Welcome home lag

soze

I am a FH squatter
Opentransit migh be abit like BT in the UK and own the back bone? so whoever GOA use it gose through Opentansits network ect. I might be wrong but i think thats how it works.

Hellspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Just one thing people might like to know about pingplotter - when you get several hops showing packetloss/bad ping one after the other it is QUITE OFTEN the hop prior to the packetloss/bad ping that is the problem, so keep this in mind when checking out where the problems are.

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Hellspawn said:
Just one thing people might like to know about pingplotter - when you get several hops showing packetloss/bad ping one after the other it is QUITE OFTEN the hop prior to the packetloss/bad ping that is the problem, so keep this in mind when checking out where the problems are.

:worthy:

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
But that's just it. You probably are coming through the same routers. When you connect to a server a long way away, you go first through a series of small local/regional hubs to get to an international hub, then you bounce through international hubs till you're reasonably local to the server you're trying to reach then you'll go through some smaller hubs to get to the server. For anyone connecting to the servers from a long distance, no matter from where, the last 4-8 hops are likely to be very close if not identical.

As of this morning we think the problem has been located and we are working to get it fixed. Unfortunately it isn't in our network. I say unfortunately because if it was we could just fix it ourselves. As it is we have to prod the company involved to do so.

Ty for the update requiel, good explenation to the layman there too for those of you not proficient in geekspeak (i cheerfully class myself as a geek before you say anything about slandering geeks).

Also any estimation on the amount of time to fix? Want to know if its worth attempting to run a group tonight...

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
On behalf of all us 'geeks' out there, myself included....

YAY GEEKS!!!!

Sorry, had to do that and I've no idea why...

Basically I have the choice between RvR and lovely, shiny rps or free food and beer...

RvR >>> Free bar
Free bar >>> Lag

Need to know what I'm gonna do tonight...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Requiel said:
This morning OT's techs made some changes and they think the problem may be solved

Lag starting to get bad at 1630 on Excal just as I was logging out to go to work, complaints starting again on /as about it.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
are you mad?

RvR is not greater than free bar ... free bar for the win!

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
What can I say, I'm getting old...

Beer doesn't have the appeal it used to do, neither do the hangovers I've started to suffer in the last year or so :(

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Dakkath said:
What can I say, I'm getting old...

Beer doesn't have the appeal it used to do, neither do the hangovers I've started to suffer in the last year or so :(

but there's free food too....
drink coke if need be...

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Well...

I went along for one quick beer before loging in...

Then someone started on the champagne... Things went rapidly downhill from there...

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe time to change transit providers Requiel.

Funny enough I work for an ISP that maybe able to help and compete price wise, drop me a PM.

We have just won the contract for www.mir3europe.com and another that I am unable to say as yet but will be as big as DaoC, if not bigger if the server poulations at present are anyting to go by. Four servers, 75,000 players and full to the brim.

Maybe time for GOA to go with someone who care's about their customers.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Accupuncture said:
Maybe time to change transit providers Requiel.

Funny enough I work for an ISP that maybe able to help and compete price wise, drop me a PM.

We have just won the contract for www.mir3europe.com and another that I am unable to say as yet but will be as big as DaoC, if not bigger if the server poulations at present are anyting to go by. Four servers, 75,000 players and full to the brim.

Maybe time for GOA to go with someone who care's about their customers.
The problem isn't with our hosting, it's with the infrastructure leading to our servers. No matter who we were hosted by or who we used as our ISP, you would still use OT routers to reach us from outside the local area. Even if we were on AOL dialup you'd still route to us the same way. The only way to change the routing would be to move the servers to a different physical location and that isn't going to happen for a number of reasons and the chances are that exactly the same problems would occur with the infrastructure company in the new location - in general companies like OT, Telia, Sprintlink, UUNet etc don't care about online games so much. The bulk of their business comes from ISPs and portals who don't need seamless, latency free connections. As long as it's good enough to surf and download over the companies are happy. Obviously for services which require a strong and uninterrupted connection like DAoC, minor problems which 99% of their customers won't even notice will cause problems.

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
The problem isn't with our hosting, it's with the infrastructure leading to our servers. No matter who we were hosted by or who we used as our ISP, you would still use OT routers to reach us from outside the local area. Even if we were on AOL dialup you'd still route to us the same way. The only way to change the routing would be to move the servers to a different physical location and that isn't going to happen for a number of reasons and the chances are that exactly the same problems would occur with the infrastructure company in the new location - in general companies like OT, Telia, Sprintlink, UUNet etc don't care about online games so much. The bulk of their business comes from ISPs and portals who don't need seamless, latency free connections. As long as it's good enough to surf and download over the companies are happy. Obviously for services which require a strong and uninterrupted connection like DAoC, minor problems which 99% of their customers won't even notice will cause problems.

I think I may have discribed what we do incorrectly (we host servers) I know just changing ISP would not solve the problem.

Maybe time they got new routers instead of the flacky crap they are using at the moment then. All the plots I have seen point to it not being GOA's problem but the router just before its past to your kit.

Hence me not saying anything or blaming GOA (that and the last time I did I was banned from posting ;) )

Has this all be resolved now and can I assume I will be able to play a normal game without wondering if I should pull a mob or not in case I get lag and die.

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

Could you move the servers to an empty house just up the street from me please?
I feel this would resolve any lag issues I may be having.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom