Whats wrong with Thane?

E

etcetra

Originally posted by froler-mid
mmmm...thanes...

we got a str/con buff....(shammy got the same, doesnt stack etc...crap imo)

insta single spell, works like a interupter with poo dmg...(a 'pull spell does the same job..)

pbaoe spell, poo dmg, interupter thing again.....pbaoe breaks mess etc...seldom used in fg vs fg....

single cast spel....this one have been better now when its re-castble...(rooted, range dmg etc..)

and mjollnir, in keepdefenses...yay....

but i agree , a thane is a CRAP version of the warrior....we got poo RA's, poo SC line(see above).

before thanes were equivilent(sp?) too champs and pallies in other realms...

pally - best tank in game now? (FH RA, end+slambot, plate etc)
champ - Annilation4tehwin, +some nasty debuffs
thane - CRAPPY :((((((((

i gave up mine.

Then it must be extreamly embarassing to die off a rr3 Thane?
Remember it pretty good, dinged 50 a week ago or something.
You tried to pop me, but died ? Was using a 98% double bladed cleaver and a GA SHIELD.

Okey, i was buffed - but afaik you were to.

AND, i finnished you with the pbaoe spell. Sluuuuut! ;|

R

Randalff

Originally posted by evilknight
Thane>Warrior in duels

yeah, I win from warriors.... not easily but a warrior with a realm rank similar to mine is toast

D

duact

thanes should have insta ae lifetap recast evry 2 seconds!!!!!!!111

J

jox

Both skalds and thanes needs a serious boost, or else there will only be the mentaly ill playing those classes.

F

froler-mid

Originally posted by etcetra
Then it must be extreamly embarassing to die off a rr3 Thane?
Remember it pretty good, dinged 50 a week ago or something.
You tried to pop me, but died ? Was using a 98% double bladed cleaver and a GA SHIELD.

Okey, i was buffed - but afaik you were to.

AND, i finnished you with the pbaoe spell. Sluuuuut! ;|

what did u dream later? :D

(i was unbuffed rr6ish alot, belive it or not ^^)

that being said, i know i ganked alot of infils with my thane.... :D

L

Lillian.

Whats wrong with a thane? hmm.. most like other guys says the determination.

And I dont think a thane should be a defender nor an attacker its more like a interrupter.

are they worthless? mnaahh, thane could be important aslong as he or she is meant to do, interrupt other casters with Mjollnir! :)
just got to see how frustrating it is for a wizzie to cast or any class similar to a wizz.

Mjollnir then followed by a castable stunn from the healer then assist from RM to help out the thane and then SM gets the opportunity to run in and start pbaoe ppl there and here :)

If your an experinced Thane and know your thane inside and out, I wont say no to join my grp, aslong as you do your job and alert me/grp when your going to mjollnir

Lill ^^

J

jox

Originally posted by Lillian.
Whats wrong with a thane? hmm.. most like other guys says the determination.

And I dont think a thane should be a defender nor an attacker its more like a interrupter.

are they worthless? mnaahh, thane could be important aslong as he or she is meant to do, interrupt other casters with Mjollnir! :)
just got to see how frustrating it is for a wizzie to cast or any class similar to a wizz.

Mjollnir then followed by a castable stunn from the healer then assist from RM to help out the thane and then SM gets the opportunity to run in and start pbaoe ppl there and here :)

If your an experinced Thane and know your thane inside and out, I wont say no to join my grp, aslong as you do your job and alert me/grp when your going to mjollnir

Lill ^^

When the thane have IP(+ FA 2) and Purge(33 points) the pure tanks are already working on Determination or Ap(abilitys the thane dont get access to).

Thanes dont have the same amount of hit points or weapon skill as warriors either.

And the primary spell for thanes; MezzbreakingMjollnir?

The second shout is aoe too I belive.

Tried out a thane in bg 1, that was enough for me.

O

old.Rei Ayanami

You can't judge all classes on their access to RA's... I've seen several very very very good thanes on prydwen which i'd rather meet than a warrior anytime. They have the ability to guard a healer or caster and yet they can attack targets with either single target or AE spells while staying close. Which means they have a job all the time. Offensive or defensive... they are good if you know how to use them.

S

schinkaar

rei, the problem is that you wont always have the option to do that. So what if you can guard healers better than warriors in one scenario, when that scenario is far less frequent than others?

L

Lillian.

Originally posted by jox
When the thane have IP(+ FA 2) and Purge(33 points) the pure tanks are already working on Determination or Ap(abilitys the thane dont get access to).

Thanes dont have the same amount of hit points or weapon skill as warriors either.

And the primary spell for thanes; MezzbreakingMjollnir?

The second shout is aoe too I belive.

Tried out a thane in bg 1, that was enough for me.

Well, I can take care of a Thane, no problem.
Purge down? (no detemine) I'll unmezz them all that I need is a shout from the thane that his/she is mezzed.

Like I stated above, Thanes arent an attacker nor a defender class, thanes are made for interrupting support classes. And Yes I do mean Mjollnir, I dont know but most healers got problem with that, but I dont, I find mjollnir handy in a critcal times when warrior,skald or a berserker overlooks an enemy support class in the heat of the battle, the Thane can easly drive the caster away from the fight in otherwords out of range of killing healers or healing his or hers allies.

another little thing by what I mean by "they arent an attacker tank class or a defender class", I dont mean they cant even kill a bunnyrabbit even tho its cute and cuddly ^^, they can kill but they arent as good or have higher HP as a warrior that I will admit to, specially when they get stronger in the upcoming patch.

:) phew...

L

Lillian.

Originally posted by schinkaar
rei, the problem is that you wont always have the option to do that. So what if you can guard healers better than warriors in one scenario, when that scenario is far less frequent than others?

So.. in otherwords you mean the RA's the Thane got and the Warrior got is unfair, well so far as I know. Warrior is the main tank for midgard realm, so that class really needs the extra skill with weapon and Hitpoints, but that doesnt answer question that warrior has more features then thane got, far as I know
Mythic or GoA whatever.. these guys want the classes to work as a team, so like I said on the other posts, if your in trouble all you need is to yell or ask for help :)

its all about teamwork, team works properly no complaints :)

O

old.SadonTheGrey

Well afaik Divious is a thane on Pry (RR8?) and every time I see him in Emain I run the other way :p

R

Reverant Mezz

play what u wanna play and stop listenin to ppl who bitch about classes :)

G

Gorb

Originally posted by Reverant Mezz
play what u wanna play and stop listenin to ppl who bitch about classes :)
Nice thought. But it is quite hard to play what you wanna play, when you aren't welcome in rvr. Imo if a group dies because there's a one thane, there's something else wrong besides the fact 1 tank in group didn't have determination.

Originally posted by rg-zorena
But ppl who are going to make their fist char in midgard don't make a thane shadowblade or hunter because they dont get group rvr.
When I started playing in march 2002 I had no idea what rvr would be like, I think there weren't even any 50s at that time? I believe that any player who started playing thane, hunter, sb or any other char didn't know if their chars would be good in rvr or not. I soloed to level 32 with my thane, he was great at Pve, how could have I known that he would be underpowered (and underestimated) in rvr.

I think it is sad that so many people refuse to take thanes in rvr group. Things were much better for us before cheap purge/ip and determination.

Too bad I don't have time to level a savage to 50 (WoW will be released before that happens).

Mythic give level 50 thanes a one time /level 50 command

R

redknapp

I have to say I have played with a few Thanes who know the class well, and they are a fine addition to any group.

The problem I have with Thanes, like many Skalds, is that you meet so many that do not want to admit that their char is not a warrior.

Take Skalds for example. A good Skald approaches a battle very carefully, not locking horns until all the enemy tanks are busy. The effect of damage add to the entire group, including pets, opposed to the actual amount of damage they can do in the battle if they wade in, means that keeping the Skald alive is essential to the group. In fact, the ideal job for the skald is to hang back and mez or thump anything that comes near the supports.

Sadly what i see happen, more often than not, is Skalds wade in like a zerker, only to end up first dead.

Thanes have a very different role to the Skald, but i find tend to make exactly the same mistakes. Basically, the Thane is a great disrupter for the enemy, IF he uses the various DDs at his disposal at appropriate moments. For instance, Mjollnir is a superb tool if there is a healer who knows it will be the opener. The Mjollnir basically disrupts the casters in the other group, the PBAE shout can do the same, which is then followed by the Healer casting Mez.

However, this doesnt generally happen. Most of the Thanes you meet tend to cast their DD, the steam into whatever they cast upon, even if its a tank. If they manage to take down that tank, they then start chucking about the Mjollnir, meaning that any secondary CC is pointless. I lose count of the amount of times that a Mjollnir has released rooted tanks before the Cleric/Druid is down, or even worse, released a Friar.

In conclusion, a Thane is a great addition to a RvR group, they need less buffs than other tanks, they get slam if they take shield to 42, and although they do not get determ, they are better than most classes at preventing the mezz in the first place. Sadly, it seems that most folks who play Thanes and Skalds really wanted a Warrior or a Zerker.

E

-ElemenT-

Hitpoints aren't that bad now... 1642hp here.

The class needs a little love yes, but I don't really care what ppl say about Thanes, I love to play him in PvE and RvR.

O

old.MikhailGudlik

Originally posted by old.SadonTheGrey
Well afaik Divious is a thane on Pry (RR8?) and every time I see him in Emain I run the other way :p
You must be seriously gimped=D

V

vintervargen

if there is something that should fix Thanes its either

- additions/fixes to stormcalling, add a decent pbaoe :))) or whatever
or
- unique ability, such as new styles that are added to SC line, that will proc dd's, dot's whatever when sucessfully doing an attack, somewhat like reavers.

imo, thanes is a class with lots of interessting options.

D

dlyan

givf more thanes!!!1!

honestly i love mine...been playing the bugger for nearly a year now and i love him.ok he may not be the FoTM char which is tehl33tzormashfortehwin char but hell hes a lot more fun imho.played a savage....got bored of him.zerker was boring.warrior was the same.
i always come back to my thane for a bit of gratuitous fun.PvE i can pull and use provoke to farm seals in DF.in RvR slam insta insta provoke will kill a squishie or hurt a tank enough to give me the edge on them.
at the end of the day i'm not in it for the title of l33test mofo in emain....i want to have fun,relax and have a laugh with my guildies.

just my tuppence there.

B

bjaadi-

thane is a warrior with some fluff tho you let ws and hp up(fully buff a thane and a warrior and youll see why) for some lightnings.. ive been told so many times that thanes are gimped etc but if you play this game for fun pve and some rvr
thane is great.. if you aim at the rvr scene alone your better off playing savage or warrior

and zorena havnt you played with montarloo loads of times?

as for the gimpness of the class i took it one step further and specced 50 weapon ie 2h thane

R

rg-zorena

Originally posted by bjaadi-

and zorena havnt you played with montarloo loads of times?

yup, i have had green con hunters in grp too so?...

W

wiiwii

Originally posted by -ElemenT-
Hitpoints aren't that bad now... 1642hp here.

The class needs a little love yes, but I don't really care what ppl say about Thanes, I love to play him in PvE and RvR.

i have 1820 selfbuffed as a healer... :(

O

old.Sko

1642 on tank class ?
My infi had 1762 buffed, and i still lacked aug con tough etc when i stopped playing.

L

look

happy with my thane

well i'am low realm rank no ip as specced wrong, used on regenration so i cund lvlv faster, 3L2 sofar, 3 yellow albs in a row, or alb paladin uses ip and i have none he still dies 90% of the time, duels against warrior's wun most, against skalds wun most, against bezerk i mostly get killed same with savage, dunno if just me who is loucky, but solo's nightmares cronical night's with a small end just, some will come say now so do i with a warrior or savage, i still belive it's funn 2 kill a hole grp of lvl 35 albs and after kill a yellow one while 3 other yellow ones wacth no end even, killing small red mobs with end and so on, shall say i'am a slam thane.

have healer aswell mostly teamed up with a thane, it's no problem, just use ae stun instead so who need a spiritmaster when thanes trows hammer 4 times in a row :)

B

bjaadi-

well zorena you stated earlier that thanes are not worth havin in a rvr group... montarloo was/is a part of your lineup. I dont disagree with you in a perfect rvr group theres always someone that can do what a thane can do better...

O

old.Sko

Infiltrator is excellent duel class too, loosing only to merc in 1 vs 1 fight given same realm rank, though i wont bet my money on group using em as tanks in fg vs fg fights.

PS. If you have well played group then you can be efficient with just 7 people, that's if last spot taken by say hunter or thane.

O

old.MikhailGudlik

Originally posted by bjaadi-
well zorena you stated earlier that thanes are not worth havin in a rvr group... montarloo was/is a part of your lineup. I dont disagree with you in a perfect rvr group theres always someone that can do what a thane can do better...
He plays savage now mate=]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom