What are you currently reading ?

G

gengi

Generic,
What do you like, hard sci-fi well most stuff by David Brin, Larry Niven, the Niven Barnes Pournelle collaborations, Ben Bova, from an environmental pespective Kim Stanley Robinsons Mar's books are good.
For light entertaining stuff, Terry Pratchet, Tom Holt and one of my favourites Robert Rankin.
Fantasy most of the good ones already mentioned, I did read The Clash of Kings, hope the next one is as good, a bit real politik for most fantasy novels, you can actually imagine the 'heroes' being killed by the baddies or even there own :) Terry Brooks I quite like, The Magic Kingdom books are fun to read The Shannara ones have a little bit of an edge, good reading too.
Heinlein, if you have not already read Stranger in a Strange Land, I would reccomend that and Job: A Comedy of Justice. Just about all he wrote is good.
Its hard to do this from memory i need to go home and look at the book shelves :D

Gengee

O

osy

<coughs>

on topic: James Clavell - The Noble House.

S

Sibanac

Just finished rereading the Foundation serries.
Next in que is Hitchhickers guide to the galaxy

G

Gombur_II

Lots of books espcially pratchett but usually also new age, spiritual books.
Yes, I'm somewhat of a hippie.

K

Kobold

I don't read books anymore, I usually just read stuff on the monitor like forms :p

Sometimes read cartoon magazines like "Pondus" (he pwnz) and "Nemi"

O

old.LandShark

Just finished an ickle Philip K. Dick book, the Map Who Japed.
Finally found my English copy of God-Emperor of Dune so I'm re-reading the whole series. Although I speak french naturally i still hate reading translated sci-fi, for some reason. Can't find a reason i just can't get into it.

A

Arnor

Im re-reading all my pratchett discworld books in wait of a new one.(Love just opening one and start reading somewhere)

oh, and re-reading LOTR, havent read it in like 8yrs :eek:

S

Slinker

The voyage of the Jerle Shannara by terry brooks

X

Xtro

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Just finished an ickle Philip K. Dick book, the Map Who Japed.

I've never heard of that one Landshark. Any good?

O

old.The McScrooges

I'm rereading Fevre Dream by George Martin. I useful guide for Toreador Elders...

T

trigali

Originally posted by gengi
I just finished Fools Errand by Robin Hobb, The Fandom of the Operator by Robert Rankin and Nothing but Blue Skies by Tom Holt. Next up will be A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin followed by Jupiter by Ben Bova, also in the near future the sequel to ACcavern Of Black Ice and the next Terry Goodkind installment of the Wizards First Rule Series, Pillars Of Fire ?

Oh and the odd post by me the wanna be fucktard

:clap:

Gengi, if you've read the Mars books by B.Bova, don't bother with Jupiter and Venus: they are exactly the same scenario, hugely disappointing. The man's lost his touch, I think.

K

katzeyez

I highly recommend the Tad Williams books, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a brilliant trilogy.

One name that hasn't been mentioned is Steven Erikson, with the Malazon Book of the Fallen, up to number 4 now and loved every one of them. The series that has not been released in the USA because they don't think they are clever enough to understand it. I kid you not!

S

Sortbane

Hmm..

Currently reading "Soul Mountain" by Gao Xingjian, and before that Erlend Loe's "Super.Naiv.".. Planning to start with Dante's Inferno after I've read Soul Mountain, got hold of it in english a couple of days ago ;)

disclaimer - I usually read fiction and fantasy, but the more philosophical books are really good also :)

Hmm.. anyone here with a top 10 list of books? :)

S

ShiShi

just finished "The Longest Day" by C. Ryan
and playing Close Combat V

S.

C

cadiva

The Once and Future King by T H White (the complete edition with book 5).

One of the best tellings of the whole Arthurian saga going for you chaps who want to know a bit more about the myths surrounding Dark Age of Camelot's Albion lands.

Also the first book (The Sword in the Stone) was the basis for Disney's animated film of the same name but don't let that put you off ;)

S

Spinky

The Silmarillion

then neuromancer or dune, then the other one i didn't read \o/

Then need more books to read :(

B

Belsameth

Cadiva: excelent choice!
probably the best Arthur story I ever read. filled with light hearted humour, without distracting from the tragedy of the story. really one to sit down with and not get up anymore till you're finished.

personally I'm reading David Edding's The Tamuli (again...)

T

talen_sun

This week I have mostly been reading

"City of Angels" by White Wolf Publishing. It's a sourcebook for Demon:The Fallen...

Lucifer kicks ASS!!

S

Slinker

Read the last one since posting , now reading book two .

the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara - Antrax

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Belsameth
Cadiva: excelent choice!
probably the best Arthur story I ever read. filled with light hearted humour, without distracting from the tragedy of the story. really one to sit down with and not get up anymore till you're finished.

Have you read the Bernard Cornwell ones? very dark and gritty - Arthur as a Briton warlord fighting against the invading Saxons.

Very good spin on it.

Currently reading The Otherland Series (part 3) can't remember it's name :) (only just started it) by Tad Williams.

If we want to escape the olde sword and sorcery fantasy theme (otherland's not really that... but kinda) - anything by Jeff Noon is good... Philip K. Dick's short stories are superb - can't remember which collection has "Do androids dream of electric sheep" and "We can remember it for you wholesale" (if they're even in the same collection - I read a lot of Philip K. Dick stuff once upon a time).
Obviously they're the more famous ones (being turned into Bladerunner and Total Recall respectively. But the short stories they came from are not only shorter but far more poignant in my opinion.
The rest of his short story stuff is classic too :)

Another short I really like is "Flowers for Algernon"
Edit: by Daniel Keyes (thanks google)

G

Gog

Originally posted by Generic Poster

I assume you're read A Game of Thrones, which is the first book. That is the best fantasy series I've read, would recommend it to anyone. Cannot wait for the fourth book either, out in Sept :mad:

Its called A Feast for Crows and I preordered it from Amazon on 2 May 2002:mad: Certainly one of the best series I have read in a long time.

Currently reading 'So long.....and thanks for all the fish' for the fourth time.

I need a new book for when I go on holiday so if anyone has any suggestions (preferably in the fantasy genre) please tell. I have had The Dragonbone Chair for many years now but never got round to reading it. Worth taking it on a 9 hour flight?

A

Anu

Read the Rivan Codex.. part of the belgriad series erm david gemmal isn't it? or david eddings

Also any book by Anne McCaffrey <------- not notch SF writer.

I'm atm reading "Waylander II" by David Gemmel or al umm anyways v good books for Fiction based onancient history,

Some of my fav Authors.

Anne McCaffrey
David Eddings (his wife Leigh also write's good stuff afaik)
Raymond E Fiest
David Gemmel

C

cadiva

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
Have you read the Bernard Cornwell ones? very dark and gritty - Arthur as a Briton warlord fighting against the invading Saxons.

You could also try the Mists of Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley for the whole saga from a female perspective and an insight into the worship of the Mother Goddess/Druids etc.
Begins with Mists of Avalon, then The Forest House, The Lady of Avalon and Priestess of Avalon (although the last three are prequels to the first, they should be read after MOA).

And Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon series - absolutely awesome and along the lines of the Bernard Cornwell ones - Saxon history, Celtic myth and Briton legends all rolled into one with a little bit of Post-Romano Britain thrown in.

First book is Taliesin (tells the whole Atlantis myth), Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon, Grail (in that order).

Of course, the daddy of all Arthur tales is Malory's Le Mort d'Arthur, but it's exceedingly long and very very thick and is more a history book in its style with lots of short episodes, than a storybook.
Jolly nice books.

Incidently, after I've finished The Once and Future King, I shall be moving swiftly on to a boatload of DragonLance and Forgotten Realms books that arrived on me doorstep from those lovely chaps at Amazon.
Inbetween times I'm reading a biography on Billie Holiday by Stuart Nicholson which is exceedingly good if you like top quality jazz like wot I do ;)

F

Flimgoblin

evil cadiva!

I've filled me basket on amazon now :(

A

Aileanara

Currently taking a break from my usual Fantasy (Tolkien, Eddings etc) stuff and reading Interview with vampire (Anne Rice)
Same time on and off with various world Mythology books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom