SWTOR What is this shit?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Maintenance on a Saturday morning??? Really? Is this a regular thing or an emergency patch?

Started playing yesterday and planned a nice days play today, the wife works Saturdays so it's the time of the week that I can sit and have a long session.

Fucks sake.

Noxydawn

One of Freddy's beloved
As far as i know its usually wednesdays that are normal maintenance days.

Most likely a emergency thing.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
it is bollocks the way they time these things, last 2 patches have been right in euro prime time.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
it is bollocks the way they time these things, last 2 patches have been right in euro prime time.

Have they? I thought they were deployed during weekdays, hardly primetime.

As for the other news it makes me feel a little better about being at work :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

CourtneyWoods
buttonArrowDown.gif

Upcoming Patch + Scheduled Maintenance: January 31st, 2012 | Yesterday , 05:10 PM

Hi everyone!

Our upcoming maintenance for January 28th will begin from 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) until 6AM CST (4AM PST/7AM EST/12PM GMT/1PM CET). All game servers will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than four hours, but could be extended.

There will be in-game notifications that the servers will be going down before maintenance begins.

In addition to this, we wanted to let you know that we will be performing scheduled maintenance for eight hours on January 31st, 2012 from 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) until 10AM CST (8AM PST/11AM EST/4PM GMT/5PM CET). All game servers and swtor.com will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than eight hours, but could be extended.

For our new players, this weekly maintenance is done in order to make general improvements and to check performance of the game so that we can continue to provide a consistent, quality experience. Quite often (but not always) after a maintenance period there will a patch to download. After the maintenance, please login via the launcher to download the latest patch. If your launcher was open during the maintenance, you must close and reopen it for a fresh login.

Scheduled Maintenance

Date: Tuesday, January 31st, 2012

Time: 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET) until 10AM CST (8AM PST/11AM EST/4PM GMT/5PM CET)

All game servers and swtor.com will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than eight hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Courtney Woods | Assistant Community Production Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

TonyMoreno
buttonArrowDown.gif

Today , 05:56 AM

UPDATE 5:45 AM CST: Today's server maintenance has been extended. At this time, we do not have an estimate for the end of the maintenance. Thank you for your patience.

Antonio Moreno | French Community Lead

TonyMoreno
buttonArrowDown.gif

Forum Posting Temporarily Disabled | Today , 01:28 AM

Hello everyone! We have temporarily disabled posting for all community members on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Forums.

We will update this thread when posting has been enabled again, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your patience!

Then, from tweety(12h ago);

The Old Republic @SWTOR
The #SWTOR servers will be coming down early tomorrow morning (CST) for a patch deployment. More info: bit.ly/xF92CL

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
In short;

No idea why, probably emergency patch or some such.

Very poorly done PR wise, but i couldn't give a toss even if it IS a gameday.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
They really need to sort out this maintenance nonsense. It's bad enough they've set up the servers in such a way that they're forced to run 'maintenance' on all of them at the same time instead of being able to have different maintenance windows for NA and EU but is there really a need for 8 hours of maintenance every week?

rynnor

Rockhound
Krazeh said:
They really need to sort out this maintenance nonsense.

Its not maintenance though - thats just a lie for pr purposes - its an emergency fix for god knows what :p

Another 8 hour 'maintenance' on tuesday - wonder if that has the operative nerfs?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Its not maintenance though - thats just a lie for pr purposes - its an emergency fix for god knows what :p

They actually call downtime maintenance as i understand it, be it whatever reason. They've said this is a patch, and since it's on a saturday, emergency one at that.

That's MMOs for ya, the 8h weekly maintenance is no different from other games.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
They should be giving free game time every time this happens..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So, 10 hours of free gametime? Yeah, that'd make everything better, 25 cents :D

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
They should be giving free game time every time this happens..

Why should they do that?

You rather they didn't fix anything at all just so you can play?

Because that would be the only thing that validates your request for free playtime. :)

If you want them to improve the game then you also have to accept that "shit happens" and deal with it. :)

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
If they did it at 2-3am in the morning and the servers were back up by 8-9am max I wouldn't care, but a lot of people play early in the morning / afternoon etc.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Every downtime will hurt someone as we live on a 24h planet, would you rather have a nice nightly downtime and then screw over another country for it?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
But that is why you have EU, American and oceanic servers to reduce this. You don't have different regional servers all patching at once, do it early morning 3am for each region.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's still gonna piss someone off, better for the players to accept and move on ;)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
was same with wow, and so on
at start they do all servers together, till they train their monkeys/get most of the "ZOMG TEH PATCH R EXPLODED TEH SERVORZ" sorted
then they move it to 3am tuesday for EU

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Could be worse, could be EVE online "patch days" where it was at best 72h :p

Bahumat

FH is my second home
old.Tohtori said:
It's still gonna piss someone off, better for the players to accept and move on ;)

so leave it as it is and affect thousands of people instead of making each region patch early morning, thus causing a reduced interruption to the overall player base?

How can you not see the logic with what I've suggested?

rynnor

Rockhound
What was patched is the big question - would they really do an emergency patch to reduce numbers of people being dumped to login screen - I dont think so :p

I also have an inconvenient memory because the exact same wording was used on a patch a few weeks ago - perhaps its going to become familiar as a stock excuse.

It seems Bioware favour the Mushroom approach to their customers - ie. Keep em in the dark and feed em bullshit!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
so leave it as it is and affect thousands of people instead of making each region patch early morning, thus causing a reduced interruption to the overall player base?

How can you not see the logic with what I've suggested?

More towards; do what you want and don't care about raging.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Was it not two weeks ago they did this on a friday night, servers up after 21.00 CET.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't have a problem with the maintenance, especially this early in the game, bugs happen, things need patching etc. It's the timing. Surely if they have to do it in EU daytime then sometime in the week would be much more sensible, when most people are at work.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
old.Tohtori said:
More towards; do what you want and don't care about raging.

Oh don't play the troll card with me. If you don't agree then at least have the decency to explain with a suitable response. My suggestion is logic.

where I work its a Monday to Friday job. That's why allot of maintenance is carried out on the weekend so it does not affect the business. This also means if there are problems, extended maintenance still affects no one.

With star wars I'm normally working when they patch in the week, and normally asleep if they do it on Saturdays so I don't get affected. I only posted because companies such as blizzard carry out maintenance at suitable times for almost everyone.

Mabs

I only posted because companies such as blizzard carry out maintenance at suitable times for almost everyone.

they do NOW

they didnt at release, they took it down for a large part of weds, every week

anyone else remember the wait for the server restart on wednesdays as it got more and more laggy through the week till it was almost unplayable on tuesdays due to memory leaks ?

rynnor

Rockhound
they do NOW

they didnt at release, they took it down for a large part of weds, every week

anyone else remember the wait for the server restart on wednesdays as it got more and more laggy through the week till it was almost unplayable on tuesdays due to memory leaks ?

That was a few years ago though - the Hero engine is supposed to be patchable without stopping it so Bioware must have hacked it about pretty badly to require 8 hour downtimes like this tuesday.

Mabs

That was a few years ago though - the Hero engine is supposed to be patchable without stopping it so Bioware must have hacked it about pretty badly to require 8 hour downtimes like this tuesday.

yeah but teething problems etc, will always crop up

end of the day, as long as they arent doing this 2-3 months from now, i wont complain :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yeah but its common sense. You learn from history and you don't make the same mistakes if possible. surely they saw how it improved things for wow changing their maintenance times? Whether the game is new or not, down time is something they can improve upon

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh don't play the troll card with me. If you don't agree then at least have the decency to explain with a suitable response. My suggestion is logic.

where I work its a Monday to Friday job. That's why allot of maintenance is carried out on the weekend so it does not affect the business. This also means if there are problems, extended maintenance still affects no one.

With star wars I'm normally working when they patch in the week, and normally asleep if they do it on Saturdays so I don't get affected. I only posted because companies such as blizzard carry out maintenance at suitable times for almost everyone.

Troll card? Please. It was a serious answer, i'm hoping bioware do just that; ignroe raging people and make their game what they want, downtimes and such included.

If someone gets pissy, tough. It's an MMO, these things happen, if after all these years and games it's not clear to someone, shouldn't play 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom