weird pc problem

- English -

Resident Freddy
When I turn on my PC in the mornings (case standing verticle), i'm often greeting with a sound like an old car with a dead battery (if i hold the power button in). In PC terms I mean it sounds like it is short circuiting somewhere and the power going off immediatly.. I hear a clicking sound.
I think ive narrowed it down to the gfx card. I can place the PC on it's side and it starts up no problem. So the logical explaniation it is touching something metalic and circuiting? .. however when the PC is on and i start moving the card around, nothing happens.. i cant get it to turn off .. wait for it until i stand it up vertically...

Any ideas? maybe the power supply is failing, its quite old .. Enermax 620w but its a new PC with a 660gt.. hmm ;\

Kryten

Old Cow.
Rip it apart, clean it all up, rebuild it checking for shorts on the case very carefully.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Actually its even weirder, i've removed the gfx (poor little thing being accused of shorting it)

My PC starts no problem when lying on the side
But as soon as i turn it vertically it will not start.. if i start horizontally and put it up... it will sometimes stay on without a problem, sometimes restarts after 20 secs

Hm ;z

- English -

Resident Freddy
ahhh fixed...

1 tiny little loose screw on the mobo, no idea how that bugger came loose...

I guess ive been lucky it hadnt fried the mobo

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
As in the crew that holds the board onto the case? How would that work? There are isolating rings around the screw holes precisely to stop that happening.

rynnor

Rockhound
Access Denied said:
As in the crew that holds the board onto the case? How would that work? There are isolating rings around the screw holes precisely to stop that happening.

I think he meant it had come out completely and was rattling around causing random shorting.

- English -

Resident Freddy
The brass socket was screwed onto the board, but the metal screw which attaches the board to the socket was loose, causing it to short somewhere when standing verticle (but no problems when lying down)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom