what manner of gheiness is this?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
why can't I pin a batchfile to the taskbar in win7?

I know the trick to open the hidden folder that allows you to drop stuff in directly, but if I do that with a batch file I can see it in the folder but the taskbar refuses to show the icon. wtf?

reason: I use multiple languages in my win7 setup. my artsy-fartsy proggy Gimp autodetects them and for some odd reason always starts in Dutch even though my main win language is English. Now I can read that strange Dutch language as well as the next half-dutch-half-scots person, but I FRIGGIN HATE IT IN MY PROGRAMMES :eek:

so, I have a batchfile that sets Gimp's environment to en (lang=en) and starts it. this works. why does it not pin to the taskbar? aaargh!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Could it be a security of batch file issue? I know doze considers batch files 'unsafe' in various contexts... any options on that somewhere?

TdC

it's prolly something tricksy like that. it also won't do it if I link to the batch. also, editing the original link to reflect the lang=en thing after the command fails too :/

edit: I realized that I can remove all the other languages from Gimp except english. hur hur not nice but problem sorted. Still, I'd prefer the more elegant way :)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I thought this thread was supposed to be about Guinness! :(

FOR SHAME!

:drink: :mad:

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I know the trick to open the hidden folder that allows you to drop stuff in directly, but if I do that with a batch file I can see it in the folder but the taskbar refuses to show the icon. wtf?

What's that trick? I want to drop a PC shortcut there but when I try it just forces me to have that ghey libraries link instead, meaning I have to right click before left clicking pc, that's far too many clicks! ;)

TdC

TdC

npiez Wazz, hope it works for you :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
From another forum not my work :)

I played some more and figured out how to do it.

* First, pin a shortcut for cmd.exe to the taskbar, using the method SoonerSkeene told us about above.
* Right click the shortcut on the taskbar.
* You will see a list that includes "Command Prompt" and "Unpin this program from the taskbar".
* Right click the icon for cmd and select properties.
* In the box for Target, go to the end of "%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe" and type " /C " and the path and name of the batch file.

You can also change the Icon or click the General tab and change the name of the shortcut if you wish.

TdC

ooh better method, cheers! when I tried putting the batch in the task bar direct it wouldn't display on screen but your method is differrent :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Does anyone know why a load of folders I'd pinned to PC have now disappeared? And when I try and add them again it does nothing?

TdC

did you look in the folder?

type "shell:user pinned" in the text box
a folder will open containing some stuff

are your things still in the taskbar folder?

TdC

in that case, it's sun spots, magnified by a static lens made by volcanic ash attracted to lay lines.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I tried using Windows 7 again today. It's still pants.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's much better than Windows XP. It's a little rough round the edges in places, but it's the first decent OS Windows have done since 2000.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Microsoft even.

Bodhi

It's much better than Windows XP. It's a little rough round the edges in places, but it's the first decent OS Windows have done since 2000.

I'm not comparing it to XP :p I'm comparing it to Vista, which is still better. So ner.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Vista better than Win7?

You seriously need to lay off the crack man. Mental.

Bodhi

Vista better than Win7?

You seriously need to lay off the crack man. Mental.

Windows 7 is great if you're a retard and need shielding from the "oily bits" of a PC, personally I'd rather have Vista and have access to the oily bits so I can fix if something goes wrong (which hardly happens ime on Vista, most stable OS I have ever used).

I'm sorry but if I was too retarded to use complicated things like a directory tree in Explorer I'd buy a fucking Mac.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What oily bits do you reckon you can get to in Vista that you can't in Win7? It's all here, only more. Plus better performance, less system hog and better compatibility. To name but a few.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Windows 7 is great if you're a retard and need shielding from the "oily bits" of a PC, personally I'd rather have Vista and have access to the oily bits so I can fix if something goes wrong (which hardly happens ime on Vista, most stable OS I have ever used).

I'm sorry but if I was too retarded to use complicated things like a directory tree in Explorer I'd buy a fucking Mac.

I've no idea what you've been using but it doesn't sound like Win 7, after all it's just Vista with a bit of polish and performance boost.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So yeah I cannot get my options back under the PC pin on the taskbar, even if I redo the whole process.

Means I now have to have to use the stupid fucking explorer, which auto-opens libraries, which I don't want or use.

Anyone have any ideas? Can I default explorer to open a different page instead of one that's useless to me?

TdC

I'm curious about that as well. I want it to open to my home dir :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
Shift Right Click on the Folder then properties. Enter the path after the explorer.exe

TdC

wow, I did that and then filled this in the Target input field:

Code:
%windir%\explorer.exe %UserProfile%

it now works! thanks soze, you will be mentioned in my will!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom