web hosting

- English -

Resident Freddy
I previously posted a while ago about what company to use, or what you guys can reconmend, but i have another enquiry.

My dad is after a website, mainly for his train pictures. He needs about 20gig of diskspace, but after looking at the place i use (vidahost), hes going to be paying over the odds for what he needs.

For 25gig diskspace, they want 100£ a year - which tbh imo seems expensive. This package also includes alot of other things he doesnt need, like the option to host 25 websites etc

Anyone reconmend any hosting companies who perhaps specilise in this sort of thing?

Thanks.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I doubt you would get it for much less than that.
All the well known reliable hosting companies like Vidahost will be in that price range....

- English -

Resident Freddy
He used to use fotopic, but their company has gone into liquidation

Any know of good alternatives?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Only flickr springs to mind tbh.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
An alternative to flickr is Googles Picasa Web album.

You can pay something like 20GB for US$5 a year...

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Why not use dirt cheap hosting for the actual site and use Amazon S3 to host the images - pennies per month for gigabytes of storage. As long as you get decent bandwidth with the hosting package it should all be good.

Other than that OVH is pretty good as Mystic said as long as you or your dad are happy maintaining the server.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
You get webmin with that OVH rps and if you run their version of Gentoo there is a one line command that can be used for patching it (as long as you change none of the installed software)

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
You get webmin with that OVH rps and if you run their version of Gentoo there is a one line command that can be used for patching it (as long as you change none of the installed software)

Yeah I use an RPS2 as a backup for a website - The gentoo install is alright - had a sod of a time configuring SSL on Qmail with it though and ended up putting Sendmail on it, so now have to patch the whole thing manually a couple of times per year. Not enitrely convinced on how clear the instructions are either - took a few wrong turns in terms of DNS when migrating a domain to them. Those servers are quite nippy though I must admit, Ideal for low to medium traffic hosting and quite cheap.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Why not use dirt cheap hosting for the actual site and use Amazon S3 to host the images - pennies per month for gigabytes of storage. As long as you get decent bandwidth with the hosting package it should all be good.

Other than that OVH is pretty good as Mystic said as long as you or your dad are happy maintaining the server.

hows that work actually?

the website is hosted on on a server, the pictures on amazons3?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah basically. You would just be cloud hosting the bigger stuff. Set up your website, set up a bucket on amazon and then create a CNAME on your hosts DNS server and point it towards s3.amazonaws.com/bucketname and bobs your monkeys uncle. AWS/s3 also has options to make it a virtual host.

A lot of people dump stuff on amazon these days (including this site I believe), it is quite a common practice. Most common CMS / blog / forums scripts also have mods/plugins/addons that enable s3 usuage too.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think Tony puts anything on Amazon. He was saying it was shit the other day.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I don't think Tony puts anything on Amazon. He was saying it was shit the other day.

Ah, thought he did - becoming standard nowadays really. I would imagine when you get to this level of traffic, it would become a little laggy - although notch hosts half the minecraft servers there apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom