What's a safe temperature..

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
..for a P4 3.8ghz cpu (not overclocked at all) under sustained maximum load? My Abit Guru app has 'beep temp' set to 75C or 80C and shut down temp at 90C but some of the temperatures creep up to 80-81C. They never go above 81, so I've put the beep temp up to 82C on the ones that set the 'beep' off (it's not a beep, it's a siren and it's really annoying)... is that ok?

Long-term is it ok to just leave it alone or do I need to cool it down?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
AMD say 75 deg. C or above for prolonged periods will damage the CPU, if that helps.

Did you build it yourself? Stock cooled?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Self-built and stock-cooled. It's on an Abit AA8XE (the fatal1ty one).

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Prescott is a hot fucker, anything regulary over 75c could become a problem though so you should really be looking at better cooling than stock. A decent heatpipe cooler will drop your temps a good 20c under load.

Clown

Part of the furniture
AMD say 75 deg. C or above for prolonged periods will damage the CPU, if that helps.

Did you build it yourself? Stock cooled?
Would you trust AMD about specifications for a Pentium 4 chip though?

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Would you trust AMD about specifications for a Pentium 4 chip though?

Intel have been known to use the same architecture (exactly the same) as AMD chips. So I wouldn't put it past AMD to know what they're on about.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you may have a bubble in your thermal paste. you could take the heatsink off, remove then reapply the paste.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I went watercooled ;)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
OK, so is there a 'best' third party heatsink/fan for this setup? I've never really paid much attention to cooling before because it's never been an issue.

The mobo has 6 temp sensors on it - CPU, SYS and PWM1-4. CPU peaks at 80-81C and SYS stays pretty constant at 41C (it actually rigidly stays on 41 regardless of system load, y'think it's broke?). Of the PWMs, only 2 and 4 get anywhere close to 80C. CPU is first to 80C, then PWM4, then PWM2. For the life of me I can't find the locations of the PWM sensors in the mobo's manual - it mentions 'ABIT PWM cooling technology' in the features list but that's it.

Because it's more than just the CPU getting toasty warm I need to address overall system cooling as well, yes? Not knowing where the PWM sensors are isn't helping. :(

I would do that Jup but with my luck I'd inevitably end up with a very wet PC. :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
Scythe Ninja or Thermoright or Arctic Cooler.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Get a Thermalright, can't go wrong but they ain't cheap. I use the XP 120 myself and it is off this planet, they have an even better versions out now as well called the XP 120 ultra and XP 120 Extreme. Both are amongst the very very best you can buy.

Components » Cooling - Overclockers UK

Reviews here...

AnandTech: Thermalright Ultra 120: Elegant, Fanless and Efficient Cooling

AnandTech: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme: Is More Better?

AnandTech: UPDATE: Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - Retail

...or for other top cooling reviews...

AnandTech: Cases & Cooling Section

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom