Web Software

S

(Shovel)

I've used WS_FTP Light for years. Never had need to change.

Sometimes just use Windows Explorer if I want to swap and image or download something small - but never for putting up ASCII or changing permissions.

O

old.Jas

WS_FTP is great - but I have recently discovered LeechFTP. Its great for uploading lots of files as it opens up more than one thread (upto 16 I think)

O

old.Maeterlinck

The Point

There seems to be a lot of too-ing and fro-ing, but no one really wants to address the issue. What this thread comes down to is really your knowledge of HMTL and what you want to do with it.
There's no point trying to code in notepad if you have absolutely no know idea about HTML or where to start, and likewise there's no point in splashing out £3-400 on Dreamweaver or Ultra-Dev if you only need to script one simple site.

Although the initial question did say "best software" I think they were refering to best for them. pocketyoda, if you have no HTML experience then why spend anything? You might not even like coding webpages. I'd recomend two things first get a beginners HTML book from the library, it's free and it will simply tell you the basics, and practice in Frontpage Express (shhh for a sec you purists!). FPX is free and has both a WYSIWYG and code view, also if you like HTML then cleaning up the FPX code will teach you loads! (c:

I personally use DW, mainly because I can code pages quickly and because of the template function. Running a business time is always of the essence - hand coding could add days to the scripting time! I think DW is your best bet if you're producing many sites which vary in complexity. However there are hundreds of packages out there, just look on download.com or tucows, but really what you need to do is have at least a basic understanding of HTML otherwise it will be like beating your head against a virtual wall...

T

Tempy_Incursion

True. There's no point using notepad or another non-WYSIWYG editor if you're unsure of HTML. A good tip there about FP Express. :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread