What do you guys think?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The point he is making is that for the same investment of time and money as guitar queero, you can learn guitar.

Can the same be said for counter strike? Ace combat? Tetris? Any of the other crap examples? Nope.

For the same amount of time i've spent in fallout 3, i could have learned spanish.

For the same amount of time i've spent in MMOs, i could have learned thermodynamics.

For the same amount of time Aoami learned the guitar, he could have learned first aid, german, how to cook a suffle or a number of other things.

For the same time he's played some rally game, he could have become a rally driver.

Why did he learn guitar? He wanted to do that and not the other stuff.
Why does someone play guitar hero? He wants to play guitar hero and not learn the guitar.

Thing is; no one is judging Aoami for learning the guitar, Aoami is judging others for playing guitar hero without any solid reason.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
There might be a point in "less people will pick up a real guitar", but then again on the flipside more people might pick up a guitar due to the game also. Might balance out in the end.

The thing is, at the end of day, it's a game.

think its more that ppl use that piece of plastic because they CANT learn how to play a real guitarr.

i mean, its infinately easier to smash buttons then there is to actually play that fast on a proper guitarr :)

if they really wanted to learn they would have bought one insted of spending 2 or 3 times as much on a console, game + kit. and anyone who thinks that those games are a stepping stone to the real thing needs a reality check :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
think its more that ppl use that piece of plastic because they CANT learn how to play a real guitarr.

i mean, its infinately easier to smash buttons then there is to actually play that fast on a proper guitarr :)

if they really wanted to learn they would have bought one insted of spending 2 or 3 times as much on a console, game + kit. and anyone who thinks that those games are a stepping stone to the real thing needs a reality check :)

Ofcourse, or simply don't WANT to play one :D

They are a stepping stone though, NOTE: in a sense that they might get people interested.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Games like Guitar Hero is just an extension of air guitar with a gaming twist. I don't think it should be confused with people who have an inclination to learn to play guitar and make a go of it. This stuff is just lightweight fun that lights up people's imagination in a fun way that they can pick up for a few hours then forget about.

I think comparing and blaming games like Guitar Hero etc is specious logic. Playing real guitar and computerised air guitar are not related.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
So to all you "OMG GAMERZ GET OFF MAH GEETAR SKILLZ PLS" - by many accounts playing the drums on Rock Band/guitar hero: world tour etc will actually help you to learn the drums for real due to the rythym involved.

Where do you stand on that? Get a real drum kit? Piss off your neghbours instead.

It's almost laughable how zealously guitar players attack anything that even slightly resembles their niche. I bet you're just shit at it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
For the same amount of time i've spent in fallout 3, i could have learned spanish.

For the same amount of time i've spent in MMOs, i could have learned thermodynamics.

For the same amount of time Aoami learned the guitar, he could have learned first aid, german, how to cook a suffle or a number of other things.

For the same time he's played some rally game, he could have become a rally driver.

Why did he learn guitar? He wanted to do that and not the other stuff.
Why does someone play guitar hero? He wants to play guitar hero and not learn the guitar.

Thing is; no one is judging Aoami for learning the guitar, Aoami is judging others for playing guitar hero without any solid reason.

i can speak basic german, and cook a souffle, first aid can't be that difficult :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
So to all you "OMG GAMERZ GET OFF MAH GEETAR SKILLZ PLS" - by many accounts playing the drums on Rock Band/guitar hero: world tour etc will actually help you to learn the drums for real due to the rythym involved.

Where do you stand on that? Get a real drum kit? Piss off your neghbours instead.

It's almost laughable how zealously guitar players attack anything that even slightly resembles their niche. I bet you're just shit at it.

rhythm is not something you learn imo, it's something you have or you don't. Playing drums is also as much about stamina as it is about skill.

edit - also, for the record i have played guitar hero, one of my housemates had it last year, and my brother has it now. i played it, got bored with it quickly because there was no satisfaction in playing along to someone elses song by hitting a couple of buttons on a plastic controller shaped like a guitar. i can get my guitar, play along with the songs, add my own bits, play something random that i make up on the spot, and that is satisfying.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
i can speak basic german, and cook a souffle, first aid can't be that difficult :p

Yes, that was the point *pats head* :D

First aid isn't -that- easy though, atleast not something you can just poke about with. Worth taking a course on it, most excellent skill to have.

One thing though, you said that anyone can just pick up playing and shouldn't mess about with guitar hero, yet now you said rhytm is something you are born with. I think thus hast eine kleine contradiction there ;)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Yes, that was the point *pats head* :D

First aid isn't -that- easy though, atleast not something you can just poke about with. Worth taking a course on it, most excellent skill to have.

One thing though, you said that anyone can just pick up playing and shouldn't mess about with guitar hero, yet now you said rhytm is something you are born with. I think thus hast eine kleine contradiction there ;)

you don't really need much rhythm to play guitar tbh

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
rhythm is not something you learn imo, it's something you have or you don't. Playing drums is also as much about stamina as it is about skill.

edit - also, for the record i have played guitar hero, one of my housemates had it last year, and my brother has it now. i played it, got bored with it quickly because there was no satisfaction in playing along to someone elses song by hitting a couple of buttons on a plastic controller shaped like a guitar. i can get my guitar, play along with the songs, add my own bits, play something random that i make up on the spot, and that is satisfying.

Suppose it's a bit like pressing a bunch of plastic buttons on a level designed by someone else...you know boring shit like shoot, reload, jump.

Best put all your games in the bin

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Suppose it's a bit like pressing a bunch of plastic buttons on a level designed by someone else...you know boring shit like shoot, reload, jump.

Best put all your games in the bin

as i said earlier, the difference between an FPS and going and doing it for real is that theres much less risk of death if you're sat in a chair playing halo.

i've never seen anyone die as a result of playing real guitar.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Bill Wyman needs to go suck a fuck.

... and Aoami, of course you need rhythm to play a guitar, no matter how basic that sense of rhythm is.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
no, do you play guitar?

i have no rhythm at all, drums are completely beyond me, but i play guitar alright

it helps perhaps, but it's not essential

Actually played some drums, some guitar and bass for several years. Haven't now for ages, but hearing the beat, keeping in rhytm etc is very essential. It may seem trivial, but that's most likely 'cause you have it.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Aoami is getting pwneeeeeed. Don't do a Toht, just admit you're wrong and save everyone some time :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I SHALL NEVER SURRENDER

(but perhaps yes, you do need some level of rhythm to play guitar, but if you're not born with it, getting to grips with rhythm is probably the hardest thing about learning guitar)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Playing Guitar Hero may also help with playing real guitar. One of the difficulties people learning to play guitar have is a lack of both strength and coordination in their off-hand. If you were to play guitar hero in the way I think it was meant to be played, one finger on each button and your thumb placed behind the 'fretboard' then you will both strengthen the off hand fingers, particularly the lazy 4th finger, and encourage coordination of the digits.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
but learning guitar would also strengthen your fingers :p

i'm gonna shut up about this now

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
/necro

People(men) learn the guitar for one reason anyway, especially acoustic, to get poon. Anyone saying otherwise is a blatant liar :p

I've got poon. Have just started learining the guitar.

I'm pretty good at Guitar Hero and that definitely had a hand in my decision - but Brian May and Queen, Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd are much more influential than GH.

So - tips please - from the guitarists out there. I may even start a new thread for it just to contain them therein...

i've never seen anyone die as a result of playing real guitar.

My fingers *really* hurt :(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
dip your fingers in white spirit!

Build those calluses!

opticle

Part of the furniture
Jesus.

It's a fucking game, I've played it for a few hours and then I've lost interest - I'm glad I didn't buy a fucking guitar instead.

Even if I'd spent hundreds of hours playing it, it's a completely different experience to actually playing the guitar. You have to be an idiot to think there's any comparison. If I wanted to play the guitar instead, I'D FUCKING PLAY THE GUITAR.

Honestly it's a shit argument, people that say "ner ner I don't play that because I can actually play the guitar!!!111" are annoying killjoys and Toht's actually completely correct.

It takes a lot more time and a lot less instant, easy, pick up and play fun, especially with friends, to learn an instrument.

On topic, that's an idiotic news story - I'm pretty sure it's not stopping anyone playing an instrument. Hell, if I was a kid when it came out, I would have definitely made more effort to learn the guitar / drums as a result of playing the games.

They're also a bridge to creating software that teaches you to play the actual instruments.

Honestly, if you really believe your argument go become a rally driver and play more football outdoors, why waste your time playing the games when you could be further developing these skills ?!? People are born with a natural aptitude / disaptitude for things, but 75% of it is the work you put in - including sports - so get to it! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom