Wha....

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The scrolling bar clicky bug with the latest IE, well I'll be buggered if it hasn't fixed itself!

Are microsoft haxxing my computer?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Anyway, how do I delete files from my ftp, using the IE ftp interface? I can copy to and from the folder, and do other stuff, but not actually modify the files in any way.

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
Do you have permission to modify the files?

I've uploaded/delted files through IE before.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yes, its my own personal space on my NTL domain. I have to login via IE before I can do stuff.

BTW, this forum the scrollbars work fine, every other website they don't. Bizarre.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
My suggestions to you, Tom, are these:

Don't use IE for browsing - get your hands on Mozilla Firebird. It really is a much better browser, especially in terms of standards compliance.

Also, don't use IE for FTP access - you're going to get considerably more by way of features and stability from a dedicated FTP client. My personal preference is SmartFTP, but there are tons of them out there.

In short, don't use IE. I avoid it wherever possible, except when someone who shall remain unnamed bases their mail server around it. :(

Anul

Fledgling Freddie
I use Mozilla firebird myself and i can highly recommend it :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
*Jonty wonders if Firebird includes subliminal 'you must promote Firebird' messages in the program*

hehe. In fairness, I switched to Firebird a while back and have been very happy ever since v0.7, and have often ended up promoting it too. With any luck, we'll have v0.8 before Christmas, although the release candidate has slipped, so the final release will probably be delayed :(

What should be interesting (this is going way off-topic, sorry) is how Microsoft will respond. Pop-up blocking is definitely in IE6 SP2, and rumours exist that hint tabbed browsing and the more standards-compliant Tasman engine (think IE5 Mac) may be included too. If this was the case, then Mozilla's user base would at very least slow in growth.

Anyway, back on topic, the scrollbar bug should hopefully be officially patched sometime soon (probably via an indirect update to IE released in the new year).

Kind Regards

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
*Jonty wonders if Firebird includes subliminal 'you must promote Firebird' messages in the program*

hehe. In fairness, I switched to Firebird a while back and have been very happy ever since v0.7, and have often ended up promoting it too. With any luck, we'll have v0.8 before Christmas, although the release candidate has slipped, so the final release will probably be delayed :(

What should be interesting (this is going way off-topic, sorry) is how Microsoft will respond. Pop-up blocking is definitely in IE6 SP2, and rumours exist that hint tabbed browsing and the more standards-compliant Tasman engine (think IE5 Mac) may be included too. If this was the case, then Mozilla's user base would at very least slow in growth.

Anyway, back on topic, the scrollbar bug should hopefully be officially patched sometime soon (probably via an indirect update to IE released in the new year).

Kind Regards
before christmas? As in within the next 2 days?

\o/

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
before christmas? As in within the next 2 days? \o/
That was the idea, yes :) However, having rechecked matters, it does seem delays have slipped in. Ben Goodger (Firebird developer) now predicts a release candidate prior to 2004, with the final release in the first week of the new year.

The major features of the new build are:

• Binary files will no longer be rendered as 'text/html'; thus audio, video etc. will load in players or be downloaded (the user will be prompted) rather then be outputted as garbled text in the browser.
  • No more .zip files! Firebird now comes with an executable installer.
  • Various other improvements and bugs addressed.

If you want the latest builds, check out http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firebird/nightly/latest-0.8/ and be sure to visit http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/roadmap.html for the Firebird roadmap.

Kind Regards

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Jonty said:

Kind Regards

Strange though, that the scrollbars work perfectly on this website, but not on any others?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Strange though, that the scrollbars work perfectly on this website, but not on any others?
Yeah, very strange indeed. I'm tempted to make a quip about Microsoft coding, but I think they do the best they can in a very difficult situation :) Still, I hope it all gets sorted for you soon, Tom :)

Merry Christmas

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Out of interest, has anyone used Firebird to run Windows Update yet ?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
is that even possible?

If it is, then it's possibly possible to get OWA under Exchange 2003 running properly in firebird too!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
Out of interest, has anyone used Firebird to run Windows Update yet ?
No, sadly it's not currently possible. Microsoft use a combination of special coding techniques and ActiveX (I think) scripts to power the WindowsUpdate site (and the new WindowsUpdate v5 site which is currently being beta tested, I believe). There may be some people working on a solution for Mozilla-proper, but I'm fairly sure I just imagined that, as the more I think about it the harder it would be to get everything to function correctly.

Kind Regards

Jonty

Edit ~ Having checked, it seems there is no such Mozilla support, nor does it look likely I'm afraid.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
/pimp firebird for teh win!

Seriously solid browser, and so much more intuitive than IE -which is saying a lot as IE is very easy to use.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
tRoG said:
What does Firebird have over Mozilla?
Hello :)

Check out the following page for details: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ This provides a brief overview of Firebird's benefits. Also, note that Mozilla-proper is a whole suite of utilities - web browser, email client, IRC client and much more - whereas Firebird is 'just' a standalone browser.

Kind Regards

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
in short:

firebird > everything else

well, until IE6 SP2, and the download manager in IE6 on Longhorn is tres spinkeh too :) but they're due Q3 2004 :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom