What OS Are You Using?

J

JeZa

I currently run two machines - My linux server box, and my windows desktop.
I try to keep an open mind towards both of them, and so far i have done that. I have found that linux is great at hosting game servers, but not so good at playing them. Although these days for most big games you will find within a few months, there will be a linux patch/port of the game...NWN was a great example of this.
However, Linux does have its downsides the same as windows does. In cases i have found linux less relyable the windows. Also my linux box does not even have X (Desktop enviroment) installed on it, so no-one could ever accuse me of using it as a replacement of windows.
My point, even though i did it very long winded, is Windows and Linux are good, but for different things. :)

S

Sibanac

linux/xp on game-work pc and on laptop
HP-UX on old appolo desktop
openbsd on FW

A

abovethesystem

Windows Xp Pro on mine, does the job nicely :)

S

Stazbumpa

I'm currently on 2k Pro. I'm about to get a shiny new PC though (an XP 3000 methinks) and I don't know whether to switch to Win XP or stay with 2k Pro.

Ideas/suggestions?

T

Testin da Cable

*feel Staz up*

2gh3y > expee

imo naturally :)

S

Stazbumpa

*rubs TdC*

Thankyou please.

Anyone else care to canvass their opinion?

N

nylex23

Red Hat 8.0 and Windows 2000.

Oh and Staz, your sig is missing an 'r'.

M

MYstIC G

If you've not had any problems with 2k, I'd go with XP. Fuck all real differences, slightly faster bootup, tarted up in places, the only real "seller" is that MS will obviously do everything in the universe based on a "XP is the center" methodology.

V

vofflujarnid

I have Windows 95, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows Xp Professional, and Windows 2003 on warez CDs. No way i'm buying these expensive operation systems :)

T

The-Don

Originally posted by vofflujarnid
I have Windows 95, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows Xp Professional, and Windows 2003 on warez CDs. No way i'm buying these expensive operation systems :)

*waits for the flaming to commence*

W

Will

Would that not be a bit hypocritical for a large number of us?

FreeBSD if you can't pay.;)

T

The-Don

Originally posted by Will
Would that not be a bit hypocritical for a large number of us?

FreeBSD if you can't pay.;)

I suppose it would be hypocritical in a sense, but i don't see the need to brag about warezing MS's bug-ridden software :)

S

SoWat

Using a newly installed RH 9 here.

Installation was a breeze, and it detected all my hardware... so no problems there.

I'm not sure I'd use it as my main OS, simply because I'm so used to doing things the Windows way (whether that way is good or bad is irrelevent... it's what I'm used to).

RH9 is certainly friendly to Linux noobs, and I'd guess that's pretty much all one can ask for. Unfortunately I'm so dependant on software for Windows that I doubt I'll dig any deeper with RH (or Linux generally).

C

Ch3tan

Just moved from Win2k to XP Pro. I am very happy, its suprising to see an MS OS that seems to actually work, and actually boots under 10 seconds. 2k was good but there is just something about XP that makes me wat to use it over 2k.

Users who are viewing this thread