Well i finaly got the game.

Bloodvayne

Fledgling Freddie
/who is /sea in FFXI but that will only search the area you are currently in (ie Windurst Port) There is an area search command in the main menu. Search -> Area -> Windurst Woods (for example) will pull up a full list of people in Windurst Woods.

For the controls I use keyboard only (I haven't modified the controls at all) I move about using the numpad and control the camera with the arrow keys. I use the Enter key on the numpad to target, then I use Tab to choose my target (if it's auto-targetted th wrong mob) then once I've got the right mob I press enter again to bring up the combat menu (I know this sounds long winded but once yer used to it, it barely takes a matter of moments), use arrow keys to check my target then enter one last time with attack selected to fight (you don't have to be next to the target to attack, just close enough for the game to lock you onto it) then just run after the mob until you're close enough to hit it.
Enter->Tab through targets->Enter for combat menu->check->attack

I believe controls can be changed in the main menu (I think the option is config, but don't hold me to that)

As for the ctrl/alt shortcuts, these are your macros. A detailed guide to these and making them can be found at GameFAQS.

Hope this helps you, if you have more questions just send Bloodvayne a /tell ingame.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Righty. Seems you dont' want to take the time to read the manual ( you really, really should btw :touch: ) so I'll give some answers here. :fluffle:

Shy:

"I can't do /who - how do I find out whos online? "

/sea [options]

i.e. /sea all Sibanac would search for every character named Sibanac in all known regions.

"The controls are really awkward and I'm finding it quite hard to run, target a mob and attack it fast enough before it runs away. I read something about shortcuts with the alt or ctrl keys - can anyone explain how I do that please?"

Tip number one, and this is no joke. Let go of the mouse.
Come on, I know you can do it. Just let it go.

Don't be shy (pun!), just... let it go...

There, wasn't that hard, was it? :) ( hands off! :twak: )

Now, to target stuff you can use:

TAB-key or 0 on numerical keypad: Will cycle through targets in your field of view. ( players as well as monsters ).

F8 - closest enemy.

F1-F6, your party members. ( don't worry about alliance members until later )

You can and should start to look at macros once you have the basic controls down. They will help you a great deal and are close to essential later on for proper groupage.

"Cons? Everything I target seems yellow, and when I lock onto the target it's red. So how do I know I can kill it or if it will kick my ass before I go ahead and attack it?"

Like Sibanac said, it's under Check. Shortcut for this is as follows:

ALT-C(heck)

Other useful shortcuts can be CTRL-A(ttack), CTRL-G(ive up) - this calls for help so other players can attack the enemy, etc. ( don't think it matters wether you use ALT or CTRL as long as you use one of them )

Don't get pissed off at people for not helping if you didn't Give Up. They simply can't unless they can heal you in any way. Giving up forsakes any exp you would have gained from the monster.

Sibanac:
"A question from me aswell, how do i use w-a-s-d to move ?"

If you're sure you want to do this ( might seem easier at first, but the standard controls are really sweet once you have proper hand placement etc ) - but anyway, that's just my opinion.

Right, you change keyboard setup to Compact from the config menu. ( Accessed by pressing - twice on the numerical keypad ). You can then change some keys into almost what you want. Give it a try if you want.

If any of this was unclear, please let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Oh, I forgot to add.

Con-levels.

"(bla bla is tough or bla bla is a challenge ...)"

ranked from hardest to easiest.

Incredibly Tough
Very Tough
Tough
Even Match
Decent Challenge
Easy
To Weak to be Worthwhile.

Even Match will always give 100 exp ( when you solo, apart from exp chains, but that's a later story ), but will probably lead to long downtime for you.

Decent Challenge will always give 50 - 72 exp - generally considered the best target to fight for most classes. ( unless ofc you can handle higher with ease ).

To Weak will not grant you any exp or crystals, some drops still though if you must have them :p

Don't even consider higher than Even Match without using 2hour ability before you're starting to group, unless you're twinked.

Hope that helps :)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Right, you change keyboard setup to Compact from the config menu. ( Accessed by pressing - twice on the numerical keypad ). You can then change some keys into almost what you want. Give it a try if you want.

If any of this was unclear, please let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Was looking in that menu last night, must have been a spot of blindness on my side.
I've been using w-a-s-d since quake on or so, its a hard habbit to kick :)
But if you say iots better I'll try.
Did see on the official ffxi site it suported some gamepads, i might look into that.

Anyway thanks for all the info

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Thank you Whisperess, that helps loads. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, like any new game :)

I did read the manual when I first bought game, but that was over a month ago now, and it was so huge and complicated I didn't want to look at it again :(

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Oh whats that linkshell thing, is that kinde like a guild ?
and if so can you guys invite me ? I am verry hard working 'onest guv

Rhyna

Loyal Freddie
Yep, linkshell is similar to guild.
You get a pearl that you equip to talk in the linkshell group and can also change them as you like, making up for switching between "chatgroups". Not using that particular feature myself though, as i got my first pearl at L21 and only one im planning on having :p

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
Linkshells are just guild/clans. They are great and very helpful.

I wouldnt have got this far without Aurora tbh :p

Bothering them with all my questions ^^

oh, and nerf Whisperess spam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom