What OS Are You Using?

E

Embattle

This is a poll conducted by Embattle Systems for TDC research ;)

T

Testin da Cable

Thanks Embattle...your fee's in the mail :)

as for myself I use FreeBSD4.7 on my primary workstation, with WinXP on an extra drive so I can play Morrowind.

J

Jonty

I have three legal copies of Windows XP, scary :p

And where's my fee? :D

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

I have an icky javascript problem for you to solve...will that do?

;):D;)

J

Jonty

How could I resist a guy with a CareBear avatar? hehe, go for it :D (Either here, on the WebDev forum, via email or PM - your call :))

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

thank you, I'll post in webdev :)
it's prolly something silly I've missed tbh :eek:

K

kameleon

Win XP PRO, Win98SE, Win95b and windows 3.11

W

Will

I have Windows for my desktop, and FreeBSD for my server...which one counts?

J

Jonty

Hmm, the only open source OS I've ever used is on my mobile. lol :D Symbian rocks :clap:

Kind Regards

W

Wilier

XP Pro SP1 for me, and Win 98 for my daughter (fecking Thomas the Tank Engine wont run under XP :eek: )

X

xane

Actually I have:

Windows XP Pro on my main desktop
FreeBSD 4.7 on my server
Windows 98SE on my kids desktop
Red Hat Linux 7.2 on my router/firewall (ipcop)

I go with XP as TBH it is the one I use the most.

P

PR.

XP.

But theres an old machine at work that I've been offered that I would like to setup linux in some kind of firewall IRC bouncer like affair..

X

Xtro

recently upgraded to XP after using win2k for ages, seems ok so far.

N

nick·

I'm a firm believer in the right tool for the right job, so...

Windows XP for workstation usage, but occasionally SGI/IRIX also.

OpenBSD for routing and firewalling tasks (gotta love pf).

FreeBSD for pretty much everything else.

I still look after a fair amount of Solaris boxen too (2.6 through 9), but haven't found a need to recommend / deploy it from fresh in quite some time. My own personal Ultra5 runs FreeBSD -CURRENT now, as will my Ultra2 as soon as it's SCSI controller receives support driver-wise.

A

Accura

i'm a windows user, i have windows 98 and windows 2000 on my PC but Linux and Unix is the best to be safe

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

Right now i'm using XP Pro, but i also have 98 installed.

Q

Quige

Windows 2000 Server and Workstation at home and work. Even Windows 95 at work (spit, spit, spit!)
Thinking of going to XP at some point ... maybe when I can afford to get a shuttle XPC, I'll put XP on it. Doesn't seem much of reason to change at the moment tho, everything works pretty well under W2K. We're retiring some old Pentium Pro era servers at work, and if I can get my hands on one I'd like to get Linux on it if possible.

S

Sharma

Why i still use windows amazes me, frankly i hate microsoft :(

J

Jonty

Originally posted by sharma
Why i still use windows amazes me, frankly i hate microsoft :(
That's just it, most people dislike Microsoft for some reason or another, yet they are compelled to use their products for convenience's sake. A paradox, methinks :D Personally I think they do well in such a difficult situation, but it's hard to judge when there are no easy comparisons to be made with a company so large. Longhorn looks interesting, though :)

Kind Regards

W

Will

The reason why my desktop still runs windows is simple. All modern games are written with Direct3D, so the Linux/BSD support is non-existant, certainly for the client. If it wasn't for that, I'd have switched a long time ago.

J

Jonty

Good point Will :) That said, most users wouldn't touch Linux in any of its present distributions simply because it's not friendly enough (not sure about Lindows though :confused: ). Not everyone is as hardcore as you ;)

Kind Regards

W

Will

Its not quite there yet. Though I've had the latest version of Mandrake very highly recommended for ease of install.

E

Embattle

RH is fairly good for new users.

Another question must surely be asked.....it wants to be as user friendly as Windows so won't it just become windows and the geeks (Shocko) will go else were and then slag off Linux for being too Windows like.

To vilify a product yet want to copy it, to a limited degree, is surely hypocrisy of the highest order.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Embattle
To vilify a product yet want to copy it, to a limited degree, is surely hypocrisy of the highest order.
I agree! This has long been an observation which has always stood out to me. Many Linux users dislike Windows and/or Microsoft for a multitude of reasons. Maybe they're right, I don't know. But whatever the case, in the next breath they're blatantly adapting their own OS to mimic Windows. The GUI is a perfect example, as many Linux distributions (if not all?) share a lot of fundamental concepts with the Windows interface (i.e. windows, desktops, minimise/maximise/close icons, taskbars, start menus etc).

I'm not saying that Linux has to be different, far from it. Heaven knows Microsoft have copied a lot of good ideas simply because they are just that: good. But when so many Linux fans passionately, even illogically, despise Windows, and yet openly embrace many Windows concepts in their own OS, it can get somewhat laughable at times.

Going off topic, but what is Lindows like? I ask only because it is now preinstalled on many notebooks and desktops by lesser known manufacturers, which is quite a feat (or not, considering how much Windows costs). I know it's disliked, to put it mildly, by the 'hardcore' Linux enthusiasts; but beyond that it's somewhat of an enigma to me.

Kind Regards

B

bids

Your point would be valid if peeps were installing Linux as a replacement to Windows on the desktop. However, most people install it to run services and systems that MS products do very poorly/unreliably/at a huge cost. A Linux m/c as a firewall/database server/Web hosting server/game server is far more reliable and secure than a Windoze one in my experience.

E

Embattle

Its still valid Bids, yes I know what many use it for atm but the direction Linux is trying to head and something which is often banged on about is how Linux is/will become a Windows replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread