Whats the difference..

Miramis

Fledgling Freddie
... between a classic shard and a normal shard?

Also, when I read stuff on forum like SI and that kind of abbs.. is there anywhere these are explained to what they mean? Trying to learn as much as I can reading up on forums, but hard when you dont understand the abbrevations used. If anyone could list the most common ones (about the game.. not the lol, rofl's and such.. :p ) I'd be most thankful.

Best regards
/Miramis

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Classic servers don't have any of the content from the Trials of Atlantis expansion on them. Otherwise they are the same. Trials of Atlantis introduced a lot of new areas (same zones for each realm) as well as very powerful items and new abilities you could get through performing special multi-part quests.

Common abbreviations that I can think of off the top of my head:
SI - Shrouded Isles (the first major expansion)
ToA - Trials of Atlantis (the second major expansion)
DR - Darkness Rising (the latest expansion)
NF/OF - New Frontiers/Old Frontiers. The frontier areas were completely redesigned a couple of years ago in the New Frontiers patch.
PvP - Player vs Player (player killing)
PvM/PvE - Player vs Monster/Player vs Environment. Means killing computer controlled mobs.
RvR - Realm vs Realm. The general term for PvP combat in DAoC, mostly used to refer to mass battles such as keep takes and so on.
AoE - Area of Effect. Can be PBAoE (point blank area of effect), CAoE (cone area of effect) or GTAoE (ground targetted area of effect).
CC - Crowd Control. Anything that prevents monsters or players from moving or reacting such as mezzes, snares, roots, stuns etc.
GG - Guild Group. An RvR group which is made up of members of the same guild, usually they have a fixed setup with regular members who have the advantage of knowing each others playstyles well which can give them an advantage over less organised groups.

Most of the other abbreviations are classes (e.g. BD is Bonedancer, NS is Nightshade etc) or the names of specific abilities (e.g. MoC is Master of Concentration, SOS is Speed of Sound etc). You can find a list of all the realm abilities and spells at the Camelot Herald as it would take ages to list them all and would just confuse you probably.

Miramis

Fledgling Freddie
That is a lot of information and it helped me just fine :D Thank you so much, now it will be a bit easier to read up on the forums!

Miramis

Fledgling Freddie
Another question.. If I log onto another server than my usual one, say Exaclibur instead of Prydwen, is there any way to play another realm or do I need yet another account for that?

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
Miramis said:
Another question.. If I log onto another server than my usual one, say Exaclibur instead of Prydwen, is there any way to play another realm or do I need yet another account for that?
u cant choose another realm, before u could because the servers weren't clustered but after they were clustered u could only have the same realm on teh other server. so u will need another account for that or if u want to try another realm go play on a server that isnt clustered with prydwen/excalibur

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
you need a new account, we used to be able to play two realms until they clustered the servers, now if you want to play another realm you have to either learn french/german or buy another copy of the game.

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
Raven said:
you need a new account, we used to be able to play two realms until they clustered the servers, now if you want to play another realm you have to either learn french/german or buy another copy of the game.
or go on glastonbury but u need to learn a bit french then also >< and its a classic server

Miramis

Fledgling Freddie
Thank you all, was afraid of that :( Heard some rumours about beeing able to split one account but cant seem to find any info about that. Something you people know anything more about?

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Miramis said:
Thank you all, was afraid of that :( Heard some rumours about beeing able to split one account but cant seem to find any info about that. Something you people know anything more about?

Only on US servers, can't be done on EU servers.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Miramis said:
You'd still need two accounts even if it was offered here as it works by taking characters off one account and transferring them to a brand new one. However you look at it, you either need more than one account or you need to play a different ruleset/language to be on more than one realm.

Miramis

Fledgling Freddie
Got ya all.. started up a new trial account to at least be able to have a look at the other realms. A bit easier to decide where to stay for good if your able to have a look at all the places =) Been looking around on Mid for a bit, and will soon take on Alb as well. You are beeing very helpful here, and found lots of nice ppl in game as well. Nice community, appreciate that as a nOOb ;) Time to head for work, then mooooore Daoc as I return home later tonight :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom