Web browser times out too quickly

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Hi, I have made an uploader page but I have discovered that IE (and other browsers) time out after 5 mins or so.

This causes a problem as the files I upload take say 10 minutes and so the page times out and my files do not get uploaded....

I have tried adding a frame where I refresh just that part of the page once a minute but this does not keep the session alive either

I have also add a registry file to keep the browser session alive to X minutes but this does not work either, still times out after 5 mins. (I googled to discover the registry hack does not work for others too).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q181050/
(Although my server has IE 6 and that url just mentions up to ver 5.)

I am at a loss, does anybody have any idea on how to keep the browser sessions alive?

I have read this is a problem for many people but I havent read a working solution, doesnt matter what the language used was, its always the browser at fault.

All I want is to let users upload .zip files just like fileplanet.com does... :eek7:

Thanks, Kevin

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
I looked into this a little myself. I wanted to upload large files but found that there was a file limit with the server. I gave up after a while because I had other things to do but I think it could well be your host has put a file size upload limit. I had no problem uploading files below 10 mbs or so but beyond that no joy. Could well be why you 'time out' after a set period becauseyou hit the file size limit. Might be worth checking that side of things.

There are companies that offer large storage where you can upload large files and the charge is quite cheap per month. Those would not have a file size upload limit.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Its my own server, I've checked all limits that I think there could be and narrowed it down to a browser time out.

If I use FTP then I can upload over 100mb, its just when I use a browser the problem occurs.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Have you tried using an ftp:... URL to peform the upload (obviously the server will need to be suitably configured)?

I feel that a browser is just the wrong tool for this job, but if you must use one, how about writing an upload applet or ActiveX control to do the work, that way the browser doesn't get involved in timeouts or rendering issues (and you can use a more efficient protocol than posting HTTP www-form-url-encoded data, such as FTP or RCP, which also avoids all manner of memory issues with big files).

Just a thought...

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Proprietry nonsense like ActiveX wont get you very far in the cross-browser stakes, plus the fact that a lot of public-minded security advice right now consists of "disable it" (short of a better solution).

As Phlash says, you're really using the wrong tool for the job and this is really what FTP is supposed to be for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom