What makes a good BG player?

Roken

One of Freddy's beloved
Sorry if this has been done, I have commented on some these are my opinions! , please add or discuss!

A Good Player.
  • Skill
    Knowing your characters strengths and weaknesses
    Mobility - how good you are at running, dodging, hiding and positioning
    Tactics aka Common sense
  • Co-operation
    Working in a group
    Helping your fellow player
  • Interaction
    Emotes - One is enough 9 times out of 10
    Nice emotes in nice situations go for it, but /laugh /slap /rude 3+ times to a dead guy - i'll say no more
    Try /salute or /bow to the dead dude - they feel better, doesn't matter if you owned them, its just cooler
    Chat - /y THIS IS A PANTS WAY OF GETTING YOUR MESSAGE ACROSS: /y 4nD 5o 15 7415.
    Someone does something nice for ya? "ty" 4 keystrokes... go on ;)
    Yes or No answer required to help someone? "y" or "n" ... ooh only 3!
    Invite - Again, if I decline an invite, asking me another 9 times sure as sh*t isn't gonna make me join
    Spam - Just don't
BG Goals.
  • Realm Points
    Kill players from other realms
    (or at least hurt players who susequently die while you are alive and in bg*)
    You will get them quicker in a group (that isn't full of fools)
  • Taking Keep
    That is the official goal.
    Attack it or Defend it, simple as that!
    I prefer attacking (lucky really since im an Alb ;) )
  • PvP Training
    When to camp and when to gtfoot.
    Which of my RvE skills will carry to PvP? (damn I can't Mind control that cute lil Kobby)
    To group or not to group...

Fun
  • Surely the most important of all...
    If you are having fun, at noone else's expense, then ignore any of the above :D

(ps. And no I'm certainly not all the above, but I try- and I have alot of fun :D)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Fun
  • Surely the most important of all...
    If you are having fun, at noone else's expense, then ignore any of the above :D

BG is fun, thats all it is, thats all it ever should be.

As for a good BG player? The one who enjoys themselves and doesnt try to ruin the fun of others is the only good BG player there is.

Some, like the guy who has a rr10 main, has his/her bg alt wearing MP kit with capped everything sc'd and buff-botted to hell will think they are a great BG player :rolleyes:

Even a total prune can own in thid if they have the right spec/right kit and a BB :)

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
a player that is so skilful that he does not even need a bb to own :p

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
You missed one

Grouping
Actually staying near the rest of the group

Snarks

Fledgling Freddie
Learning not to camp MPK/APK once you've got CK would be a most desireable skill in BG's especially in BG3.

I also wish more Hibs would visit BG3 as the Alb/Mid zerging gets real boring after a while.

There again what would I know, I'm a Minstrel who failed to cap out in BG3 due to getting pissed off with PK camping :eek:

Xplo

Banned
I play MA in bg ^^ nice to have 801 hps tbh ;d

Demafracture.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Purposfully making your Thane/Warrior out to be a Healer/Shaman by equiping him with an NPC SI shield so that when those bastard stealthers pop you expecting a fleshy healer/shaman you can block and bash fortehwin.

Also a good BG thane uses 'Invoke Mjollnir' as much as he can to try and de-stealth people standing near your main target, also to try and force enemy LD's :)

My last BG tour (with a thane if you hadn't picked up) was almost totally devoted to finding stealthers and making them suffer eternally for messing with me and my hammer :D

Aside from that, i'd have to say the key thing that makes a good BG player is sombody who isn't afraid to group everyone in sight. Its not emain. Rejecting people based on the fact that their class isn't suitable for your perfect group is silly. The more people you have the more RPs you will get.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Xplo said:
I play MA in bg ^^ nice to have 801 hps tbh ;d

Demafracture.

lol not more? :) my old warrior on thid/pryd had just a tad over 900 (913 i think) hits if i was buffed by a 24 BB :)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon said:
My last BG tour (with a thane if you hadn't picked up) was almost totally devoted to finding stealthers and making them suffer eternally for messing with me and my hammer :D

Thane assassin hunter, thats a good one :clap:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
the crossbowfish!

people that listen to the cg when there's someone worth listening to suggesting things :)

Xplo

Banned
Ctuchik said:
lol not more? :) my old warrior on thid/pryd had just a tad over 900 (913 i think) hits if i was buffed by a 24 BB :)

I have not capped con in sc :<

Bishibosh

Fledgling Freddie
Roken said:
A Good Player.

unfortunately to be a "good" player usually involves being an infil, bonedancer or enchanter... especially bonedancer with their l33t one button action :(

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Faeldawn said:
Thane assassin hunter, thats a good one :clap:

It ro><><ors actually, probably because of PBAE thunder which allows me to fuck up an assasins PA - i'l admit when i was up against people who seemed (atleast to me) to have a degree of experience it was pretty close (and i did on occasion get my ass handed too me), but typically most assasins i faced were so shaken by not being able to get their 'PAfortehwin' off that they'd stand there for a few seconds not sure what was going on... or was that my shield stun? Hard to tell these days. In any case, Thanes r0>< ;)

Vepo

Fledgling Freddie
What Makes a good BG Player!

A person that can enjoy himself or herself when playing the game in a group and outside a group, always winning or always dying.

Having the best class/race/realm doesn't really matter, it's you enjoying the game that makes you a good player.

If you get annoyed/angry at the game you need to take a break and only remember it's just a game. You are in control of what you and can't do, you have the power to turn it off.

XeffoInfil

Fledgling Freddie
lessen the cheating, icnrease the big encounters and lessen the PK camping and the most important thing about the BG, the FUN factor can be achieved.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
Vepo said:
What Makes a good BG Player!

A person that can enjoy himself or herself when playing the game in a group and outside a group, always winning or always dying.

Having the best class/race/realm doesn't really matter, it's you enjoying the game that makes you a good player.

If you get annoyed/angry at the game you need to take a break and only remember it's just a game. You are in control of what you and can't do, you have the power to turn it off.
i think u lost the point of the question..

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
bg1 is simply to get mcl thenleave the random chaotic mess as fast as you can

Erinnizz

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
bg1 is simply to get mcl thenleave the random chaotic mess as fast as you can

Have to agree, mcl really helped my Warrior alot, same as for my hunter :cheers:

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Good BG player
1 who does not scream for backup when they see a solo character.
1 who does not spam stupid emotes
1 who knows his character
1 where u see his name in the deatspam fairly consistantly and only see him die a few times. (ofc a healing chars does not count):
for healers:
(1 who does not: dot/smite/dd etc. instead of healing)

1 thats not afraid to solo
1 who does not just play a single button fotm char ;)
1 who does not add on fair fights
1 who does not come on Freddyshouse posting: omg i so wtfpwned u all, your hole realm suck.
1 who has fun and is not just in BG to beat up new players.

People that does NOT make idiot stealth groups and kill soloers.
nothing more annoying than having a nice fight and suddenly 2-3 ns +ranger pop. and this goes for Infils and SB's aswell :m00:

Rath

Fledgling Freddie
There are plenty of good players in BG1 & BG 3 imo.

The players I enjoy and respect most are the ones who have come to learn how to play thier character in RVR and the ones who are there to experiment with new and different techniques.

The things I hate most are peeps who emote peeps they've killed needlessly, and I also hate the zerg mentality, and people who think they are leaders :p

Cheers All!

Rhesus_Minus

Fledgling Freddie
Bishibosh said:
unfortunately to be a "good" player usually involves being an infil, bonedancer or enchanter... especially bonedancer with their l33t one button action :(
Which button? One of the DOTs, Lifetap, Bolt, Root, Pets aggressive, Pets Defense, Pets passive, Pets attack one while bonedancer attack another and still keep track on the pet healers hp?
When to use archer pet instead of healer or mage depending on spec?

Of course you can play the Lifetap only way but that aint much fun and you wont get as much rps ;)

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Good player = who ever enjoys what he's doing, and tries not to ruin the fun for anyone else. Allthough thats very hard in rvr :p

Either your reward, being friends with the enemy, or a big pat on the back from king arthur himself :p

Gorre

Fledgling Freddie
Good Bg player?
hmm /level bbot and sced equip? :D
joking
just depends what your definition is of "good"

imho everyone who doenst add on "fair" fights
one of teh only reasons why i enjoy BGs, atleast there you get a chance to have a nice duel

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Bishibosh said:

unbuffed bonedancers die in 2 shots to a good assasin, trust me I've released enough times to realise this. Lets not even go into how easy it is for a good caster to down a bg bonedancer.

The place where they really pwn is when someone (usually an archer) tries to kite us or run away, lifetap will always win in that situation.

Should be capping my bd soon in Caledonia after a long time playing around in the bgs and learned a lot about the class as a bg class, powerful yes, situationally and against certain classes, but overpowered, nah.

SiddlesVonHell

Fledgling Freddie
I would say some who has fast reflexes and is able to analyze situations well. Understands the ins and outs of his class very well and is able to perform to the maximum. Is nice and helps others when he/she can. Won't get pissed off at others or simply pissed of at anything nearby if he/she dies or looses in some way. _Doesn't Bot_. Doesn't feed on on things that don't stand a chance (<3 Sjumil, never adds in my fights when i'm playing a shade, just claps when I win and then runs off at speed 3 :clap: ) And generally plays bg for fun, not as some serious business etc.

Shamyn

Fledgling Freddie
Here's a thid guide I wrote a while ago, it's mainly for hibs but most of the stuff should work for mids/albs too:

1. Move as one

With or without a speed character in the group, it is essential that people stay together. It is no good attacking the enemy when only half of the group is there. To avoid this, a person who 'drives' should be decided, and everyone should use the /stick command on this person. Otherwise people will be left behind, will lose speed and the group has to go back for them.

The driver should also decide which way the group goes. He/she can of course take suggestions from the other group members, but if you have a good idea where to go, dont start heading that way and say "let's go apk" while the others are headed exactly the opposite way. Most likely they wont notice you, you'll lose speed and they'll have to go back for you.

2. Stay mobile, don't camp portal keeps

Often a group might find themselves camping a certain location, midgard bridge or an enemy portal keep for example.

For example, let's imagine there is a battle on MB. You defeat the enemy (mids), and they flee to their portal keep. You catch and kill a few of them on the way there, but a few run to the portal keep. The thing most people do in this situation is decide to camp outside the portal keep, and wait for the 2 mids to charge a fg of hibs so you can kill them. This obviously wont work, and people often will go inside the range of the high-level keep guards and die. Ressurecting from there might be tricky, so dieing to the portal keep guards should be avoided at all times.

So if you find the enemy hiding in their keep, dont stand in visual range and wait for them to come out. Rather go hunt the other realm, and meanwhile the enemy might decide to come out of their keep when they assume you've left. Then, and only then can you effectively kill them in the open.

3. There are two enemies, not one

If albs/mids have the central keep, you might often find yourself camping MB, and trying to kill a few enemies that come in range. This might work for a while, but eventually they will only get ressed, and go back inside the keep. In an example situation, the albs have CK. Hibs camp MB, and try to kill any albs that come out. Then all of a sudden a fg of mids show up behind the hibs, and since they are trapped between two enemies, they die, unless they can defeat the enemy on either side fast.

4. Flanking

A head on assault is never as effective as a fast strike in the rear/sides. If you attack the rear/sides, enemy casters wont have time to pick targets and cast on you, and you might even get in melee range without being noticed. Therefore, when going to midgard portal keep for example, don't run along the road, but rather on the hills on its sides.

Another situation where flanking will prove useful is, with water. I've often seen albs in the river east of CK be a pain in the ass. The hibs (who have CK) charge them in the water, and they start running towards APK. For some reason, the hibs seem to imagine that they can catch the albs before they reach APK, although the albs are already on land, and the hibs are still only halfway across the river.

In the above situation, If there are two groups or more, atleast one group should go to MB, cross the river there and attack the rear of the albs when they're still in the water. They will have nowhere to run when they have hibs on both sides.

5. Attacking mezzed targets

Mesmerizing, or mezzing is one of the best ways to demobilize the enemy. However, once someone hits the enemy, the mezz will break and the target is free to move again.

When the bard in you group AOE mezzes an enemy group, your first priority targets should be the ones that were outside the mezz radius, or resisted it. Killing them shouldn't take too long, and after that you can set yourself up to kill the mezzed targets. Tanks can set up for positionals, and casters will have time to pick good targets for their spells.

The worst thing to do is have the bard mezz, and then everyone attack different targets as if they weren't mezzed at all. This will only lead to flames from the more experienced members of the group, so avoid it.

SiddlesVonHell

Fledgling Freddie
Shamyn said:
Here's a thid guide I wrote a while ago, it's mainly for hibs but most of the stuff should work for mids/albs too:

1. Move as one

With or without a speed character in the group, it is essential that people stay together. It is no good attacking the enemy when only half of the group is there. To avoid this, a person who 'drives' should be decided, and everyone should use the /stick command on this person. Otherwise people will be left behind, will lose speed and the group has to go back for them.

The driver should also decide which way the group goes. He/she can of course take suggestions from the other group members, but if you have a good idea where to go, dont start heading that way and say "let's go apk" while the others are headed exactly the opposite way. Most likely they wont notice you, you'll lose speed and they'll have to go back for you.

2. Stay mobile, don't camp portal keeps

Often a group might find themselves camping a certain location, midgard bridge or an enemy portal keep for example.

For example, let's imagine there is a battle on MB. You defeat the enemy (mids), and they flee to their portal keep. You catch and kill a few of them on the way there, but a few run to the portal keep. The thing most people do in this situation is decide to camp outside the portal keep, and wait for the 2 mids to charge a fg of hibs so you can kill them. This obviously wont work, and people often will go inside the range of the high-level keep guards and die. Ressurecting from there might be tricky, so dieing to the portal keep guards should be avoided at all times.

So if you find the enemy hiding in their keep, dont stand in visual range and wait for them to come out. Rather go hunt the other realm, and meanwhile the enemy might decide to come out of their keep when they assume you've left. Then, and only then can you effectively kill them in the open.

3. There are two enemies, not one

If albs/mids have the central keep, you might often find yourself camping MB, and trying to kill a few enemies that come in range. This might work for a while, but eventually they will only get ressed, and go back inside the keep. In an example situation, the albs have CK. Hibs camp MB, and try to kill any albs that come out. Then all of a sudden a fg of mids show up behind the hibs, and since they are trapped between two enemies, they die, unless they can defeat the enemy on either side fast.

4. Flanking

A head on assault is never as effective as a fast strike in the rear/sides. If you attack the rear/sides, enemy casters wont have time to pick targets and cast on you, and you might even get in melee range without being noticed. Therefore, when going to midgard portal keep for example, don't run along the road, but rather on the hills on its sides.

Another situation where flanking will prove useful is, with water. I've often seen albs in the river east of CK be a pain in the ass. The hibs (who have CK) charge them in the water, and they start running towards APK. For some reason, the hibs seem to imagine that they can catch the albs before they reach APK, although the albs are already on land, and the hibs are still only halfway across the river.

In the above situation, If there are two groups or more, atleast one group should go to MB, cross the river there and attack the rear of the albs when they're still in the water. They will have nowhere to run when they have hibs on both sides.

5. Attacking mezzed targets

Mesmerizing, or mezzing is one of the best ways to demobilize the enemy. However, once someone hits the enemy, the mezz will break and the target is free to move again.

When the bard in you group AOE mezzes an enemy group, your first priority targets should be the ones that were outside the mezz radius, or resisted it. Killing them shouldn't take too long, and after that you can set yourself up to kill the mezzed targets. Tanks can set up for positionals, and casters will have time to pick good targets for their spells.

The worst thing to do is have the bard mezz, and then everyone attack different targets as if they weren't mezzed at all. This will only lead to flames from the more experienced members of the group, so avoid it.

1 2 3 and 5 in your post are common sense, Shamyn, but I agree, it's amazing how tough it is for some people to follow these simple and effective guidelines. However I believe that 4 is an advanced tactic of warfare but can be very effective when properly executed, but most of the time when I say 1fg go and flank you end up with 2 ppl from 3 different grps getting pwned :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom