whats up with the constant serverbase lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Seems half of Hibernia/Glastonbury went linkdead all at once at about 16:45pm, the lag has been dire for days now and today is just about as bad as I have ever seen it. Something really needs to be done, ever since I started playing again in December not a day hasn't gone by where I haven't had lag problems. The same goes for many of my guildmates and we are all using different ISP's it seems so it has to be either a router or a server issue.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Completely fucking ridiculous and ruining the game 100% now. We have been trying for ~30 minutes to do the lvl 45 Epic instance and everyone keeps LDing all the time.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
Seems half of Hibernia/Glastonbury went linkdead all at once at about 16:45pm, the lag has been dire for days now and today is just about as bad as I have ever seen it. Something really needs to be done, ever since I started playing again in December not a day hasn't gone by where I haven't had lag problems. The same goes for many of my guildmates and we are all using different ISP's it seems so it has to be either a router or a server issue.

"You need to talk to your ISP"

Yeah right, the problem has to be with the route the servers are connected to, and IMO that makes it GoA's responsability to investigate after all they are paying for this hosting ... but they are using our money. <shrugs>

With the addition of instances this makes it even more impossible to play now.

Numerouse people have sent in and posted pingplots yet every time we are asked to do the same surely how many times do we need to do this ? Its clear where the problem is.

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Elitestoner said:
its pretty unplayable at the moment. havnt seen the lag this bad for a long time

Nice timing on your bot ld there <O/ The usual zergers came for there 60 rps, they got them easier unbuffed.

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
logged off now and being forced to play us :( me and bot ld'ing every 5 minutes makes rvr pretty pointless.

Corran

Part of the furniture
OK just in, started a pingplotter to record this evening (DR still not here so may not play again anyways) so will send that on if it shows anything

ANyways, this the main problem time i see for last night, hopefully the crappy image host works :p

my.php

Corran

Part of the furniture
Tears said:

Yeah right, the problem has to be with the route the servers are connected to, and IMO that makes it GoA's responsability to investigate after all they are paying for this hosting ... but they are using our money. <shrugs>

Numerouse people have sent in and posted pingplots yet every time we are asked to do the same surely how many times do we need to do this ? Its clear where the problem is.

you SHOULD talk to your ISP, keep complaining to them and to GoA and that way the problem gets attacked by several sets of people meaning it more likely to get fixed.

But then that just my opinion... it sucks but more pressure put on them the better

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Gamah said:
Absolutly fucking retarded, I AM GOING TO SHOE THE ENTIRE GOA STAFF.

Gamah's unhappy, OHNOES.

Wait, nobody cares :(

Tilda

And I'm sure those complainging, mainly;

Svartmetall, Oboy, Fefner(spell southampton right fs!), Gamah and Efour have ALL sent in ping plots right?

Oh, wait, you havent because its easier to whine on FH and let the problem sit around, than sent in plots and get it fixed?

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
I logged on tonight after quite some time away from DAoC playing WoW...I went LD after 5 minutes as did lots of others on Alb/Glastonbury and the rest of the evening I had constant lagspikes as well as LDs.

Its strange that this has been a problem since very long in this game yet I only notice lag in heavy crowded areas in WoW...but no...its probably everyones else fault that huge amount from all over go LD and have lag in DAoC.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Just had an entire afternoon of horrific lag. Had a FG to kill the CoF, we did that but how things didn't go wrong is beyond me. Then a merc ld'ed and the servers blocked him out so we were 7. Killed legion and the first 4 of azareals' shades then boom...our only cleric ld's. What a fantastic waste of an afternoon.

Gamah

Banned
Tilda said:

Svartmetall, Oboy, Fefner(spell southampton right fs!), Gamah and Efour have ALL sent in ping plots right?

Oh, wait, you havent because its easier to whine on FH and let the problem sit around, than sent in plots and get it fixed?

I have actully, so whats your point?

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Tears said:

If it is a problem with our hosting then of course it's our responsibility to sort it out. In most cases though it isn't. Just because it's after your ISP backbone, doesn't make it our network. In addition, the internet 'moves', routing tables change, different hubs come into play at different times of day and from different locations. It isn't the same place every time which is why we need you to send these details in. If we don't know where the problem is coming from, we don't know who to shout at. If we tell our techs to sort the lag out and there's no problems on our network, nothing will happen. If we shout at OT, the first thing they'll ask for is proof that it's their network. Without that evidence, they won't even open an investigation. Same if the problem is with Telia, TeleDK or any other backbone provider. If it was clear where the problem was and it was the same every time, it would have been fixed already.

Corran, your main issue seems to be with the second hop on your route from Mistral.net where you get over 5 second lag. That's a router in London according to the address. If it's a main international hub, it's possible that a lot of people from a lot of countries are routing through it and thus suffering from the same problem as London is one of the main European datahubs.

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:

It takes no effort to whine :|

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
If it's a main international hub, it's possible that a lot of people from a lot of countries are routing through it and thus suffering from the same problem as London is one of the main European datahubs.

I find it very unlikely that ppl from scandinavia and eastern/sothern europe connects thrue a London hub. Most ppl complaing about lagg so the most probable cause is a OT/france telecom hub that causing the lagg. Ofc the London hub can bitch to but its not likely its the main issue here.

Tilda

Oboy said:
I find it very unlikely that ppl from scandinavia and eastern/sothern europe connects thrue a London hub. Most ppl complaing about lagg so the most probable cause is a OT/france telecom hub that causing the lagg. Ofc the London hub can bitch to but its not likely its the main issue here.
How are you so sure about this?
I've often been routed through america to get to france!!!
Or is this the whole, "once someone gets computer problems, suddenly everybody and their great auntie milly is a network technician"?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I live in Wales... I hardly ever LD, worst case Lag is few seconds and thats when everyone on teh planet DAOC is moaning...otherwise its fine..

Move to Wales imo.. We Rule *!!!

*We know how to hot-wire teh interweb so it works!!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Tilda said:
How are you so sure about this?
I've often been routed through america to get to france!!!
Or is this the whole, "once someone gets computer problems, suddenly everybody and their great auntie milly is a network technician"?
doesnt take a network technician to work out if a large ammount of the player base on the excal/pry cluster (based on my guild and alliance people from all over europe aswell as 1 from australia) is getting lag/drop outs it will be the lowest common denominator thats at fault.
But then its always been goa's policy backed up by their local e&e team to deny anything is wrong for a few weeks before admiting something did indeed go wrong

I liked the "we are looking into it" reply better than the "its your isp" line tbh
either way off go my ping plots into the black hole

Chilly

Balls of steel
TBH You daoc folks, you probably dont even need pingplots. I would say 20-30% of people were having horrific lag spikes earlier - why not just look for the *huge* hubs where all the data flows through, there can only be a couple.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
doesnt take a network technician to work out if a large ammount of the player base on the excal/pry cluster (based on my guild and alliance people from all over europe aswell as 1 from australia) is getting lag/drop outs it will be the lowest common denominator thats at fault.
But then its always been goa's policy backed up by their local e&e team to deny anything is wrong for a few weeks before admiting something did indeed go wrong

I liked the "we are looking into it" reply better than the "its your isp" line tbh
either way off go my ping plots into the black hole
To be honest, you want to hope it is Goa's fault. That way it usually gets fixed pretty quickly. Most of the time though it hasn't been, so it takes time to shout at different companies and get them to move. Off the top of my head I can only remember two or three instances where it was actually a problem in Goa's network since NF was released and all of those times there was an 'our equipment broke but we fixed it' post on the website within a day or so. The rest of the time it's been OT in general, or companies like TDC, Telewest/NTL and once it was Sprintlink in the US.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
chretien said:
To be honest, you want to hope it is Goa's fault. That way it usually gets fixed pretty quickly. Most of the time though it hasn't been, so it takes time to shout at different companies and get them to move. Off the top of my head I can only remember two or three instances where it was actually a problem in Goa's network since NF was released and all of those times there was an 'our equipment broke but we fixed it' post on the website within a day or so. The rest of the time it's been OT in general, or companies like TDC, Telewest/NTL and once it was Sprintlink in the US.
Point being 90% the downtime is caused by goa's own mother company, which we have repeatedly been told goa has nothing to do with. You would think after 3 years they would have a minimum service agreement with them..
but they dont so this will carry on.
It also is rather rich that goa blame the playerbase when the problems have started immediately after they implemented the new expansion
We have the same problems >>EVERY<< expansion without fail, more than likely the lag is caused by people downloading DR, which begs the question if their network cant handle it (which it obviously cant), why o why did they host the expansion. It would have been just as easy to point them to the US servers to download it and then have a small patch file to download from the EU hosts to change the update.dat.
But then we are the mugs that keep paying for this joke of a service

Corran

Part of the furniture
Requiel said:
Corran, your main issue seems to be with the second hop on your route from Mistral.net where you get over 5 second lag. That's a router in London according to the address. If it's a main international hub, it's possible that a lot of people from a lot of countries are routing through it and thus suffering from the same problem as London is one of the main European datahubs.

Aye Req mate,

I know where the problem lies, Mistral.net refuse to answer my emails when i contact them directly and my ISP are dragging their heals, but they had their final warning before i breach the contract (contracted till august or so with them).

Just thought i would show that there are some spikes on your network, I seen similar today as well, but really wasnt all that bad as some people made out on here, but it could be that the route changed by time i got home or it not your network they got issues with

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Tilda said:

Not a personal attack here, but the 'Send in Pingplots' gets pretty boring by now.

There's LITERALLY thousand(s) of people having lagspikes (pretty much all at the same time) playing on the servers. How likely is it that *ALL* those people go through a system/server/router/switch/whatever in the middle of Timbuktu.

If I make Pingplots, its a bi-directional thing, right? What if GOA starts pingplotting 'the world' from their servers? Randomly select 100 IP's connected to the gameservers, and start pingplotting. With the lagcomplaints, I would think u would catch atleast from those 100, 80 who have lagspikes. Put em next to eachother and you know the 'thing' which causes the troubles.

I cant imagine they need 'hundreds' of pingplots tho. It might even work if they randomly ping some 'big' things all across the world. Ping www.google.com, www.altavista.com, www.nu.nl, www.bbc.co.uk, www.derida.de or smth from the GOA-HQ and they might see the problem.

Just my 2 cents

Tilda

Puppet, its not possible as I understand it for goa to just pick someone to ping.
They would then then just be guesing and hoping that someone they pinged would be getting lag.
Its far easier, and more logical for those with lag to send in ping plots.
While everybody is happy to whine and say omg goa sucks etc, sadly, only a very small percentage of those go on to send in ping plots, thus my post.
Personally I played tonight, and had no problems from the US, so <shrug>

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Puppet said:
Not a personal attack here, but the 'Send in Pingplots' gets pretty boring by now.

There's LITERALLY thousand(s) of people having lagspikes (pretty much all at the same time) playing on the servers. How likely is it that *ALL* those people go through a system/server/router/switch/whatever in the middle of Timbuktu.

If I make Pingplots, its a bi-directional thing, right? What if GOA starts pingplotting 'the world' from their servers? Randomly select 100 IP's connected to the gameservers, and start pingplotting. With the lagcomplaints, I would think u would catch atleast from those 100, 80 who have lagspikes. Put em next to eachother and you know the 'thing' which causes the troubles.

I cant imagine they need 'hundreds' of pingplots tho. It might even work if they randomly ping some 'big' things all across the world. Ping www.google.com, www.altavista.com, www.nu.nl, www.bbc.co.uk, www.derida.de or smth from the GOA-HQ and they might see the problem.

Just my 2 cents
1: It's not bi-directional. Your route to our servers will very likely not be the same as our route to you or to anywhere else.
2: It's not likely a router 'in the middle of timbuktu', there are major datacentres which practically all of Europe gets routed through. Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam and London are the main European ones, if there's a problem with a big hub at one of those places then peopel from all over Europe will experience the problem. Believe it or not but of the most recent lag problems, nearly all have been from outside our network and those problems can only be fixed if we can show the company responsible that they are responsible. They don't react to vague guesses, we have to show them evidence that there's a problem on their network first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom