What Will Cloning Fix?

dee777

Loyal Freddie
karak-hirn feels pretty empty even when the queue is over 500.

it doesnt matter which t2 zone im in i hardly ever see that many people and nearly all the pq's have noone there so i would love to know where everyone is.

they arent in the t3 zones either ive looked and whenever theres any open rvr going on theres only ever 30-40 people if that counting both sides.

Maybe you look in the wrong direction. Orrud has hardly any queues and since I am playing 4 toons at the same time, I still play a lot of tier1 content. Its very crowded there, be it PQs, scenarios or RvR lakes. By crowded, I mean 25+ people doing a PQ, BTW.

Or maybe you are looking in a low populated pairing? On orrud it seems empire vs. chaos is the most active, while high elf vs. dark elf is rather empty.

Poag

m00?
Not for me i have np with Eve and big battles.

Then your not taking part in the big battles :)

A big battle is with 400+ people on a single grid, at which point, and CCP admits it, the node crumbles and everything crawls along in appearing on the grid, due to the nodes not being able to keep up with all the people.

rynnor

Rockhound
how do you know there's 1000's have you seen numbers official or otherwise ??massive as in there's lots of big open empty spaces??i've not seen 100's batteling anywhere a slight misscount or exageration i think ;)

You should have gone to Mandreds Hold last night - you wouldnt be arguing about an empty server if you had lol :p

rynnor

Rockhound
From what I understand the server cap is not increased to it's max capacity yet; so why move on with "plan B" which is cloning?

The servers are at the maximum cap already as Magnus stated thats why they are looking at cloning.

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
You should have gone to Mandreds Hold last night - you wouldnt be arguing about an empty server if you had lol :p

Do you have a problem with me or somthing??Where have i said the servers are empty?i have been complaining about queing asking about a raise in the cap.just because one area/zone is busy doesn't make the server full or mean that all the other zones are just as busy,i stronly suggest you take off your blinkers and look at things as a whole.I'm still waiting to hear where you got you figuers from ..you said there are 1000's on the servers(how do you know that?) lets see some screen shots of 100's of people fighting,30-40 on each side can "feel" like 100's.All you are doing is trying to contradict everything i say yet i see nothing to back up your statements.

poag...point taken your are correct i have not taken part in battles of that size in EvE i stand corrected.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Do you have a problem with me or somthing??Where have i said the servers are empty?i have been complaining about queing asking about a raise in the cap.just because one area/zone is busy doesn't make the server full or mean that all the other zones are just as busy,i stronly suggest you take off your blinkers and look at things as a whole.I'm still waiting to hear where you got you figuers from ..you said there are 1000's on the servers(how do you know that?) lets see some screen shots of 100's of people fighting,30-40 on each side can "feel" like 100's.All you are doing is trying to contradict everything i say yet i see nothing to back up your statements.

he said above there was a fight with 100+ on each side at Mandred's hold, and then said "you should have been there last night" when you said you'd never seen any fights like that - calm down.

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
And this game is brand new so I would hate to see the pop in a years time, it certainly would kill most of the elf career.

And lol if the caps 3k then that's pathetic for a late 2008 game, who did the server side programming? EA's Pro Street Team? Mythic knew of this issue well over a year ago. The cap should be more like 15-20k, due to 3 pairings and 4-5 tiers with like 3 PQs each Chapter and there are 3 like 23 Chapters a side.

So if the servers dying on 3k what’s it going to be like when the majority hit 40 and the “ques get fixed”?

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
he said above there was a fight with 100+ on each side at Mandred's hold, and then said "you should have been there last night" when you said you'd never seen any fights like that - calm down.

calm down?? ya quick off the mark this mornin Flim..i simply asked for some SS of 100's fighting and asked where he got the info that there are 1000's on the server hardly a rant eh..:D

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Flim can't there be a emo test on these forums so they can't get in and cry like babies and wonder why everyone hate them each time someone answer one of there posts?

rynnor

Rockhound
calm down?? ya quick off the mark this mornin Flim..i simply asked for some SS of 100's fighting and asked where he got the info that there are 1000's on the server hardly a rant eh..:D

It comes accross as a rant tho - I have no problem discussing things but if your going to take things personally if I disagree with you then thats not going to make for a great discussion.

I will get some screenshots next time tho I did hope if you were around you might have come and seen plus it was great fun :)

GOA will not release figures - no modern MMO does except Eve so to an extent neither of us can prove his point :)

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
It comes accross as a rant tho - I have no problem discussing things but if your going to take things personally if I disagree with you then thats not going to make for a great discussion.

I will get some screenshots next time tho I did hope if you were around you might have come and seen plus it was great fun :)

GOA will not release figures - no modern MMO does except Eve so to an extent neither of us can prove his point :)
I remember Blizzard non stop gloating about figures? And I've played the game for a total of 5 mins since it was in beta?

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Correct me if i'm wrong but this game has only been retail for what 4 days? Why are you all moaning that Tier 2 zones are empty? I know most of the people I know are barely into their teens and they have spend a good deal of the weekend online.

The newbie areas are near to breaking point, not everyone spends 10 hours a day leveling. I was in the Elf starting place on Eltharion yesterday at peak time and there must have been about 100 people.

People will catch up eventually and I imagine they will increase the caps to compensate. But if they increased the cap now the starter areas would be flooded and the lag would be horrendous. Which is absolutely not the thing you want to do to new players.

PS: To the EVE people, I have been in 150v150 fights that have ended in massive desyncs/lag/crashes/disconnects. If the node isn't reinforced first then it can go wrong very quickly, the load balancer takes at least 24 hours to kick in so large impromptu fights are almost impossible.

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
Well ya have obviously never seen me rant:D(have a looksee at some of my DAoC posts)
I don't have a problem with a good disscussion but your just contradicting me and plucking figuers out of thin air when you say things like there are 1000's on the server i don't base a good disscussion on speculation:p
Do you in all honesty think that there are 1000's on the servers?If as you say the servers are at their cap it doesn't bode well for the future of the game.So as no new players can join these "capped" servers whats going to happen once everyone reaches max lvl?are all the zones/area's from ch1 going to be empty because there is no one to use them?From what i have seen and where i have been most areas are far from overcrowded and lots of areas downright deserted which to me do not indicate a full server.
I will personally be happy to try a cloned server if it means not having to Q for an hour.I would be happy to Q for an hour if then after a CTD or somthing i didn't then have to Q again for another hour or more,surely a 5min window to reconnect is not to difficult to impliment.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!

Generally if you're asking if someone has a problem with you it implies you're upset :) think it's the multiple question marks - gives that impression. Text is a funny thing...

Glad you're not about to burst any blood vessels though :)

dee777

Loyal Freddie
PS: To the EVE people, I have been in 150v150 fights that have ended in massive desyncs/lag/crashes/disconnects. If the node isn't reinforced first then it can go wrong very quickly, the load balancer takes at least 24 hours to kick in so large impromptu fights are almost impossible.

Sorry for the derail, but has a reinforced node ever helped you at all? I know of three battles I was in that were announced to CCP three days in advance, so they should ve been able to take counter measures for the system in question. However on neither of these three occasions (that I know of, dunno how many else there were) was outcome any different from "normal" lagfests.

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
Bah.. yea ofc Flim the ?? does make it look that way is not meant in that way...see been years away from forums and forgotten how things can look when in text i'll try to engage brain before typing in future:)

It could also be due to my Posh updragging and constantly hearing people say..... What,What....;)

rynnor

Rockhound
Do you in all honesty think that there are 1000's on the servers?If as you say the servers are at their cap it doesn't bode well for the future of the game.So as no new players can join these "capped" servers whats going to happen once everyone reaches max lvl?are all the zones/area's from ch1 going to be empty because there is no one to use them?From what i have seen and where i have been most areas are far from overcrowded and lots of areas downright deserted which to me do not indicate a full server.

I think there must be - heres my reasoning. When the early start began it was said to start on 25% capacity which at the time was 500 per side which indicates a full server capacity of 2000 per side - 4k total.

New players can still join capped servers thats been pretty much the problem as people who joined at release met up with their old mates from daoc.

Will the early zones be empty - sure pretty much as they were in daoc with just alts going through or the odd new player.

On 8peaks/destruction the population is spread over all 4 tiers - the bulge in population seems to have just hit tier 3 so tier 2 is beginning to quieten down a little hence in last nights keep fight there were more order than destruction present as orders main population still seems to be on tier 2.

Does it feel like 2000? Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt?

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
yup all good and fair points..tho they did say that the servers would cope with 3k+ per side when the time came,i do think that time has come:)I must admit that even at lvl50 rr10 i still often went back to the starter areas to have a looksee and was often surprised at the amount of new players not just alts,tho sadly nothing lasts forever.I've not at anytime felt that there is a large amount of people playing only while queing:)As i say i'd be happy to Q to get into the game but only if they sorted somthing out for those who discon.CTD etc. for me it would stop any moaning.

Now i'm gonna go log in before the Q's start:)

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry for the derail, but has a reinforced node ever helped you at all? I know of three battles I was in that were announced to CCP three days in advance, so they should ve been able to take counter measures for the system in question. However on neither of these three occasions (that I know of, dunno how many else there were) was outcome any different from "normal" lagfests.

Its an automated system, the servers will automatically assign more resources to areas that are under heavy load at the next downtime. If you siege a station system or something one day with a lot of people, then generally the next few days the system will cope better with more people as you come in to finish off POS's or whatever.

Sometimes its tough to see but it does help over time.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
karak-hirn feels pretty empty even when the queue is over 500.

it doesnt matter which t2 zone im in i hardly ever see that many people and nearly all the pq's have noone there so i would love to know where everyone is.

they arent in the t3 zones either ive looked and whenever theres any open rvr going on theres only ever 30-40 people if that counting both sides.

compared to say wow the server seems very empty.

on release day and and the headstarts when the cap was aparently lower the server seemed to have much more people on even in the t2 zones.

created a clone of the server isnt going to do anything imo if the real one feels empty the clone will just feel like your playing a single player game.

btw the us cloning didnt work noone uses them

playnig when everyone else is asleep?

There is far more than 30-40 players counting both sides fighting in the T2 zones for the passed few nights.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
playnig when everyone else is asleep?

There is far more than 30-40 players counting both sides fighting in the T2 zones for the passed few nights. __________________
how can everyone be asleep if theres a 500 long queue :lol:

and so far i havent seen more than 30-40 people when we have been taking keeps.
anyway even if there is a 100 people taking a keep the server still feels empty, wow didnt have that large server cap , neither did eq2 or ffxi that didnt stop the servers seeming quite busy.

i often alternate between the different factions zones and theres never that many people around any of the pq's or quest hubs.

i just find it bizare that the server is aparently at capacity but there doesnt seem to be an awful lot of players anywhere.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I was at Mandreds hold last night and while it was impressive, I don't think it was hundreds.

Destro was just over 1 warband (6x4) and Order only slightly outnumbered us

Looking back through my screen shots most Order I can see is around 30, obviously I dont know if there were 70 more hiding inside...but I honestly doubt there are 3-6k people on this server.

In the past 2 nights at around prime time I have been through tiers 1, 2 and 3 on all 3 pairings, the busiest areas seem to be the PQs in tier1 and early tier 2. After that it is pretty much empty, I'm not surprised they won't display official figures, wow didn't and it only leads to complaints from the community when they see low populations.

The whole point of instanced pvp from the developers side is you never need to know there is anything more than 24 people on your server!

Is no one else noticing in scenarios they are in the same groups near enough, fighting mostly the same people? So with the 'hundreds' at mandred hold, the other 3900 can't be hiding in the scenarios :)

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
considering there is like over 400 pq`s in total (taken from the warhammer manual p48), i asume that most pq`s will look empty even with 4000 people on the server.

also considering there are as much scenarios as zones,...

also considering the total rvr area is MUCH bigger than in daoc,...

i find it normal that a VERY large amount of areas will look deserted.

consider just how much of the area in DAOC is actually used, i am sure i could walk around for days in campcorentin forest and get the idea i am playing a single player game.

if i look at lyonesse in daoc, there might be 20 people there 1 year ago, but they will all be at the trees / gobos, on just 5% of the zone map.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
considering there is like over 400 pq`s in total

Not in tiers1/2/3 there aint.. There has been roughly 3 per chapter so far, of the 36~ or so i've passed in Destro, only the first 9-12 have had many people at them, the majorty after chapter 6 have no one there. The ones that do have people are usually 2-3 guild mates trying to cap out on influence. You can do a /who zone in game, on sunday night only a few tier 2 zones had more than 30 people in it (30 is the limit it will display). Try it yourself when you log in at prime time next...

I'm not saying the game IS empty, im simply saying it feels a bit quiet, I would expect this atmosphere if the pve was all instanced, but it's not. I feel sorry for the folk running around with no guild actually. People don't seem to talk outside of /g, it'd be like playing a revolutionary new solo mmo!

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
we should try and get everyone in the same zone at peak time and see how many are really on :flame:

Poag

m00?
I'm not saying the game IS empty, im simply saying it feels a bit quiet, I would expect this atmosphere if the pve was all instanced, but it's not. I feel sorry for the folk running around with no guild actually. People don't seem to talk outside of /g, it'd be like playing a revolutionary new solo mmo!

It is, i was solo from 1-26 pretty much. Only got chat in /t with a couple of friends rest was skype with another warer and vent with my tf2 clan.

Noone actually talks in /p or /wb much
Once you get to know people tho they talk in /t a bit :)

Oh oh so lonely :( peeps on K8P gibe wub

WaveZtream

Fledgling Freddie
So if you decide to stay on your server you will have to live with the queues and blaming Goa that they don't do anything about it won't be valid anymore.

Seriously man cloning a server is just a really bad excuse for not going further with the problem. And there isn't any excuses really.

Letting a user choose from a server with a few users or crowded one, which one would you choose if you are all for PVP/RVR the one with the most users on ofcourse.

Telling users to pay a subscription that will lead to 50% queues wont happen.

And If I am not mistaken I heard from GOA that they could support up to 3500 user/per side that is in total 7000 user per server.

No one can tell me their isn't a way around all of this. And you don't need to be rocket scientist to know that we are in the future not 10 years back.

I mean look back on DAOC, AO, Everquest, Lineage(and so on). And there isn't any problem with users and most of this games only have 1-3 servers in total to choose from. Even private MMO servers have higher amount of users so how come a professional company can't do it eh? I rest my case :)

Narzeja

Loyal Freddie
Seriously man cloning a server is just a really bad excuse for not going further with the problem. And there isn't any excuses really.

Letting a user choose from a server with a few users or crowded one, which one would you choose if you are all for PVP/RVR the one with the most users on ofcourse.

Telling users to pay a subscription that will lead to 50% queues wont happen.

And If I am not mistaken I heard from GOA that they could support up to 3500 user/per side that is in total 7000 user per server.

No one can tell me their isn't a way around all of this. And you don't need to be rocket scientist to know that we are in the future not 10 years back.

I mean look back on DAOC, AO, Everquest, Lineage(and so on). And there isn't any problem with users and most of this games only have 1-3 servers in total to choose from. Even private MMO servers have higher amount of users so how come a professional company can't do it eh? I rest my case :)

If it was as simple as raising the cap on the servers, do you not think GoA/Mythic would have done so instead of equipping and setting up brand new servers? They have access to server status and server logs. You don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom