WARNING-may be boring!

T

throdgrain

It's that ol' chestnut again.with my pc now very ancient (oo nearly 11 months old!) im thinking about upgrading me video card, which at present is a gf2mx.anyone have any links to folk selling faster video cards? and what sort of performance increase could i expect? on q3 demo i get 119fps avarage with most things turned on except brass eject,smoke trails etc.
I wont be buying it for q3 tho really,more for rtcw.

oh yeah my system is p3 1 gig 400 mb ram.
thanks all :)

T

Testin da Cable

are you sure you want to upgrade your gfx? how about speeding up I/O [disk subsystem, cdrom, burner, dvd playa]?
perhaps investing in a higher quality monitor and a new mouse/kb set?

I know you've prolly thought about this tho matey ;)

T

throdgrain

well no i hadnt thought of it really.will it make a lot of difference?i'm sure most of the stuff you said will make no difference to frame rate!basically the frame rate is the thing i want to improve,its a bit low on rtcw for some reason.(see discussion elsewhere!)
i was think of a gforce 2 ultra but i ve no real idea wether it'l improve things or not.i bought a v5.5 once to improve a celly400/v3 machine,and it made no difference at all!
i guess i was thinking of maybe 100-150 quid as a budget.

T

Testin da Cable

well, getting the fastest subsystems you can get is very pleasing on the 'overall'. however, if framerate is what you crave the way of the cpu-upgrade and/or gfx card-upgrade is the one you should take.
I have no idea what cpu's and suchlike cost over there, but I get the impression a processor with a bit more 'oomph' will be a better buy than a gfx card. what do I know tho heh, a gF-2ultra will prolly serve you just as well :)

"go not to the elves for council, as they will say both yes and no"

T

throdgrain

1.theres a bloody lot of tolkien quotations about atm! dunno why :)
2.yes but where can i get 1 /read about 1/see how much it is blah blaH
CHEERS LADS

T

throdgrain

old thread reprise!

where is the best place to buy a gf2ultra or a Ti 200 pray tell?
(pref.in england :) )

T

throdgrain

shop would be nice but net is ok :) i live in sussex

W

Wij

don't know that area sorry :)

on the net try www.dabs.com

never had a problem with them and they have a large range.

T

throdgrain

that gf2 titanium 64m looks like good value for money.does anyone know how good they are? i assume they will be quite a bit better than than my gf2mx 32m

W

Wij

Originally posted by throdgrain
that gf2 titanium 64m looks like good value for money.does anyone know how good they are? i assume they will be quite a bit better than than my gf2mx 32m

They're just like a GF2 pro. Quite a bit better than an MX. But if you can afford a little more I'd get a GF3 Ti 200.

S

Sawtooth

Use the (Ge) force Luke use the force.

Money no option...Geforce 3 Ti500
imho if you're willin to spend 200 quid, then sell the kids into slavery and spend 300ish instead..you know it makes sense.

Saw

W

Wij

Nah, a GF3 Ti 200 will do him fine and save about £150 :)

T

throdgrain

the whole subject gives me nightmares after i replaced a voodoo 3 2000 for a voodoo 5500 pci in my old pc.there i was expecting great things when i checked,but there was no difference in frame rate at all! the celeron 400 processor was holding the whole thing back, obviously what im scared of is spending another 150- 200 quid and having the same thing. i guess it will improve frame rate cos of the 1 gig processor but...

C

Ch3tan

If you got £200 quid and want a very good performance to price ratio get a radeon 8500. The extra you pay for a geforce 3 really isnt worth it. Unless your rich and dont mid throwing your cash away.

Oh yeah I still think ATI are wank, but as the card of choice at the moment if probably get a 8500 myself.

T

throdgrain

there are quite a few different gf3's around though.which do you mean?you think a 8500 is better than a ti 200?as far as the price goes im not sure what i want to spend.i may buy that gf2 titanium for 120 quid u know,depends how much more another 100 quid gets me if u see what i mean :)

C

Ch3tan

radeon 8500 is comparable, if not better in some aspects to the gf3 ti 500 ( the top range one).

Lots and lots of reviews with variying opinions

Go read. gf2 ultra isnt worth it, move with the times.

T

throdgrain

im just looking atm,the ultra on the test at sharky extreme appears to produce very much the same results as the ti 200.which is confusing to say the least...more reading required i think!

p.s the mad thing is you do all this just to play 1 £30 game...

T

throdgrain

Wij do you play rtcw and if so what kinda performance do you get?

W

Wij

When I played thru the SP game at 1024x768, purty gfx mode it was mainly capped up at 90fps. It Sometimes dropped a bit in the action bits but not usually below 50 or so.

I'd imagine the performance would be worse in online play tho due to more players and action to calculate and draw. Might have to tone down the gfx a leeeetle bit.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Wij
/me wubs gf3 :)

Wijlet, how much diff is there between say, a gF2-gts and a gF3? Hazard a learned guess? not speed, but more luberly picture quals and suchlike...

T

throdgrain

but what processor you got wij m8? thats the thing too i guess.all this bollocks is just so i can play rtcw better .at 640-480 on sp game my 1gig p3 is going from 90 to 30 fps and back again depending on where i am.much the same on mp mode,tho ive lots of stuff turned off tho.(not vertex lighting or anything cakky like that just effects).i would be more than satisfied if i could play rtcw at 60fps constant like i do cs.
im nearly there m8's just a bit more convincing and a gf3 200 is mine :)

T

Testin da Cable

Wij and I both have an amd 1800+ bikerd00d ;) and I'd say go for that 200. it's not obscenely expensive like the 500 but will give stellar performance imo.

in the interests of consulting, honesty compels me [!!] to say that you should start looking out for a mobo+cpu upgrade in the foreseeable future tho, but that 200 should tide you over nicely ;)

woo as I said somewhere else, incoherency rules :D

T

throdgrain

well i have actually stuck me neck out and ordered a ti 200 today,so it should be here tuesday.bloke at overclockers said it would be like a 20% improvement so fingers crossed.
ta for the info u 2 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom