Whats wrong with Thane?

F

Fagane

serious question,

Why does everybody dislike Thane (or atleast looks like it) and they seldom find RvR groups. Whats wrong with eth class or abilities? Looks to me like a solid class...

Fagane

E

evilknight

Because Warriors can do the job 2x as good as Thanes
Prot healers, slam etc

O

old.amoeba

^^^ what he said.

Warriors defend better, and berserkers attack better.

However with the parry/block bug fix next patch, I think thanes will become a very good class - possibly even taking the offensive tank position from nerfed berserkers (anyone know if this is happening on US server?).

And of course they actually have a use in keep warfare - spamming aoedd on the door.

However the loss of cheap/good realm abilities over warriors and berserkers really hurts skalds and thanes.

W

Whoodoo_RD

Originally posted by evilknight
Because Warriors can do the job 2x as good as Thanes
Prot healers, slam etc
Whered that cobblers come from? Total rollox!

Only probs with Thanes is their self boofs are not as good as shammy, and they have a hit point table equal to rogue classes. Other than that a vastly underated char IMO.

Needless to say that some of the most notable players in Mid are or were Thanes, and I dont hear you calling them gimps?

Thanes are just as good as any char, unfortunately Mjolliner gave us a bad name in the beginning (ask any pac healer), and weve never been forgiven for it.

W

wiiwii

any tank that doesnt have deter is not a tank im sorry :/
skalds get into grp cuz ppl need speed. but what do u need a thane for? even if str/con buff gets fixed, all normal rvr grps have atleast 1 shaman and or 1-2 buffbots...

B

bouh

Has any1 ever tested Thane unieq RA (Static Tempest = Ground-targetted radius cloud spell that lasts 30 seconds. Every 7 seconds anyone near the object representing the center of the cloud is stunned for 3 seconds.)?
It could be as useful as Itchor.

Maybe it's the sense to be a Thane.

W

Whoodoo_RD

Any Thane worth his salt is a slam thane, 42 sheild, at least 46 SC rest weapon and parry.

This gives them:

Self boofs (saves conc)
Slam (always handy) / Protect / engage / intecept
Single cast DD - no recast timer now, just to annoy casters
AE DD - Last resort, but often a good one
Insta DD - single shot caster interupt
PBAE - insta cast area effect DD, again a last resort
Good damage dealing - not equal to warriors or savs, but still not bad
Chain Armour - good absorbtion

Apart from that a lot more fun to play than a warrior IMO, but thats just my opinion.

Like i say, underated and slightly gimped by Mythic, but still a good all rounder.

Static tempest I did test, its really not worth 14 points, 30 min recast time, 3 sec stun, uber resisted, no good trying to apply to chars who are already stunned, 7 sec repeat - leave 4 secs to get out of the 350 radius. In other words, major sux! Giv sommit like MCL would be better.

O

old.anubis

today game is _completely_ different from what it used to be half a year ago or a year ago
now it is game of pure tanks with cheap ip/purge and high determination
savage with det4, aom2, buffed with 37 aug healer stays in mezz for 8 woopy seconds. imagine deter5 & aom3 at ~rr9 o_O
high rr pure tanks (gunnerr :mgwhore: ) dont even notice that some1 just spent insta on em

there is NO place in good rvr group for a thane, sorry peeps
i will take anyone, savage/zerk/warrior, hell even post 1.62 zerk, instead of a thane

C

cadiva

Originally posted by old.anubis
today game is _completely_ different from what it used to be half a year ago or a year ago
now it is game of pure tanks with cheap ip/purge and high determination
savage with det4, aom2, buffed with 37 aug healer stays in mezz for 8 woopy seconds. imagine deter5 & aom3 at ~rr9 o_O
high rr pure tanks (gunnerr :mgwhore: ) dont even notice that some1 just spent insta on em

there is NO place in good rvr group for a thane, sorry peeps
i will take anyone, savage/zerk/warrior, hell even post 1.62 zerk, instead of a thane

What a lot of bollox ;) My normal guild RvR group has 2 thanes and we manage just fine thanks.
There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to play this game nor any 'right' way to RvR, it's purely down on what people like to play.

Any spec, any group make up is as viable as any other one because at the end of the day it should be about people having fun.

If you won't take a thane in your RvR group just because they are a thane then I feel quite sorry for you as obviously the 'cookiecutterfortehwin' mentality has invaded your brain at the expence of the lets have fun option.

RPs are not the be all and end all of this game.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Whoodoo_RD
Static tempest I did test, its really not worth 14 points, 30 min recast time, 3 sec stun, uber resisted, no good trying to apply to chars who are already stunned, 7 sec repeat - leave 4 secs to get out of the 350 radius. In other words, major sux! Giv sommit like MCL would be better.

should be good if ye drop it on casters ;) interrupt for 30s?

but yeah it's seriously underpowered... course it'd be very easy to shift it to being sickeningly ovrpowered :) so thye have to be careful with that one ....

F

froler-mid

mmmm...thanes...

we got a str/con buff....(shammy got the same, doesnt stack etc...crap imo)

insta single spell, works like a interupter with poo dmg...(a 'pull spell does the same job..)

pbaoe spell, poo dmg, interupter thing again.....pbaoe breaks mess etc...seldom used in fg vs fg....

single cast spel....this one have been better now when its re-castble...(rooted, range dmg etc..)

and mjollnir, in keepdefenses...yay....

but i agree , a thane is a CRAP version of the warrior....we got poo RA's, poo SC line(see above).

before thanes were equivilent(sp?) too champs and pallies in other realms...

pally - best tank in game now? (FH RA, end+slambot, plate etc)
champ - Annilation4tehwin, +some nasty debuffs
thane - CRAPPY :((((((((

i gave up mine.

P

parzi

well thane won meelee champs tourney :p
but without the selfbuff that would not happen. i'd say a high rr thane is pretty usefull and would be ok, but it takes a higher rr to get all the nice stuff that warriors etc can get much cheaper

E

evilknight

Thanes is 100000x more fun to play then a Warrior.

In RvR Warriors do a better job then a Thane because of:
Higher hp
Better RA's(cheaper)
Better defense

But in PvE :
......Thanes is simply the best MASS PULLER in the realm, HAMMA TIME!
And normal singel pulls ofc.

What Thanes need is more spec points and a hp raise, and ofc cheaper and better RA's

E

eragrim

Isnt every players highest and only wish to be the "Realms best MASS PULLER"?

Z

zmurf

Originally posted by evilknight
What Thanes need is more spec points and a hp raise, and ofc cheaper and better RA's

Wow u really like overpowered char's or ?if u would give a thane all this it would become better than any other tank in the game, by far ...

P

Petronella

Cheaper RAs, Higher HP and Evade ability, AND some addition/change to the Stormcalling spec-line and I'm happy

Z

zmurf

Originally posted by Petronella
Cheaper RAs, Higher HP and Evade ability, AND some addition/change to the Stormcalling spec-line and I'm happy

Originally posted by zmurf
Wow u really like overpowered char's or ?

O

old.anubis

thanes are not supposed to get cheap ras and determination, since they are hybrids (like champs, paladins, reavers and skalds)
they are on hybrids dmg/hps table, this will also not change

if you add ras, hps, weaponskill, evade and more spec points, you will get warrior who just got SC line for free ^^

ps. btw, remove lw from champs and you will get the same gimps as thanes are :p

B

bjaadi-

well give thanes evade 1 and det(at higher cost) ap etc
and ive tried that uber tempest shait on gorre... not near worth the points :p

E

evilknight

Originally posted by zmurf
Wow u really like overpowered char's or ?if u would give a thane all this it would become better than any other tank in the game, by far ...

What I ment was:
2.2 spec line for Thanes(maybe)
Cheaper IP(for all the hybrids)
And a SMALL hp raise, or evade1 maybe
Better SC line
I don't see how that's overpowering the class

Just read the TL report:

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=52191811&replies=0

F

froler-mid

Originally posted by old.anubis
ps. btw, remove lw from champs and you will get the same gimps as thanes are :p

erm no, check champ 'spell' line, like 3-4 debuffs? - those are faaar more worth then some gimped str/con buff that a buffer can do better.

P

Petronella

zmurf: eh no, none of my chars is overpowered, and I dont whine about them not being overpowered all day long, I was just making a suggestion/ideas :p

R

rg-zorena

so what if thane is more fun to play in rvr... seriously they are shit with no determ there is nothing they can do better then warrior or savage or zerk..

And duels doesn't say a thing about real rvr.

O

old.MikhailGudlik

Originally posted by parzi
well thane won meelee champs tourney :p
but without the selfbuff that would not happen. i'd say a high rr thane is pretty usefull and would be ok, but it takes a higher rr to get all the nice stuff that warriors etc can get much cheaper
Cause warrior was at work ...

C

cadiva

Originally posted by rg-zorena
so what if thane is more fun to play in rvr...

So what.... (gasps in shocked amazement)?

Urm that's the whole point of the game surely to have fun.

Or perhaps if you have to run with a 'perfect' group and only RvR in Emain with the aim of getting more rps to get more 'l33t' then I guess no, people wouldn't get the point of a thane being fun.

R

rg-zorena

lol.. okay the fun in this game is so different for many but let me tell you that playing the class you play cant get a grp because most of the realm think it suck, -must hurt you more then playing a gimped warrior who can't do lightnings.

For me its about being the best in rvr at all times is my goal, thats where I have fun playing with people with the same attitude, that is to try win every battle, - that meens being serious about your own gear having crafted items at 99 or MP having armor and weapon proccs having weapons from TG that doesn't only look good but gives you a Clear advantage when you are RR5.

There might be two uses of a Thane that could make him a perfect group member tho, 1 being a part of a relic zerg and use ae hammer to lower their frame rate (for they who havn't used /effects none/self) or seriouly speaking vs hib groups when you are unable to do cc against them and ae style vs them is better (pbae and the insta dds).

But ppl who are going to make their fist char in midgard don't make a thane shadowblade or hunter because they dont get group rvr.

Im not trying to be rude or anything I just dont think that thanes are worth having in group.

R

Runolaz

Originally posted by rg-zorena

Im not trying to be rude or anything I just dont think that thanes are worth having in group.

Yes, if your kind of game is to be "best" in RvR and later seek a guild with ppl that have the same goal, like RG, then a Thane is not "worth" having compared to what a Warrior can do. On the other hand there are lots of guilds/peeps out there that don't take RvR to the extream and would have no trouble getting a Thane instead of a Warrior.

Having said that Midgard needs to focus more on support classes and less on Tanks. With a perfect Mid grp consisting of no less than 5 support, it goes without saying that everyone and his dog can't roll a Tank. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom