What Two Switches? Network Design Help :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So. Need some help with two things. Switch choice and network design.

First up - switch choice.

Either this Netgear 8 x 1Gb switch + 2x 10Gb port jobby:

or this, 5 x 2.5Gb + 2x 10Gb port QNAP:

...or something else?

Next up: Does this work?
1701822710049.png

Basically:
  • Switches are a 10Gb backbone. They connect 'Router + Barn' to 'House'.
  • House has more wires - to TV/PC and to Wifi points - which will also talk to wifi mesh points
  • Second wire to 'Outbuilding' to another Wifi point - which can also talk to either another mesh point in 'cabin' (or simply serve the cabin without another mesh point)

So yeah. Does this work?
If not, how do I fix it?
If it does - would you do something differently/potentially better?

Edit: Squiggly green lines denote where the mesh would potentially be. (In the house really). No squiggles, no mesh.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I will have a proper look tomorrow as getting ready to watch the footie.

My network is Ubiquiti and I have a 10gb backbone and a mix of 2.5gb and 1gb port switches and 2 of their dual band access points with around 10 WLANs on it, I run a heavily segmented network at home with my firewall as the default route for most things to enforce security.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have an older, unmanaged, version of your top switch and I gotta say it does what it says on the tin. Bit noisy though. Re networking, my homies at work all swear by Ubiquity. I reckon you should listen to Deebs if he remembers to reply :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Checkout hasivo on aliexpress, they do some a bunch of 2.5gb and 10gb switches with/without poe that undercut all the normal brands.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thanks @TdC & @ECA - (the hasivo switches are interesting) - but I've bought 2x the netgears now. Not had time to set 'em up yet - might have a go this week :)

I think this netgear is supposed to be fanless, so should be quiet.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
mines got two of them little ....30mm? fans in it. I can deffo hear it in the office.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
mines got two of them little ....30mm? fans in it. I can deffo hear it in the office.
They must have updated the design - datasheet says fanless. It was one of the considerations, don't want noisy :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What've you done that little dashboard in @Deebs?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Correct, its the Unifi management app where you configure eveything, it also backs up everything, produces reports etc.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
eg, I clicked on the Lounge Rack switch and I then get an additional popup which I can then click on ports and other stuff to configure the switch.

1702934869490.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom