Whats the worst thing that can happen to your guilds name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

old.Spug

Whats the worst thing that could happen to your guild you may ask? after spending years building its reputation through various MMORPG's?

well, a friend jumped onto Excal midgard a short while back, and sent me an email saying theres now a Purple Warriors running there...

Had we been asked if there was a chance they could start a chapter there, then we probably would have said yes, but this is just blatant stealing of reputation.

I have a suggestion for you...

My suggestion is that you come up your own guild name...

Purple Warriors is a guild created in Beta by Landar and Kralina.
Come live they set up the guild on prydwen, where the Purple Warriors continue to fight. The reputation and Ideals for the guild go back 3 years to Ultima Online days. Had someone approached myself or Kralina, and asked if we would mind a branch on excal... but to go around claiming to be the first guild from beta, thats just lame.

you can find the true Purple Warriors forum via Camelot.stratics.com

come over and see the true history, and speak to Hufner. he's the new GM of Purple Warriors... perhaps you can salvaged something

Hi!
When we checked the name 3 months ago, all was well and there was no problem with the name. There was no Guild with this name!! We know very well the history of the name, thats why we chosed the name.

So there is no reason for us to change name or?

I have been GM since day 1 of the guild.

Regards

Geir
Well, you may have been GM on excalibur since day one. but PWG (Purple Warriors) has been running a lot longer. effectively you have stolen the reputation of a guild, and tried to make it your own. Did you not think when you were doing this, that you would perhaps be stepping on some toes? PWG was registered on Prydwen within a few hours of the server coming up. Landar (my alter-ego) was a well known moderator on the GOA forums, before the forums collapsed, and it was also well known that he was second in command of Purple Warriors. All of this information was easy enough to get to, had you tried to check it out.

L

-Lonewolf-

You ever get this feeling people need to get a life and get out more sheesh!

S

S Pombe

Shocking abuse it seems. Should be tarred, feathered and run out of town on a pole ;)

O

old.Spug

No, I don't. Sorry, but PWG has been something I've been involved in running for close to four years now, to find someone who can't even be bothered to build up their own reputation has come in and stolen ours, well, it just pisses me off.

O

old.Atrox

Be proud, that he had to steal your name :)
I dont think any1 that was around during beta will misstake them for the "real" Purple Warriors

F

Flimgoblin

Was it an intentional name theft?

Purple Warriors I guess isn't hugely common...

Oh and if you're landar... can we have a kitty of some sort in your avatar? :)

O

old.Spug

not really used these boards, so not sure if they link piccies or not...

but

bobsimba1.gif

if that works, it works, if not try this

admittedly its not my purple conn one, but these two are my own kitties... (well sorta)

*edit* eek... the transparancy here sucks...*/edit*

L

-Lonewolf-

First post around I was confused but now I am just plain LOST!

K

Kagato.

lol I remember that purple con kitten pic, only just started playing DAoC a few weeks before they shut the official forums down, but I remember it had me laughing my ass off :D

As for the guild, hmmmm starting a guild with the same name as an old 'historic' guild deliberatly because, as it says in the above email quotes, 'their fully aware of the names history' does seem like direct theft of a reputation.

Wouldn't it be nicer to make a name for yourselves?

F

Flimgoblin

Can't have pictures in sigs...
but if you have 20 posts then you can upload a 50x50 image for an avatar
<-----------

K

Khalen

People are free to choose which guild name they wanna make... If they wanted their name not used they should have bought copyright on it...

G

Gahldir

agree with Khalen.

and if you would like the rights to be the only guild named in a surtain way, you might ask 7 other dedicated guildmembers to go claim the name on all the other servers. not to hard, is it:confused:

O

old.Spug

So Khalen, if you found someone had registered your name for their character on a different server, and was going around saying "I'm Kharen from Barry's World" and acting like an ass, you'd be fine with that?

P

Pi0z

Originally posted by Khalen
People are free to choose which guild name they wanna make... If they wanted their name not used they should have bought copyright on it...

That's possibly the stupidest reply I have ever read in my life, BRAVO!

As if copyrighting a name would stop someone using it in an online game. THIS IS THE INTERNET, NO-ONE GIVES A CRAP ABOUT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY HERE! Steal this, smear that, abuse such n such etc.

Yes, people are free to choose whatever guildname they want but it seems that this imposter guild is stealing our thunder by using the PW name - it would have been nice if we had been consulted first, but I guess their GM just couldn't be arsed.

:twak:

- Melodia <Purple Warriors>
Midgard/Prydwen

O

old.Prof

if you found someone had registered your name for their character on a different server, and was going around saying "I'm Kharen from Barry's World" and acting like an ass, you'd be fine with that?

AFAIK, you still haven't delivered any proof that this guild is actually really doing that (bar one vague e-mail from the other guilds GM).

It all seems rather odd as both guilds are fairly small ones and (excuse me to say this) fairly unknown - I can't see what gain the other guild can get from pretending to be yours.

O

old.Spug

Purple Warriors was one of the biggest guilds in beta, its a lot smaller now than it was. I'm not stating that these people are running around acting like idiots, I don't know how they act, because I don't play midgard on Excalibur.

The size of the guild isn't the issue, the issue is that the guild were (i'm informed) advertising themselves as the first guild from open beta. (which PWG was indeed, but these people weren't part of it)

Having spoken with the GM via their boards, and via email, I've been informed he knows of the reputation of PWG, and seeing as there was no PWG on Excalibur he thought he'd take our history, and reputation and use it for himself.

PWG always was a bunch of loonies, more interested in having fun, than cash and XP, and had someone approached us saying "you're a bunch of loonies, I want to create PWG on excal, is this ok?" we woulda said "fine, go for it"

The issue here, is the lameness of the GM in just picking a name of an existing guild, and not bothering to build up a guilds history/reputation himself

O

old.job

I have to agree with Spug, it's a bit lame doing that, but really it's
flattering to his guild
'imitation is the best form of flattery'
It's a pretty obscure name and was obviuosly picked to pinch the history rather than copying a cool name.
I'm sure as people in the 'know' find out, it'll make them look a bit sad.

O

old.Tohtori

Ok, similar thing, my first char ever was Joukahainen, on excalibur Midgard. Now, a few months(3 perhaps) later i didn't have that char 'cause i gimbed it all the way in my "nuubines". Now i wanted, after a looooong while, make a classical "Comeback!" but alas, the name was taken. Now some people might think i'm still running around midgard when i'm not, so what? It's just a name and i doubt very much he is going around saying "Oooh yes, joulupukki is my alt as well"

Same with your guildname, it's a name for a guild. And Purple Warriors? never even heard of them before this thread. So maybe it's because it never was in midgard(if you don't count beta...). Now if they were to go around saying they are the original purple warriors you would have something to whine about, but are they? Is there proof or is this just an honor thing again?

Do i whine? No.

Does it bother me that my name is taken? No.

Is this as big of an issue as a guildname? No, this is bigger.

So try to live with it for heavens sake or try to solve ti with them. Ok, you want to make a guild named "Purple Warriors" on mid? Then go talk it out with the people who made the guild allready. And perhaps, if it's possible in your rage, to think of it as a bloody good compliment! Plagiarism is one of the greatest ways of saying you like someones work..well..unless you make shameless profit out of it but this isn't about plagiarism in books and such.

And to finish this rant, it's just a name. Now be nice :D

(editorial: This is not a flame at you, this is simply some words to perhaps make you see another side of the thing.)

D

deadparrot

intind_tinky.gif

I'm sorry i couldn't stop myself.

I'll go now....

O

old.Tohtori

That sir, is the best argument on this thread :D

V

Vell

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Same with your guildname, it's a name for a guild. And Purple Warriors? never even heard of them before this thread. So maybe it's because it never was in midgard(if you don't count beta...). Now if they were to go around saying they are the original purple warriors you would have something to whine about, but are they? Is there proof or is this just an honor thing again?

The fact is, Purple Warriors have a very good reputation with all who know them. These people are going round excalibur claiming to be the original Purple Warriors from Beta, and that is bad of them. Although I didn't take logs of my conversations with various officers and the GM of the guild, I can guarantee that they are doing it. They are using the reputation of PWG to recruit new members, by saying they were the first ever guild in Open Beta, and by fabricataing stories of what they have done in the past.

I was a member of the real PW, during beta, and at the beginning of release, and left to play on Hibernia with the Artisans of Willow (which, incidentally, I have also now left). When I saw some people running around on Excalibur Mid with the name <Purple Warriors> floating above their head, I was like huh? At that point, I spoke to one of the officers about their guild - why they chose the name PW, and he gave me the whole 'we were the first guild ever' story. I then reported it to the original PWG on their forums (Yes! I am the spy! Oh shame on me!) and used several alt characters to piece together the whole story.

These guys are imposters, and should be exposed as such. That is the point of this thread. We know that we cannot force them to change their guild name, but we can make sure they feel suitably embarrased to have stolen PWG reputation.

O

old.Tohtori

So they are claiming to be the originals, then, with the help of logs, screens, evidence in general this would be bad. But i'm sorry if i don't jump the gun and go gunho(what?) when someone sayes they are doing it. Just the way the world turns, proven until blabla....

....the hell with it, they are scum, granted. Burn em! :p

O

old.Spug

In response to Tohtori:

You put forth a good argument, and one I can understand... My point in posting here, was to try and highlight the fact that PWG on excalibur is not PWG, and try and let any Excal players who were wanted to join the original PWG, that this was not us, and as such are unlikely to have the same goals, sense of humour, and general looniness of us.

I'm a lot calmer now than i was, I still think they have a cheek doing what they've done, but theres nothing we can do about it now, other than let others know.

O

old.Tohtori

Tend to have my "smart" moments. But true, i kinda missed the whole point of the thread, well, sorta but still, atleast now people know. :D

S

S Pombe

Hanging's too good for them! In my beta days, we would have been flogged within an inch of our lives, have salted rubbed into a seeping wounds and then be told to say "Thank You". I was known as Ol' Crusty.

C

Cowled

What about when u hit lvl 40, and u can't c purple anymore?

O

old.Spug

The name Purple Warriors wasn't created because of the purple conn, it was created prior to DAOC, in UO, and was the colour the guild wore constantly.

O

old.Tohtori

Why not wear green and when people ask

"Why are you called Purple WArriors when you wear green?

you could answer

"None of your business!" :p

T

Troryn

I saw one in red last night on mid/excal, ;) no shit

F

fruity_darktyde

It's not on, claiming to be something that you are not may well be a good example of the freedom of the internet, but this isn't pretending to be another person, this is plagiarism. I have been fortunate enough to have been a member of PWG since UO, and whatever game the guild plays, it will always be with the same sense of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom