go and spend my money on other games instead and get WAR when it's released.

I guess no one knows yet, but I had to ask...

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Pretty sure GOA themselves don't know the answer to this one 100%. When the Mythic devs are happy? When they are ready to let hordes of people see because the game is in a finished stage?

Open beta means the game is ready for release, the current delay means it isn't, so we have no way of knowing really when Open beta begins. But yeah i'd expect it to be about a month before release, to test out live servers etc. Maybe August?

ileks

Part of the furniture
No idea tbh, about 3-4 weeks before release i would imagine.

Deathsprit

Fledgling Freddie
well on the play.com website it dos say "Pre-Order bonuses (available from May - or when the BETA begins)"

so im gessing may - june time

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Well it says a few days before.

I imagine open beta will be a few weeks to stress test the servers then the "head start" will be a few days before release, probably 3.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Well MBJ over on WHA has been saying quite a lot since the delay was announced that the NDA would be lifted sooner than ppl might think, I have a feeling the open beta would be close to the same time as the NDA lift so what others have guessed seem about right, although as you say nobody knows :kissit:

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Don't hold your breath, im guessing August or maybe even later.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Well MBJ over on WHA has been saying quite a lot since the delay was announced that the NDA would be lifted sooner than ppl might think, I have a feeling the open beta would be close to the same time as the NDA lift so what others have guessed seem about right, although as you say nobody knows :kissit:

Open beta in this case simply means an invitational beta phase with no NDA. I can't give any kind of ETA for this but the open beta will be the last phase of beta before the game goes live.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Open beta in this case simply means an invitational beta phase with no NDA. I can't give any kind of ETA for this but the open beta will be the last phase of beta before the game goes live.

:
GUARANTEED OPEN BETA ACCESS
Be one of the first players to experience the glory of battle and the thrill of WAR when the Open Beta phase begins.

:

says guaranteed ?;)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
well it will be guarnteed for those with the special pre order wont it all that means is you will def get an invite

Kremlik

Fledgling Freddie
I suspect that Fileplanet and such like will get a bunch of keys as well but I dought there would be a 'open door' to the beta, as I've said before it's smart to only allow those willing and wanting to be part of the WAR experience not allow everyone as his dog on board and get false numbers of expected players when most of the freeloaders feck off at launch, from the way it looks those IN the beta will be players by the end of it, unlike many that have said 'X million' in beta yet only 20K stay on

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
I suspect that Fileplanet and such like will get a bunch of keys as well but I dought there would be a 'open door' to the beta, as I've said before it's smart to only allow those willing and wanting to be part of the WAR experience not allow everyone as his dog on board and get false numbers of expected players when most of the freeloaders feck off at launch, from the way it looks those IN the beta will be players by the end of it, unlike many that have said 'X million' in beta yet only 20K stay on

I agree with most of what you say, but in my experience there are a lot of "freeloaders" who unfortunately normally get into the early beta stages then bugger-off at launch. Such players usually have 30-50 applications from separate email addresses which they use for every beta to increase their odds of getting in and then if they get multiple invites they give them away to their friends, most of which are also doing the same thing.

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
I suspect that open beta will be a very short "stress test" and thats it, the problem for the dev team is so many people who scream out wanting access to beta, only want it to just play the game, and unlikely to offer constructive feedback. from the devs point of view thats not a good beta tester.

Guild beta i dont think will be too long either, or possibly not as big as we hope :( we will see i guess, but judging by the way they are testing the game in "parts" (IE. one race at a time, small group of features at a time etC) it will be a fairly quick blast to test the guild features and UI for some feedback and lead to a quick build up for open beta before release.

Kremlik

Fledgling Freddie
Yea like I said with the invites most devs just stick with just the randomally drawing from the newsletter subs and throwing a handful of keys on FP etc... but you tend to notice that GOA and Mythic are actally doing FAR more entry comps then any other game with the writing and drawing comps? I know it's unfair to us none creative types but it's storta a 'CV' stating 'if i wasn't a fan and commited to play/test the game would I do this?' thing... I think Mythic/GOA will do more then just set new ideas out in the actal game, but I think it's kinda showing everyone what to do during the beta process

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Thought it was prepaid CE beta. So is that another beta step?

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
It's just another step in the beta that is occurring now. All the same people as now will still be in it with a load more by then. They will lift the NDA so people can talk about it openly and let in games industry people and press to play but it won't be available for just anybody to join up to. Open in this case means lifting the NDA but EA Mythic / GOA will still control who gets in. One way of getting in is as you say by getting the CE pre-order pack.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
It's just another step in the beta that is occurring now. All the same people as now will still be in it with a load more by then. They will lift the NDA so people can talk about it openly and let in games industry people and press to play but it won't be available for just anybody to join up to. Open in this case means lifting the NDA but EA Mythic / GOA will still control who gets in. One way of getting in is as you say by getting the CE pre-order pack.

Correct.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
So with Open you just mean thoose who got invitation and they can blabb all they want about it.

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
So with Open you just mean thoose who got invitation and they can blabb all they want about it.

and many, many more people will be let into the beta, yes. (that's what they've said from the beginning about 'open beta')

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Won't happen until after the focus tests and the guild beta if that ever happens. My guess would be August.

Deathsprit

Fledgling Freddie
just a thort :eek7:, but i was woundering wat happens if most of the closed beta ppl, have bought CE and get an Open Beta key, since the closed beta ppl go thro till the live version release?

GOA and EA :worthy: must have taken this in to account for the numbers for stress testing hopefully.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
People in closed beta will automatically be in open beta.

People in closed beta that bought the CE did so for the extras in the box and extras in game.

I imagine the people in closed beta won't be able to get the few days head start though and will remain limited to the test area until release.

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
I imagine the people in closed beta won't be able to get the few days head start though and will remain limited to the test area until release.
Unless of course they too ordered the pre-order pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom