What makes a Character Tough ?

Punishment

Resident Freddy
How is it that some toons are just stronger that others even with inferior items/templates ?

Is it skill or is it just plain chance or the way the game is coded ???

I just asking as i know of afew people with lets say ... not top notch templates that eat everything alive and i wanna know if its just skill or luck ?

P.S. U may notice i didn't make this a poll as i hate the damn things :p

censi

Can't get enough of FH
armour vulnerabilties/resistences/buffed resistences, rng, specs, template, using the right styles i guess could help, procs definetly.

like u can duel a player 10 times loose the first 5 in a row and win the last 5.
u can duel someone and loose with them on 95% hits and duel them again and have 95% etc.

i think that leads to a lot of "OMG nerf that" when you loose, but you dont think "omg nerf me" when you pwn summin.

illu

Part of the furniture
I think DAOC is a bit like football, you can generally predict the result, but you will occasionally get a "surprise result" :>

And like the guys above said, there's a lot to be said for luck/lag/rng/pulling off combo moves/artis up/buffs/templates/procs/RAs/MLs/CLs etc etc etc.

Oli - Illu

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
In my case I think constantly being farmed, zerged and steamrolled by groups has gradually work-hardened my skin and made it more resilient. :(

Nul

Fledgling Freddie
Template, RR, RA-spec.

I have AoM3, MoP3, MoB3 on my thane with the idea of beeing a BG bot.
I always loose 1 vs 1 in rvr but Im good at interupt and protecting the
ones I have with me in grp.

Did a duel against a guilde rr7 zerk the other day. When I had 10% hp left
he had 94% hp left. :p
Odd thing is that I can chain pull red con mobs w/o heals. My guess is that
my high dex is only effective in pve.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Spec / RA's / knowing what to do is the most important three things IMO.

Knowing what to do is simply knowing what to do in certain circumstances. Whether to charge or stay put, whether to stay or run, what ML's to dump etc.

B

Betrayal

illu said:
I think DAOC is a bit like football, you can generally predict the result, but you will occasionally get a "surprise result" :>

And like the guys above said, there's a lot to be said for luck/lag/rng/pulling off combo moves/artis up/buffs/templates/procs/RAs/MLs/CLs etc etc etc.

Oli - Illu
So true. 80% of a fight is unpredictable. You can forsee some steps forward (as when to pop x ability or use your stun or kite or use RA), but allways something can surprise you in oponent actions (excluding adds for the example given) who can screw your battle plan completely. I guess best players in 1v1 (rvr not duels) are the ones who predict enemy actions with couple steps ahead to prevent / counter them and have quick reactions. No fight is same even with same adversary (unless he is a NPC :p).
Luck allways plays a big part as well, both for attack / defence (supposing both fighters start on even terms, timers up etc). I find it very hard on my scout to use all artis / RAs at least decent in a fight, spend most of my time trying to get into a position where the enemy stops giving me not in view or side / back stuns me.
PS: did you put the bit where we fight underwater at glen bridge in movie too ilu? :> Is one of few fights where everything went my way :>

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
when you face something similar or worse then urself it may be skill. But otherwise this game is like the game sten/sax/pase..erhm..in english stone scissor bag?:p You notice you can duel same spec or guy with ur spec/temp and have a extremly tough time though you catch him with timers down etc...he might not even have to use ip whie you do etc. And he isnt doing anything especially skillfull, then its deffo sten/sax/pase syndrome:p
Nothing to get around...its daoc for you, not balanced in 1 vs 1, so you wotn be able to compete versus certain specs/classes. Though if you respec you might be able to....though instead you will have a hard time against others:p
over and out..

Stallion

Can't get enough of FH
When trying to solo on Enchanter. Its rare to lose a 'pure' 1 v 1 if im alert enough, (yeah flame away etc) but this aint my point.

The hard part is about controling the adds and not dying after killing this first target, or even get to finish this first target without getting added on.

This is where luck plays the biggest part of the game along with random stuff like resists. Everything else you can basicly try to predict and control.

Yesterday for instance, I think I got about 4 pure 1 v 1, during a session of 3 hours. Rest was interrupted by adds mainly or people running away to come back when they see your busy finishing someone else off. Think I got 6k / h yesterday compared to another day when I had 20-25k/h (and no this aint by adding like a pig). Playstyle is the same, but the luck / odds are more in my favor.

To solo as a caster has become alot harder and more challenging (you have verry little marginal to make errors). Since nerfs like speedwarp in water, max 2 brittle guards (yes you can have 2), PA's penetrating brittle guards.

The PA / BS penetrating ability has become be biggest horror of a solo caster I think. Just imagine you have a target at 30-40% and your about to land 2 more nukes for the final killing blow. remember you have to stand stil FACING the enemies direction to be able to do this. Makes you a perfect PA target. Before nerf atleast you could finish a target, today its impossible if you get an add.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
ebenezer said:
when you face something similar or worse then urself it may be skill. But otherwise this game is like the game sten/sax/pase..erhm..in english stone scissor bag?:p You notice you can duel same spec or guy with ur spec/temp and have a extremly tough time though you catch him with timers down etc...he might not even have to use ip whie you do etc. And he isnt doing anything especially skillfull, then its deffo sten/sax/pase syndrome:p
Nothing to get around...its daoc for you, not balanced in 1 vs 1, so you wotn be able to compete versus certain specs/classes. Though if you respec you might be able to....though instead you will have a hard time against others:p
over and out..

Oh to clearify to the ones that got confused. This was meant for tanks/stealthers/visible meleers, on casters its much simpler. if i am on my eld/bainshee and see someone before me i kill them:p And if i had high rr i suppose i could kill anything that moves:p 1 vs 1 that is...
over and out..

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
Nul said:
Template, RR, RA-spec.

I have AoM3, MoP3, MoB3 on my thane with the idea of beeing a BG bot.
I always loose 1 vs 1 in rvr but Im good at interupt and protecting the
ones I have with me in grp.

Did a duel against a guilde rr7 zerk the other day. When I had 10% hp left
he had 94% hp left. :p
Odd thing is that I can chain pull red con mobs w/o heals. My guess is that
my high dex is only effective in pve.

With zerker you can frontload so much dmg that thane hasn't got a change to win a duel. :p

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Ixoth said:
With zerker you can frontload so much dmg that thane hasn't got a change to win a duel. :p

And dual wield has a massive advantage over shield.

illu

Part of the furniture
Betrayal said:
/snip
PS: did you put the bit where we fight underwater at glen bridge in movie too ilu? :> Is one of few fights where everything went my way :>

Can you PM me more details bud? I don't think it's in the movie, I missed a handful of great fights when Gamecam decided it didn't want to record :( But on the other hand - it might be in the pile of clips I have :>

Oli - Illu

pip

Banned
Ra+Timing+Template+Resists up or down+Artis up or down+Mls up or down+Attack speed If they got you not got=lose, Dam just lots of reasons to lose:(

brad

Fledgling Freddie
Who wants to fight meh warrior!

Kagato's skin is like a wet paper bag to mine.:)

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Punishment said:
How is it that some toons are just stronger that others even with inferior items/templates ?

Is it skill or is it just plain chance or the way the game is coded ???

I just asking as i know of afew people with lets say ... not top notch templates that eat everything alive and i wanna know if its just skill or luck ?

P.S. U may notice i didn't make this a poll as i hate the damn things :p

level of experience on the player
luck
template
timered abilitys

For example, can meet an inf and I get killed with him on 70%, just because he evaded 3 times in a row and his SoM procced 4 times. Next time we meet I can kill same inf and end on 70% just because he didnt evade once, nor did his SoM procc while mine did.

Some fights are simply just totally random, especially between stealthers. Win one time, loose next, win next isnt unusal for me at least. Sometimes its down to timers ofc but usually not for me since Im quite limited timerwise as pierceNS, which imo, is more fun but less competative specc.

gohan

FH is my second home
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
It's beards I tell ye...
Beards are the secret!!
braided beards give even more points!!
;)

its not the the beard its armour dye.... u see black armour makes ur weak cos u just copy every1 lime green armour on the other hand gives u more hp as it blinds the opponent an increses thier missrate, an pink armour makes u hit harder as it gives them a false sense of security an they lower thier defense.......... see its all logical ect

Brackus

Fledgling Freddie
Depending on your class a result of a fight can REALLY depend on what abilities you use, this could be anything from stopping someone from stealthing by casting a dot from an arti / self ability to staffing a caster to interrupt them.

a lot of it you have to know your class soo well as well as knowing the enemy to know when and what abilties to use. For example the other day I was on my bainshee and a thurg casted 2 air pets on me before i could react, so I turn to him and spam interrupt, he QC another pet, so I had to stand there purely interrupting him at the 2k range so I could stop him from casting any more pets or nuking, I did this until his pets died, at which point he was then in range for me to nuke him (without me being hit by pets), however after I got one nuke off a infil pa chained me. Personally I think I played the fight well, but was just unlucky in the end.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Kagato said:
In my case I think constantly being farmed, zerged and steamrolled by groups has gradually work-hardened my skin and made it more resilient. :(

Hehe u handed me my ass afew times yesterday but that doesn't mean i won't stop trying to beat u meight :D

Hopefully i can get a nice duel against u without those random scout proc's :p when im rr6 ...

Also thanks for replies and i agree with most ... but ml's+template plays a big part too i guess

naic

Loyal Freddie
The player decides which template to use and which abilities it includes.

The player decides when to use all his abilities.

The player decides how much he wants to actually know about the opposing classes/abilities.

Then there's luck... Just like Stajj said about adds and how crowded the RvR zone is. However you can alter the outcome of luck a bit by choosing different zones/roaming areas away from zergs. You can also alter the 'randomness' (SoM proccs etc etc) in fights to some degree depending how good template you choose and abilities used.

All in all, I would say the main cause of a specific character being 'tough', is who sits behind the screen.

IMO!

Marchus

Fledgling Freddie
there is a RA that makes chars tough afaik... it's called toughtness or something like that? 0o
;)

Jobbegea

Loyal Freddie
the overpowerdness of a char.
a monkey still could play an dark sm or sorc without much trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom