What is the best video game of all time?

X

Xtro

I dug out my Colecovision and played Basketball with the speech pack last night. Remember this is from 1980 so imagine Stephen Hawking commentating. Ahhhhhh bliss.

G

Gumbo

Originally posted by stu
Get Freelancer. It's basically Elite with a storyline. Such a shame it's not an MMO.

Freelancer is good, but sooooooooooo shallow, 6 or 7 hours and you're just bored of the same old shite I'm afraid. Nothing at all like the months and months of pleasure that ELITE, my choice of best game of all time, brought.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by stu
Get Freelancer. It's basically Elite with a storyline. Such a shame it's not an MMO.

hmmm, like, I wish it was.

Originally posted by Gumbo
Freelancer is good, but sooooooooooo shallow, 6 or 7 hours and you're just bored of the same old shite I'm afraid. Nothing at all like the months and months of pleasure that ELITE, my choice of best game of all time, brought.

I don't know. Isn't there a FL demo? I'd love for a game to captivate me like elite did. I can take a lot of shite before I put a game away for the duration, and I like the space stuff. Sadly I fear that the sheer playability that Elite had, going on forever without becoming (too) dull just can't be replicated in todays games. The makers just don't get the blend right for some reason.

F

flaky

SPEAKING OF DEMOS....THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A GTAIII DEMO EVER

S

Summo

Amazing, isn't it? Elite had no plot, no characters, wireframe graphics, and only ever bleeped at you, yet most people here (myself included) rate it as the best game of all time.

edit: There is a Freelancer demo, TdC.

D

djpringle

Elite is a definite possibility for best game but I ended up playing Frontier: Elite 2 more.

The best in my opinion though is Civ 2 (Civ 1 and 3 don't come close).

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Summo

edit: There is a Freelancer demo, TdC.

ta. when I have a pc again (bliss) then I shall check it out ;)

I

isuck

Freelancer = Dowhatyourtoldlancer.

I thought u could just go anywhere and ally with whoever. But u cant. The bastards.

And, u cant blow up main bases. Which would be funny. The bastards.

As for the best video game of all time, hrm.

Half Life (pc)
Tetris (gb)
Super probotector (snes)
Mario Land (gb)
MGS (ps)
Shogo:MAD (pc)

Off the top of my fat head.

p.s. wtf is Elite ? :/

A

adams901

ahh elite, i remember the the countless hours I would spend crashing into the spinning station while trying to dock.

G

Gef

Ultima Online ..

*hides*

Nah but thats new'ish, if were talking old scool games then its gotta be Frontier Elite, cant beat sitting in front of a space stations docking hole in a Panther Clipper with about 300 shield generators and a 900t Large Plasma Accelerator and blowing the shit out of anything that comes out of the docking port.

X

xane

Originally posted by adams901
ahh elite, i remember the the countless hours I would spend crashing into the spinning station while trying to dock.

No problems in EVE then, eh ;)

(Saw you on the beta forums)

F

flaky

gta 3 is the best game, along with duck hunt and goldeneye

K

kameleon

Originally posted by adams901

Docking computer was the best upgrade in the game.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by kameleon

aye, but mil-spec lasers and the shield booster were pretty nice too heh :)

G

GDW

Originally posted by kameleon

Wasnt there a bug/cheat in the game that allowed you to dock. All you had to do was face the station and hyperdrive into it, or something like that.

W

Will

Originally posted by Grandadwrinkle
Wasnt there a bug/cheat in the game that allowed you to dock. All you had to do was face the station and hyperdrive into it, or something like that.
I don't know about that one, but there was a bug/feature in Frontier which allowed you to get anywhere in two hyperjumps, using triangulation and the fact you got a second ring of jumpable planets well outside the initial jump range.;)

G

GDW

Originally posted by isuck

p.s. wtf is Elite ? :/

Elite was an open ended space trading game with an element of combat. The player started out owning a small Cobra Mk III ship. Through buying and selling of cargo at space stations in orbit around other planets in other solar systems, the player was able to buy better equipment for their ship.

The player started the game docked at a space station orbiting the planet Lave. The player's ship had 7 tons of fuel onboard, enough to get them to a few other local solar systems but not much further. The ship also came armed with a small laser and a small cargo hold. Apart from the ship, the only other thing the player had was 100 credits to spend on whatever cargo they wanted. Commodity price information at other solar systems was vital to making a profit, as was other general information on the system. For example, slaves could be highly profitable, but they were illegal in many solar systems. The player could risk trading in illegal cargo, but the local police would be after them and their chances of escaping alive would decrease.

The player progressed by making money and attaining a new status linked to the number of 'kills' they acheived during space combat. Starting off as 'harmless', the ultimate aim of the game was to become 'elite' - hence the title of the game. Different versions of the game had additional 'missions' that would give the player a specific task to complete. The reward was usually money or a new piece of equipment to add to their ship.

The player would buy and sell at the station, then choose a new solar system to travel to. Having chosen their next destination, they would launch from the station and then engage their hyperdrive. On arrival at the next solar system, their main priority was to find the nearest space station and manually dock (which was difficult to do at the best of times until you could afford a docking computer!). Once safely docked, trading could begin again.

There was, of course, the chance of other ships engaging the player in combat enroute to the station. If the player was feeling brave enough, they might even have fired first! Combat was simply a matter of getting close enough to the other ship and firing at it. Obviously, the other ship would normally be moving to avoid being hit, so you would often try and anticipate the other ship's moves before firing. Heat seeking missiles could also be bought and fitted to some ships, allowing more accuracy to come into play during combat. A "Right on Commander!" heralded the player's next step up the ladder towards "elite" status.

The graphics in all but the 16-bit conversions of "Elite" were 3D wireframe, with additional static screens giving the player information on prices, solar systems, the ship, their status, etc.

....and thats about as much as I remember;)

W

Wij

Originally posted by Grandadwrinkle

Yes. On the speccy version you fly straight out of the space station. Set your jump destination. Turn round and fly back into the space station at full pelt. Just before you hit it press the hyperspace button. You will end up in the dock of the destination space station.

A

adams901

fucking lamer, how many times do you need to post that link :eek:

FFS BAN!!!

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Originally posted by rodidaleet
i dont rember the game name but i got picture of it :)

Oooo freaky. dvd player just ejected.

T

Tom

I don't know what is happening, but I don't like it, and think a severe kicking might be in order.

Users who are viewing this thread