What would happen if all realms had the same classes?

Belomar

Part of the furniture
I know what most of you will answer to this question: booooring. And I can agree. Still, bear in mind that we do already accept a degree of similarity between the realms in the fact that we share (most) RAs and master abilities, and this works just fine, so this is at least worth consideration.

On the flip side, if all realms had the same classes, the game would be balanced by default. No one would be able to whine about FotM setups not possible in their own realm, abilities (like AoE stun) not available to their classes, or blame their own ineptitude on underpowered characters (or claim skill thanks to overpowered chars!). Mythic wouldn't have to play the nigh-impossible game of balancing the four (or 39, in this case!) legs of a table by cutting off (or adding) bits to each of them in turn in the hope that the end result will be fine. The number of classes would be drastically reduced, meaning that the developers would have more opportunity to address bugs and deficiencies in each of the classes.

So, what do you think: CS with swords and sorcery, or the way forward (not that it will ever happen)? :)

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm... Well the fact would just be that it would be bloody boring :p

and people would still whine, they allways have, allways will :mad:

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
DAOC would be GuildWars, and imo its gonna be a good game.

Morning Belo :D

Big Ugly

Fledgling Freddie
okay...which realm are we gonna pick to play? and which 2 to delete, in terms of classes?

mid is sooooo overpowered it must be the midclassses, right? can't be albion, might be hib

/ponder

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
imho it would have been great.. for several reason's..

1. realm pop .... easyer to balance the different realm pops...

2. when i startet to play daoc i did it for the midival age figthing .. the different class's from different realms was a minor issue..

3. balancing would be so much easiere for mythic .. if every1 run with same setup they hopefully would know they fecked up....

and about what class's to pick ... give the option to use em all . . .cant hurt ... allthough some class's wouldnt be played at all . . . . like the wizard.. or cleric ..

Filip

Jox

Fledgling Freddie
Different races? yes(so easy to balance), different classes? nope, with 39 classes its nearly impossible to cover all angels, you need like 5 people working all day long doing nothing but balancing.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
there'd be one or two fotm group setups and about 34 classes going unwanted ;)

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
well it would be balanced then atleast but far too boring.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I think it would just be boring. Ofc there would be no more unbalanced situations, but tbh, I like the idea of the 3 realms too much =))

nol

Fledgling Freddie
You added, you zerged, you added, you zerged.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
It looks as if Mythic has given up on trying to balance the realm while giving them different abilities.
As you said, we now have access to the same MLs, soon the same RAs and the same silly ToA items.
Some of these abilities are almost more important then the class that has them.
Doesn't really matter if you're a hero, warrior or what not as long as you can grapple or bodyguard :p
Doesn't even matter what realm you're from, you will lose if you don't have any of these new abilities/items.

Giving all realms different MLs and items would make everything even more unbalanced though, so let us at least have different classes=)

I can't wait to see what kind of overpowered classes Mythic comes up with in Catacombs...

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
albs would miraculously become 'skillful' ... :worthy:

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
there'd be one or two fotm group setups and about 34 classes going unwanted ;)
That wouldn't have to be the case if they actually balanced things so that you could have several set ups, high def, high offence, caster, tank, mixed, etc...

I don't like that they have "balanced" RAs and TOA but not balanced the fucking classes. It looks like with the new RAs Mythic are going for casual players enmass tbh.

One down side of all this being exactly the same is that you can't go to another realm and try new things.

And btw I don't think that they did this out of any move for fairness but simple economics of producing TOA for 3 different realms would have been alot more expensive if they hadn't cheaped out and given us all the same things.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Javai said:
So kinda like it is now :p

it's probably only about 20 classes unwanted atm ;) but who'd want a cleric when you can have a healer? :)

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
it's probably only about 20 classes unwanted atm ;) but who'd want a cleric when you can have a healer? :)
Not sure if enhan cleric won't be popular soon. I think they get better range than druid/shammie. Not sure if I had the pick of all if I would choose druid cleric or shammie as debuffer... probably shammie and drop paladin.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
[SS]Gamblor said:
BoF is handy so maybe1 healer , 1 clerc 1 dr00d ?

bof is nerfed and available to all in a patch or two, group purge is gone (finally!) and sos is available to all three realms...

so what would your fotm setup be? I imagine looking at mordred/camlann post-NF would give some clues...

thinking
healer
healer
bard
warrior
savage
savage
savage
savage

for the tank train ;) but I'm hardly an expert in making a gank group. And you'd probably want a caster group anyway for all the keep stuff in new frontiers...

or would you be better with mincer+paladin instead of bard+savage? or skald+paladin? or maybe shaman for end since you get a secondary healer and a buff shearer for that...

lots of SMs? :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Asha said:
Not sure if enhan cleric won't be popular soon. I think they get better range than druid/shammie. Not sure if I had the pick of all if I would choose druid cleric or shammie as debuffer... probably shammie and drop paladin.

if you could get a healer instead of a sorc the cleric might be good as a buff-shearer - the main problems apparently on the US servers are that the clerics and druids don't have time to shear as they're too busy healing, a shaman with 2-3 healers in support won't have that problem.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
bof is nerfed and available to all in a patch or two, group purge is gone (finally!) and sos is available to all three realms...

so what would your fotm setup be? I imagine looking at mordred/camlann post-NF would give some clues...

thinking
healer
healer
bard
warrior
savage
savage
savage
savage

for the tank train ;) but I'm hardly an expert in making a gank group. And you'd probably want a caster group anyway for all the keep stuff in new frontiers...

or would you be better with mincer+paladin instead of bard+savage? or skald+paladin? or maybe shaman for end since you get a secondary healer and a buff shearer for that...

lots of SMs? :)
you would get buff stripped and owned.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Asha said:
you would get buff stripped and owned.

I guess having every class available to all 3 realms would make buff shearing a lot more common outside of midgard....

(though it may just be the yanks not making decent groups that's responsible for noone other than the mids running with any buff shearers)

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
if you could get a healer instead of a sorc the cleric might be good as a buff-shearer - the main problems apparently on the US servers are that the clerics and druids don't have time to shear as they're too busy healing, a shaman with 2-3 healers in support won't have that problem.
In an Alb group that might be the case, but we weren't talking about an Alb group but a mixed-realm group.
Ya'll better hope GOA takes their sweet time with 1.69 - it isn't going to be pretty :)

Flim I don't know what the Americans are doing but they usually sound like their groups are alot more random. I don't see how you can survive a fight unbuffed vs. buffed savages or sms....... I would think a buffer/debuffer is a must.

And how can you say you don't have enough time to do it? AOE debuffing a group is going to save 10x the time in healing. Yes?

Gorrion

Fledgling Freddie
QUOTE=Zoia:It looks as if Mythic has given up on trying to balance the realm while giving them different abilities.
As you said, we now have access to the same MLs, soon the same RAs and the same silly ToA items.
Some of these abilities are almost more important then the class that has them.
Doesn't really matter if you're a hero, warrior or what not as long as you can grapple or bodyguard
Doesn't even matter what realm you're from, you will lose if you don't have any of these new abilities/items.

Could not have said it better myself, plz pull the plug on TOA, and let "what once was a great game", become one again.
(i wont even want my money back from buying the TOA expansion, just remove it from DAOC, so the game can be played again.)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Asha said:
And how can you say you don't have enough time to do it? AOE debuffing a group is going to save 10x the time in healing. Yes?

not got them yet, I'm just relaying waffle from VN :)

If ye've got aoe debuffs (radius 150 btw - if you have 3 savages all together you might catch them all and knock 1/2 the damage off) your heals are gonna be worse - can't get 30 spreadheal along with the top str/con debuff I believe? (might be wrong on that one - you can't get all the shears without it anyway, and the focus shield is at 48e so no spreads if you have it)

Personally I compare shears to debuffs - debuffs used to be casted and just about noone used them.

Now they're instant they get used just about every fight by the people that have them.

Why would shears be that much different?

Now I'm sure they'll get tested properly when they hit europe and we might well see alb/hib groups running a buff shearer, but I'm not convinced it'll have as big an effect (at least for the alb/hib side) as people expect.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:

because shears also do dmg i think, and they're much more effective than regular debuffs

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
no

Now I'm sure they'll get tested properly when they hit europe and we might well see alb/hib groups running a buff shearer, but I'm not convinced it'll have as big an effect (at least for the alb/hib side) as people expect.
Did you ever duel as a tank unbuffed vs. full buffed?
Even if you don't rebuff, shearing buffs will be very important.

Flim debuffs are temp. - for what seconds now?
Buff shear is Perm!
Also it's ALOT bigger effect than debuff. It doesn't debuff you for one dmg type but essentially it makes you weaker, both offence and defense. The more puffed up you are with buffs, the more hps you're going to drop, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom