Warranties - return cost

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
My 4870x2 memory has gone back, it was bought only last june so it's well inside the warranty period, someone told me that the reseller (scan.co.uk) should arrange pick-up for the item for free? is that true? or should i quickly get myself down the post office...

xane

Fledgling Freddie
AFAIK, the retailer is only really responsible for the first six months, thereafter it becomes the manufacturers responsibility. If Scan replace your memory now no questions asked they are doing you a favour and I'd just shoulder the P&P.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Was able to get through to scan, it's the responsibility of the retailer in my case, and they have set up a free collection of the item from my work address on Monday, I'll have to pay for the collection if they find it not faulty, but it sure as hell is so not worried. Plus as a customers who's spend over 2500 with them in the last year I'd hope they'd treat me nice :p

soze

I am a FH squatter
DOA is normally 1 month where it goes back to reseller or Scan. After that its back to manufacturer and then it depends on the warranty if it is RTB or Collect. But no after 1 month Scan have no obligation, you could try your luck but they are not obliged.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
AFAIK, the retailer is only really responsible for the first six months, thereafter it becomes the manufacturers responsibility. If Scan replace your memory now no questions asked they are doing you a favour and I'd just shoulder the P&P.

I'm fairly sure that this isn't right. It is the retailers responsible to sell you something that is fit for purpose, and that responsibility doesn't end at 6 months, or even the end of the warranty. if you can prove that an item was faulty at point of sale then it is the retailers responsibility to replace or fix any item within its expected life.

Of course it gets more and more difficult to prove this as an item gets older, but that is one of your consumer rights. I recently bought the bits to put together this PC and several of them came with notes to say that if faulty it must be returned to the manufacturer and not the retailer, this appears contrary to the law above, and though may be a fine way of getting faulty parts replaced probably can't be enforced. In fact the PSU had just that note, but Aria did ask for it back and replaced it with no issue.

I did read something about a 6 month limit recently though, and that is that it is the retailers responsibility to prove that an item wasn't faulty at point of sale and not the purchasers responsibility to prove that it was within this time limit.

RB

xane

Fledgling Freddie
RB, you are correct in everything stated, afaiik the law gives six months as a reasonable amount of time for faulty products, I doubt you'd successfully contest anything beyond this, and like you I suspect the "one month" given by most retailers is definitely incorrect for electrical products, I had a recent heated dispute with a well known hi-fi retailer over a plasma TV when it went wrong after five months, I ended up with a new one not a repair as they wanted to do.

Nevertheless, my point was that considering the amount of time gone by, a retailer exchanging or being involved in the exchange is quite good service.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Well the GPU was 7 months old, but they send a city link fella around to pick it up, prolly just depends who you get on the end of the phone,,, now just got to wait to see what I get back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom