What do you guys think?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There might be a point in "less people will pick up a real guitar", but then again on the flipside more people might pick up a guitar due to the game also. Might balance out in the end.

The thing is, at the end of day, it's a game.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Indeed! And rock stars should just piss off and do what ever they do and stop meddling with things they know nothing about

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually, I think they've got a point.

I'd be shit hot at the piano now if it wasn't for computer games. But what I do know is that come the zombie apocalypse I'm gonna fucking ROCK. :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
guitar hero is the gayest thing ever invented. i enjoy watching my little brother play it and sitting their playing the songs on my real guitar.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
guitar hero is the gayest thing ever invented. i enjoy watching my little brother play it and sitting their playing the songs on my real guitar.

I hate these kind of people; "Ooh but i know how to play a REEEEAL guitar mew mew!"

It's a game! :eek:

Ok, maybe that was a bit uncalled for.

What i meant to say is;

Signed a record deal yet? :D

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Most people play an instrument for the self gratification, not because they all want record deals or to be a rock star.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Most people play an instrument for the self gratification, not because they all want record deals or to be a rock star.

And most people play guitar hero for gaming fun, not because they want to learn to play guitar ;)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I hate these kind of people; "Ooh but i know how to play a REEEEAL guitar mew mew!"

It's a game! :eek:

Ok, maybe that was a bit uncalled for.

What i meant to say is;

Signed a record deal yet? :D

i play guitar for a bit of fun, it's a hobby. maybe you should get one you stupid ****.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
no.

just no.

why learn how to play a computer game when you can learn to do the real thing?

games like CoD 4, you play it because you like to shoot shit up without risking death, which is fair enough.

guitar hero, simulating playing a guitar when you can buy a real one for the same price? lol. by learning guitar i've learnt a skill, and also used the knowledge i've gained to teach myself mandolin and a bit of piano. what do you learn from guitar hero? if you get more satisfaction from getting 100,000 points on guitar queero rather than nailing the solo from free bird on a proper guitar then you need to be less of a twat.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
no.

just no.

why learn how to play a computer game when you can learn to do the real thing?

games like CoD 4, you play it because you like to shoot shit up without risking death, which is fair enough.

guitar hero, simulating playing a guitar when you can buy a real one for the same price? lol. by learning guitar i've learnt a skill, and also used the knowledge i've gained to teach myself mandolin and a bit of piano. what do you learn from guitar hero? if you get more satisfaction from getting 100,000 points on guitar queero rather than nailing the solo from free bird on a proper guitar then you need to be less of a twat.

Why learn to do the real thing when you can do it on a computer game?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
i have an issue with computer games that simulate something so easily accessible

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

And this skill has given you what?

Satisfaction?
Sense of accomplishment?
Fun times?

Tadaa! Guitar hero!

If you don't use the skill for anything, it's as useful to know dragonforce on expert, then it is to know how to play freebird. Though the guitar hero expert dragonforce is more impressive :p

Only that with gutiar hero you can start plonking away, sound like crap, know nothing AND have fun with friends.

Play freebird like crap to your friends on a regular guitar and you get ridiculed.

i have an issue with computer games that simulate something so easily accessible

By your logic, why not start playing football instead of watchng it on TV/ playing fifa?

dysfunction

FH is my second home

I can drive a car. Thats a skill I have learnt
I also quite enjoy a driving games...

I don't want some nosey rally car driver telling me it's ruining the rally car driving industry...

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved

By virtue of the fact you think Guitar Hero is a simulation means you've misinterpreted it's intentions.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I can drive a car. Thats a skill I have learnt
I also quite enjoy a driving games...

I don't want some nosey rally car driver telling me it's ruining the rally car driving industry...

but do you have access to top of the range cars and nice tracks?

with regards to the football comment, i do play football as well as pro, but i'm not talented enough to be a proffessional. Skill on a guitar is something that can be learnt, sporting prowess is something you're born with.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

No but I doubt you would be buying top of the range Guitars...

Skill on a guitar is something that can be learnt, sporting prowess is something you're born with.

Yeah right! Not everyone has music ability! Its a big struggle for some people to read music, get their fingers in the right places for the chords etc...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
with regards to the football comment, i do play football as well as pro, but i'm not talented enough to be a proffessional. Skill on a guitar is something that can be learnt, sporting prowess is something you're born with.

Everyone can't learn musical talents. You're as much born with it.

Do you have access to stages and 100k people venues to play freebird?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
no, but i could if i worked hard enough for it. but i don't want to, i'm happy just playing guitar as a hobby and playing a few songs for friends every now and again. A few times i've gone down to open mic nights at my local pub with my guitar and had a jam with a few people and played some songs for the people in the pub, and it's a great experience, and not one you can have with a game controller ;)

there's no point arguing on this topic, because it's one of a few instances where i will never take other people's opinions seriously.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
<snip>
there's no point arguing on this topic</snip>

You get there in the end ;) but not for the reasons you stipulate, by all accounts learning the real guitar and playing guitar hero are completely different. So trying to compare them is pointless.

It's like comparing Tetris to construction.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I was at a big camping get together last weekend. A guitar was laying around and a few people wanted someone to play it, someone commented if they get them a copy of guitar hero, and xbox and a tv and generator then he could play whatever you like (or whatever songs the game has)

Then someone else said something a long the same lines as Aoami; why dont you just spend the same time learning to play guitar because it actually provides some use? He then proceeded to play the guitar all night long to about 50 very happy hippy campers.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
no, but i could if i worked hard enough for it. but i don't want to, i'm happy just playing guitar as a hobby and playing a few songs for friends every now and again. A few times i've gone down to open mic nights at my local pub with my guitar and had a jam with a few people and played some songs for the people in the pub, and it's a great experience, and not one you can have with a game controller ;)

there's no point arguing on this topic, because it's one of a few instances where i will never take other people's opinions seriously.

Ever been to a guitar hero contest? :D

You CAN have a similar experience.

Playing the real guitar is different from playing guitar hero, just as i stated in the beginning, it's a game ;)

Then someone else said something a long the same lines as Aoami; why dont you just spend the same time learning to play guitar because it actually provides some use? He then proceeded to play the guitar all night long to about 50 very happy hippy campers.

So a guy, who has guitar hero, should learn the guitar just so that if there's one event in which there's a guitar, he could play it to entertain OTHER people? No. If someone wants to play the guitar and spend time/money learning it, they should, and those who want to have some random fun on the xbox should do that. Different strokes.

People(men) learn the guitar for one reason anyway, especially acoustic, to get poon. Anyone saying otherwise is a blatant liar :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Exactly, it's just a game. It provides no real productive function. Ask anyone who can play both guitar and guitar hero at a decent level and they'll all tell you playing a real guitar is both more rewarding, more fun and more useful.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Exactly, it's just a game. It provides no real productive function. Ask anyone who can play both guitar and guitar hero at a decent level and they'll all tell you playing a real guitar is both more rewarding, more fun and more useful.

There's the function of "entertainment". Spending time. Socializing. etc.

It's a game.

Simple as that.

Games aren't meant to be productive(unless we're talking zombie games). As such, guitar hero ain't meant to be productive either.

Someone saying "Mew mew, it's not like playing a REAL guitar" is like a jetpilot coming to mock you for playing ace combat.

Though someone SHOULD come mock you for playing ace combat anyway :D

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Yes because they are two different experiences! But they are no more fun than the other! How hard is it to understand that you can actually do both!

I play CS:S and I can go out and play airsoft and have just as much fun with both...or I can play an Olympics video game and do some real running, swimming, target shooting etc and have equal fun with those....

If you want to learn a skill do the real thing. If you want to relax and play video games then do so.

I don't think anyone should be criticised for having harmless fun playing a computer game...

megadave

I am a FH squatter
The point he is making is that for the same investment of time and money as guitar queero, you can learn guitar.

Can the same be said for counter strike? Ace combat? Tetris? Any of the other crap examples? Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom