What are you currently reading ?

O

old.Gombur Glodson

I am currently reading all the spam made by utter fucktards.

B

Belsameth

while we're at it.
I'm reading Gomburs comment about all the spam made by utter fucktards...

when not reading that, I'm reading The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb

G

gengi

I just finished Fools Errand by Robin Hobb, The Fandom of the Operator by Robert Rankin and Nothing but Blue Skies by Tom Holt. Next up will be A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin followed by Jupiter by Ben Bova, also in the near future the sequel to ACcavern Of Black Ice and the next Terry Goodkind installment of the Wizards First Rule Series, Pillars Of Fire ?

Oh and the odd post by me the wanna be fucktard

:clap:

F

Flimgoblin

just finished Excalibur by Bernard Cornwell

currently on Otherland by Tad Williams.

May at some point get round to my new (well christmas pressie) Jeff Noon book or possibly the Dilbert Way of the Weasel.

J

Jiggs

just read the mini-book 'Paranoid in the Laundrette' by Bruce Robinson. Made me laugh so much i bought his novel: 'The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman' which i am now reading.

the book i just finished was Espedair Street By Iain Banks (probably my favourite author)

(ps Bruce Robinson is the guy who wrote killing fields & withnail & i)

X

Xtro

Saddam Explained by Al Aqbarish Muhaazzard

Frightening book.

A

Addlcove

Just Finished "The Mallorean" and "The Belgariad" so I'mm gonne start reading "The Elenium" and "The Tamuli" next ;)

update incomming when I'm done (in a couple of days, unemployment has its good sides ;))

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

"Sharpe's Trafalgar" by Bernard Cornwell. *wubs the Sharpe series*

... oh and the bullcrap that is posted on these forums...
*goes to get The Great Mutato to nerf Octanion's 3-page signature*

O

old.Tohtori

Read? You mean books? Ridicilous.

I am currently reading the word word which is behind the word word. See? Thought so. So let me explain. In the first line i checked that the word "word" is written correctly and not, as an example, wrod. Wrdo would be wrong so i had to check, and when answering in my writing, what i was reading, it was the word "word". Now i don't mean the second word "word" but the very first word "word". Because i meant the word "word" i wrote first and not the word indicating to the word "word" i was reading.

Now this is quite simple but if you did not get me, let me illustrate with a quote to show what word i meant. Here is the line unedited:

I am currently reading the word word

And now, let's highlight the word i meant i was reading.

I am currently reading the word word.

Now it should be clear to all what i was reading at the time i answered the question.

*bows*

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Addlcove
Just Finished "The Mallorean" and "The Belgariad" so I'mm gonne start reading "The Elenium" and "The Tamuli" next ;)

update incomming when I'm done (in a couple of days, unemployment has its good sides ;))

The Elenium and The Tamuli are FAR superiour to the whole Begariad serie. even tho a lot of things are surprisingly similar. I've read them both 4 or 5 times now and each and every time I loved them :)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Belsameth

The Elenium and The Tamuli are FAR superiour to the whole Begariad serie. even tho a lot of things are surprisingly similar. I've read them both 4 or 5 times now and each and every time I loved them :)

Let me guess... it's all about death and decay?:p

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Belsameth

1. even tho a lot of things are surprisingly similar.

2. I've read them both 4 or 5 times now and each and every time I loved them :)

1. Orb of aldur/Bhelliom - Silk/Stragen - Velvet/Melidere

2. same here ;)

B

Belsameth

he writes according to a formula (he said so himself in an interview) which can clearly be seen throughout his work. his latest scribling is even worse. you can REALLY draw a direct line from the various Elenium characters to thatone (forgot the title even :p )

F

Flimgoblin

it gets a bit samey after a while :)

Not sure I could read any more Eddings - although I really liked the Belgariad when I read it umpteen years ago... the Mallorean felt a bit like Monty Haul gaming... but was still quite good.

Would recommend Tad Williams's the dragonbone chair if you've not read it yet.

J

Jiggs

heh alot of fantasy lit here

not really my bag tbh though :p

btw if you read this gengi what is stand on zanzibar like?

i have got it and tried to read it a few times but never really managed to get into it

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Flimgoblin

Would recommend Tad Williams's the dragonbone chair if you've not read it yet.

Teh Goblin has taste! :D

O

old.Hendrick

Sharpe's Rifles by Bernard Cornwell, and For whom the Bell tolls by Hemingway. First one is more fun though ;)

O

old.tRoG

Spot the dog. After that it will be Nellie the Elephant, and, then, if I'm up to the challenge, The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch.

HeeHee! It's so funny when the seagul flies along and steals his lunch! And then his wife puts the cat in to basket! And, then....

I won't spoil the book.

P

Pixie.Pebr

"The Crusades from an Arab point of view" by Amin Malouf
(not sure title is correct, reading it in Swedish...)

The general story and some specific events that took place during the First Crusade, as documented by Arabian scholars and historians that lived during that time.
Very interesting to see the other sides view of it all, gives some perspective to the "heroes" one read about in school...

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by old.Hendrick
Sharpe's Rifles by Bernard Cornwell, and For whom the Bell tolls by Hemingway. First one is more fun though ;)

I read for whom the bell tolls last summer (on holiday in spain) just after catcher in the rye(which I think I may have to read again.). I'd recommend the dubliners and most of Joyces work (but be warned its not easy reading :/).

At the moment I'm reading the white hotel by Dylan Thomas which is a bit bizarre. Also, just to keep up with the joneses, I'm reading Book 9 of the Wheel of time series(Robert Jordan).

I'm also really looking forward to the new harry potter book (I got into reading harry potter after Portrait of the artist as a young man - James Joyce got a bit 'too much'.)

G

gengi

Jiggs,
Stand On Zanzibar is not bad takes a while to get into, but the premise is very good. I read The Sheep Look Up a few years ago its a much shorter book, set in about the same time, maybe that got me used to the style. Tad Williams is good too, read all of his even Tailchaser's Song, the Otherland Series was heavy going but worth it. Iain Banks read a few of those Whit, and The Business spring to mind, read all the Iain M Banks, Use of Weapons, Consider Phlebas, Excession etc the culture novels are very good, always fancied Espedair Street just never got round to buying it. Eddings is ok read them all bar the new series and Polgara the Sorcerous. Wheel of Time I gave up about book 5, I was getting fed up of wading through 950 pages to read 100 at the end that told the whole story, there is character development and there is character development :)

gengee

G

Generic Poster

Originally posted by gengi
Next up will be A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin...

I assume you're read A Game of Thrones, which is the first book. That is the best fantasy series I've read, would recommend it to anyone. Cannot wait for the fourth book either, out in Sept :mad:

P.S. could people say if the books they've read are good or not... just saying names isn't helping much, and I need to find something soon as I'm getting bored of Culture novels ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom