What are you reading atm?

T

Testin da Cable

finished "Noble House" last night. must find something new....

M

Munkey-

Just finished Use of Weapons again.

One of my favourite books ever, clever plot and a spectacular twist of which you had no idea.

The use of language is also extremley clever......

Now for Look to Windward again (not one of his better ones but still worth a read)

W

wolfeeh

omg such lies

clearly look to windward is the best culture book after excession! or on par with excession maybe :p

B

bodhi

The idea of wolfeeh reading books does not compute.

X

xane

I go for Use of Weapons as my favourite Culture novel, although Player of Games is good too, not so Culture-ish although set in the same universe.

Yes, newspeak was what I was referring to in 1984, not so much removing all the emotional words but just all the redundant ones, i.e. why have big, large, huge, enormous, gigantic, collossal, etc, when you have big, plus big, double-plus big, etc. It was the only language where the dictionary gets smaller every year !

1984 also contains a book-within-a-book, the one Winston is given by the shop keeper that describes the cycle of revolutionary regeimes.

T

throdgrain

Ive just begun reading what looks like a very interesting biography of Lord Cochrane, and anyone here who can tell me who he is gets a gold star .

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Munkey-
Just finished Use of Weapons again.

One of my favourite books ever, clever plot and a spectacular twist of which you had no idea.

I thought UoW was utter shite. The whole book revolved soley around that twist

O

old.D0LLySh33p

If anyone wants a good book to while away the hours try "The Vintner's Luck".

Is good one!

B

bodhi

I'm currently reading Organisational Change : A Sociological Perspective by some dude called Collins. It's about as interesting as books get.

U

-Ultimate

Just started The Stand by Steven King, just finished Bloodwars by Brian Lumley.

L

leggy

The stand is the most boring book written.

Stephen King has a talent in puting people to sleep with immensly boring descriptions.

T

Trem

Oh my god, someone who agrees with me about King, I always prefered Richard Laymon for a good, fast paced horror. Read One Rainy Night by him.

L

~Lazarus~

Deathworld (trilogy) by Harry Harrison.

(give me a break - library had sod all else)

M

Munkey-

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass

I thought UoW was utter shite. The whole book revolved soley around that twist

Reading it throught for the fifth time I still think its one of the best books, purely because of the way the story is constructed and I live for the clever use of english :)

Currently reading:

Tom Clancy - The Bear and The Dragon (one of my favourites)

U

-Ultimate

Originally posted by leggy

Stephen King has a talent in puting people to sleep with immensly boring descriptions.

I've liked Stephen King for many years. I have went off him though as i've found a lot of his later books rather boring. My favourite book is still 'IT' by him, as well as the short story 'The Long Walk'. I did very much enjoy 'Black House', the 2nd collaboration between King and Straub, in fact its the first King book in a while i have enjoyed when i think about it.

Its all down to personal taste really, i don't find any of his earlier books boring at all. :)

L

leggy

I read a lot of his early books when I was younger and liked them... i just kinda went off him :)

L

~Lazarus~

I read a lot of his early books when I was younger and liked them... i just kinda went off him :)

Ditto.

Salems Lot
Carrie
Christine
IT....

all good books.

Rose Madder.
and toher crap ones I cant remember. Wasted alot of time reading Drivel.

E

ECA

Kinda like tolkien then?

K

Kempo

country of the blind by christopher brookmyre

really getting into his books just now :)

H

hoggsboss

Originally posted by nath
stupid white men, michael moore.

any good? was thinking of ordering it.

last read book was michael j fox's biography - lucky man

anyone into crime books i would recommend val mcdermids books which ITV just remade with that twat robson green, series didnt really do justice to the books.

and also tim willocks - green river rising

S

Summo

I couldn't be arsed to read it all. Some interesting observations, but not being an American by passion for it waived. :/

G

granny

Just finished Lord of the Rings and just started Fury by Salman Rushdie. Never read anything by him and after LotR I wanted something written *well*, something by a proper wordsmith.

Harping back to the Iain M Banks bits of this thread I think I liked Consider Phlebas best.

L

leggy

Bryan Sykes : The Seven Daughters of Eve.

A bloody good theory of DNA and our genetic ancestors.

P

projectarnold

Just started Moby Dick yesterday for research purposes intending to skim the most imortant chapters and am actually finding myself enjoying it, not as boring or long winded as I thought it was going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread