What Film version of the future do you think will be most accurate ?

Zede

Part of the furniture
I love cyberpunk novels, starting with Gibsons Neuromancer series, to the likes of books like Snow Crash & Altered Carbon.

Cyberpunk ( if your not sure) generally deals with Earth in the nearish future ( ie not 100s of years like say star trek)

My contenders are :

Blade Runner
5th Element
Minority Report
A.I.
Aliens
Soylent Green

feel free to add to the list

Blade Runner seems like a direct rip of Gibsons work, 5th Element felt like Mega City One, I loved the "computer accessing" in Minority Report. AI had a good take on a future search engine, Aliens feels the most real, and the Green, well :)

Im feeling the cities will be more like blade runner than anything else, though its status is holier than thou, id love to see a Blade Runner 2. Ridley could really make something special with what available today, still amazes me how authentic and gritty the film feels.

Marc

FH is my second home
I think the vision of detroit in robocop will apply to most uk towns in the future, such are the amount of people becoming addicted to smack these days, plus the chav element which will be out of control in 10 years.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'd say a nice description is in Cyberpunk RPG(tabletop), especially Cyberpunk 2020. It jsut seems "plausible".

But, it all depends really. Are there aliens, will there be robotics, etc.

I Robot had a nice enough "simple" future, which seems like the most plausible from movie perspective. And i think i'd have to go with that one, say, in 50 or so years. If robotics advance. Fifth element, would be nice, but that would demand some alien interaction and leaps in tech.

Star Trek, isn't that far off, all we need is materialising equipment(read teleport which is nearly here) and warp drive(also in the works).

Infact, we ARE living the sci-fi age, and anything futuristic will come gradually from now on. No superleaps are bound to happen, unless there's another Worldwar. Because war=technology leaps and that's a fact.

What i think we'll see is part Robocop, in the poorer parts and probably some I Robot in middle, working class areas with a touch of Fifth Element in the highclass.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
old.Tohtori said:
Infact, we ARE living the sci-fi age, and anything futuristic will come gradually from now on. No superleaps are bound to happen, unless there's another Worldwar. Because war=technology leaps and that's a fact.

Nuke france, and wahey a cure for cancer?

I really don't think that anybody has come up with a reasonable guess. However it would be cool if it was 5th element like :)

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Well, if we take the future-predicting people out of the equation, I would say Minority Report, as most of the technology for the various stuff displayed in that movie is aviable today.

EDIT: The "Computer accessing" you loved, was that moving stuff around and interacting with images appearing almost like in midair and interacting with it with your hands? Because, that is pausible today and costs almost nothing to set up.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, if we take the future-predicting people out of the equation, I would say Minority Report, as most of the technology for the various stuff displayed in that movie is aviable today.

EDIT: The "Computer accessing" you loved, was that moving stuff around and interacting with images appearing almost like in midair and interacting with it with your hands? Because, that is pausible today and costs almost nothing to set up.

Funny enough, they've actually built a teleporter, working, and are refining it. So, when we get "storages" for different food particles, we can gather foods like in star trek. Like, materialise them.

Also, personal teleports are on their way. Computer screens that are comlpetely holographic and visible only to the user etc.

I think i heard that nokia or some such was refining a holographic mobile thing too.

About everything you see in movies, or have seen, is around this plane, or soon will be, so i have to stick with my "bits and pieces" theory. There's just too many variables to define a future by one, as they all seem to require some super-leap element(warp drives, teleports, robotics, seeing the future, hovercrafts etc).

Zede

Part of the furniture
a la Gibsons work, I intened on downloading myself to a Rom when Im 80 and live virtually forever, anyone wanna do some 8vs8 for old times sake in 2050 ? :)

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Funny enough, they've actually built a teleporter, working, and are refining it. So, when we get "storages" for different food particles, we can gather foods like in star trek. Like, materialise them.

Also, personal teleports are on their way. Computer screens that are comlpetely holographic and visible only to the user etc.

I think i heard that nokia or some such was refining a holographic mobile thing too.

About everything you see in movies, or have seen, is around this plane, or soon will be, so i have to stick with my "bits and pieces" theory. There's just too many variables to define a future by one, as they all seem to require some super-leap element(warp drives, teleports, robotics, seeing the future, hovercrafts etc).

Now, while they are refining it, and such, I think we are still a far shoot away from it being something every man can access. The computer screen stuff in Minority Report is aviable and everybody can go buy it, a vast difference.
We have localized sound transmitters, used for commericals and such, which along with long range high resolution cameras, a DB program, could be used to make personal greetings to everybody who enters a room and is in the DB.
The small droids they use to search the house, I don't think we got the stuff for those yet completely, but we are close. Might be hard to see the resemblance, but just look at automated floor cleaners, that drive around on their own and clean the floor.
There is a vast difference from "we are just discovering" or "they built in a lap" to "being common household item", which is why I think minority reports is closer to our world, technology wise anyway

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
a la Gibsons work, I intened on downloading myself to a Rom when Im 80 and live virtually forever, anyone wanna do some 8vs8 for old times sake in 2050 ? :)

definitely ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Now, while they are refining it, and such, I think we are still a far shoot away from it being something every man can access. The computer screen stuff in Minority Report is aviable and everybody can go buy it, a vast difference.
We have localized sound transmitters, used for commericals and such, which along with long range high resolution cameras, a DB program, could be used to make personal greetings to everybody who enters a room and is in the DB.
The small droids they use to search the house, I don't think we got the stuff for those yet completely, but we are close. Might be hard to see the resemblance, but just look at automated floor cleaners, that drive around on their own and clean the floor.
There is a vast difference from "we are just discovering" or "they built in a lap" to "being common household item", which is why I think minority reports is closer to our world, technology wise anyway

Oh i wasn't saying you're wrong, it's a good enough example of the future as any, even if i find some things in it less likely to happen, then like in I Robot.

Jetpacks, harrier jumpjet like hovercrafts that don't wreck a whole block when hovering, tracker droids etc. those are in the same stage as, well, the teleporter.

There wasn't much "public hightech" shown on Minority Report, so can't say. That's why i thought about I Robot, as everything shown there was more or less plausible and shown as public. Ofcourse robotics is the big step there.

But something like the teleporter, in 20 years, i think it's more likely commercial, atleast in computer technology as it's palnned for. But more also, like said, food processors etc.

Think back 20 years, and then one can notice how much something that's "in a lab" can advance. Also, most of the stuff that are lacking, tracker droids, hovercrafts, jetpacks, teleporters, robots, most likely are ready already, just not told about.

Like the stealth bomber, became public knowledge in 70s, was finished in the 50s. Same with VCRs, they were waiting in stock for 10 years because they thought the public wasn't ready.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I love cyberpunk novels, starting with Gibsons Neuromancer series, to the likes of books like Snow Crash & Altered Carbon.

Cyberpunk ( if your not sure) generally deals with Earth in the nearish future ( ie not 100s of years like say star trek)

My contenders are :

Blade Runner
5th Element
Minority Report
A.I.
Aliens
Soylent Green

feel free to add to the list

Blade Runner seems like a direct rip of Gibsons work, 5th Element felt like Mega City One, I loved the "computer accessing" in Minority Report. AI had a good take on a future search engine, Aliens feels the most real, and the Green, well :)

Im feeling the cities will be more like blade runner than anything else, though its status is holier than thou, id love to see a Blade Runner 2. Ridley could really make something special with what available today, still amazes me how authentic and gritty the film feels.

Aliens does seem the most real I agree, the books and movies went for the "future" vibe but didn't push it "that far" like blade runner and the 5th element, which might I add were both amazing movies.

I just think that the chances of our future being like blade runner and the 5th element are very very slim. Theres way to much to change for it to be like that.

Aliens on the other hand like I previously said seems like a more realistic vibe, terraforming other worlds does seem believable (lets face it one day we'll most likely have no choice but to reach out and terraform other worlds on other galaxies when they invent some super rocket that can travel that distance in a short time)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
a la Gibsons work, I intened on downloading myself to a Rom when Im 80 and live virtually forever

16Kb EEPROM should cover it! ;)

On topic, Bladerunner will be the closest although I'm not sure all the neon's will be in any Asian languages. More probably English as that is the business language of the world.

Zede

Part of the furniture

On topic, Bladerunner will be the closest although I'm not sure all the neon's will be in any Asian languages. More probably English as that is the business language of the world.

If, or should that be when california falls into the sea, im gravitating towards a lot more integration of Asian culture, Serenity/Firefly does this very well. William Gibson ( the inventor of the word "cyberspace") also gave his books a Japanese/Chinese slant, worked well :)

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved

I'm not so sure about the language part, in 50-100 years the asian economys could well be far more powerful then their American counter parts.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
many businesspeople are having to learn chinese and japanese for trading now. i cant see it being long before its mandatory at school.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
makes me laugh when you watch those sci fi's from the 80's and early 90's take total recall for example they had robot driven taxi, now we have loads automated and we dont give it a second thought, and the bulky video phone, now you get 9 year olds walking about with them so small you can lose them in a fag packet.

also in these older sci fi's everyone smoked: take aliens (smoking in a meeting room!) or the fifth element for example but we're not too far off from having it banned totally.

these futuristic thingies just kind of creep up on you and insinuate themselves in to normal life so when we are living this futuristic vision we'll all be so used to it it wont be astonishing, i can tell you one thing though i wont be wearing any white spandex thats for sure!

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
aw ez, i was hoping me and you would be trend setting the white spandex :(

Ezteq

Queen of OT
rofl i can just see you doing like ned flanders in his ski suit

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Serenity, obviously without the deep south accented rag wearing types on the outer planets

e0b1ff

Fledgling Freddie
Children of men

And when fully intergrated AI is introduced. without propper care i see the matrix happening.

(it's just not the same seing playboy full of energiser bunnys)

e0b1ff

Fledgling Freddie
Wow, didn't realise it was that old.. i saw it in a related filter on warhammer forums..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom