Warlock Guide

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I've just rolled myself a level 5 Warlock and just about to train. But I'm confused. I don't know what to spec in. I've read loads of guides (eg. http://daoc.catacombs.com/forum.cfm?ThreadKey=67331&DefMessage=1273703&forum=61)(but they all contradict each other. A million ppl saying this spec is best, their spec is best. Can someone just answer me the following questions:

1. What are Primers, Primary, and Secondary spells ?
2. What is Witchcraft, Cursing, and Hex ?
3. I want a Warlock than produces maximum damage output. What should I spec (I've gone 18 pts into Piety) ?

Thx

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
http://daoc.catacombs.com/forum.cfm?ThreadKey=67331&DefMessage=1063240&forum=61

best wl guide around.

Chambers work like:
1. Hit Button for Chamber1:
2. Select Primary Spell
3. Selecet Secondary Spell
4. Chamber is filled.

Now to use the Chamber use it like a normal spell, remember that you have to stand still to use em and that you can`t fire all Chambers at once. There is a 2 Second Cooldown time between the firing of 2 Chambers, but you can still cast normally during this time (or use chambers while casting normally).

Primary/Secondary Spells:
First you start casting you Primary Spell, then you select the secondary. When the Primary Spell hits so will the Secondary.

Now for primers.
These spells you can cast as a primary instead of your curse dd or bolt. Unint is great when you are in a tight spot and need to kill them before you die (LT if single target, PBAE if multiple). Also unint costs a hefty chunk of your power so it is adviceable to select your gear with + to Power Pool and + to power Pool Cap in Mind. Depending upon your Gear you can expect to be able to use anywhere from 2-6 Uninteruptables.

Powerless can be used to cast spells such as the Pbae when working siege to keep stealthers at bay, spreadheal when trying to heal, LT when in a fight (can lower casting time to 2.6-2.0 sec depending on level you have, amount of dex and +% casting speed bonus). This can be extremely helpful in Keep Warfare in a Tank Heavy Group, this allows you to stay in the Keep and spamm spreadheal, while the Tank go out (and eventually die), get back to the Keep Lord, get rezzed, and get out again… This will allow the Main Healers to do the rezzing (even though this ain`t really that exiting)

The Ranged Primer is a good tool to instantly drop a Dot on someone far away, hit a caster with nearsight, snare the MA of an the inc assist train.

2. Ok first off some definitions of what the spells you have are:
PRIMARY- these are the only spells you can cast by themselfs (other then primers). These are all the spells from the cursing path.

SECONDARY- these spells you have to cast after you cast a primary spell. These are all spells from the hexing path

PRIMER- these spells augment your secondary spells. There is Powerless, Range Mod, and Uninterrupt (unint). With these your are capable of using Secondary Spells without a Primary Spell

CHAMBER- These are spells you use to load a primary & secondary spell into, to use instantly (but standing) at a later time. Loading Spells, and firing them from a Chamber does NOT use Power, so this is a nice Tool for PvE, and even more so for RvR.

CURSE SPELLS
DD- Direct Damage, type of spell that HURTS!

BOLT- Long range, high damage DD that has a chance to be blocked or partially negated.

ROOT- Spell that prevents enemy from moving, but he will still be able to fight.

HEAL- Spell that allows you to Heal groupmates.

HEXING SPELLS
LT- Lifetap, a type of DD that will return health to caster for a % of damage done.

DoT- Damage over Time, target of these spells is hit for a small (compared to DDs) amount of damage every couple of seconds for a set period of time.

PBAE- Point Blank Area of Effect, Damage spell damaging all enemy around the caster.

SPREAD- Short for spreadheal. Group heal that actually is valuable in a group.

FROG- Nickname for the snare spell in hex which turns players into frogs. !Will break Heretic Monster Rez!

NEARSIGHT- Spell that reduces the effective Range of enemy casters

POWER REGENERATION- Spell that enhances your Power Regeneration Value, can be used with the Powerless Primer

*HOW TO...*

This question I get at least twice a day. How do I cast my spells.
When you aquire your target you will start by casting either your Bolt or DD from the BASE CURSING path. Within 4 Seconds you have to select your secondary Spell, sometimes its best to wait a bit what to use (if playing in a group), but mostly better select it NOW, this will be a Spell from the Hexing Line, for PvE a Lifetap or DoT ist recommended, even though a Snare can come in handy, depending upon the situation.
In PvE I usually start with Bolt + DoT, then DD + Lifetap, DD + Lifetap, then I either Kite or finish with a Chamber (seldom needed).

Now for how you chamber your spells. Ok now you will get different levels of chamber you will want all then ones you have on your qbar. To start you hit the button for the chamber spell, select the primary (usually dd), and then select your secondary (either LT, DoT, PBAE, Spreadheal. LT and DoT are used primarily).

To unload the chamber, once you have readied it/them, you have to be standing still then hit the chamber button on qbar. Then repeat for each chamber.

There are 2 regulary mentioned, i`ll comment on both :)
a) 12 Curse, 30 Witchcraft and 43 Hexing
This is a nice alround Specc, though it seems it will loose some damage due to the expected "Adjustments" to the Warlock. Well but even then it will still be viable.
30 Witchcraft gets you:
-4th Uninteruptable Primer with 35% Power Cost, which allows you to cast 3-6 Spells while in Combat (remember Warlocks do not get MoC)
-3rd Range Primer: Allowing you to throw Secondaries out at up to 2250 Units.
-3rd Powerless Primer: Allowing you to cast Secondary Spells at NO Powercost, albeit at 4.3 Seconds Casttime.
-And 3 Chambers, but only one of them can be used for Bolts.

43 Hexing gets you:
-The beste Snare, Hooray
-Second to last Lifedrain, which is pretty powerful (will go to 168 Delve Value vs 225 current), but even at 168 Delve Value this is nearly the Strength of Baseline Nukes and you get to heal yourself with it.
-Second to Last DoT, though it will be reduced in the same manner als the Lifedrain
-Second to Last PBAE, meaning being at 66% the Strength of a pure PBAE Caster.
-The first Self Regen Buff, which is always nice to have, can be cast with Powerless and so it can be used while OOM.
-Second Spreadheal, which is equal in Power to a Healers 31er Spreadheal.
-Last Nearsight, always nice to have :)

12 Curse gets you:
-a small heal which can be used to heal after Battle or in combination with the Spreadheal (nice way to fill a chamber with a sort of insta heal), and this lessens the variance on your Curse Spells a bit.

b)4 Curse, 20 Witchcraft, 50 Hexing
4 Curse gets you:
-well really nothing... just leftover points

20 Witchcraft gets you:
-2 Chambers, neither one can be filled with a Bolt.
-3rd Uninteruptable Primer, this will limit you to 2-5 Casts until beiing OOM. Not a big Reduction from the 30 WC
-2nd Range Primer, This gives you the option to throw Secondaries up to 2000 Range, though this is a reduction of 250 units, it is still more then BoltRange.
-2nd Powerless Primer: This gives you the Ability to cast Secondaries at no Power Cost albeit at 5.3 Seconds cast time.

50 Hexing gets you:
-All Spells at the highest Delve.
-The Last Lifetap, which is at 191 Delve Value (after the Adjustments, atm its 255)
-Last PBAE equal to the Spiritmaster Version
-Last Spreadheal with 20% more Power
-Self Manaregeneration at 4 times the power of the first one.

-------------------------------------

oh and delete your wl, roll a real class, foad and the normal whine.

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
Not that i know what your talking about but nice post and decent attempt at a reply that will , im sure, be helpfull to lamp :)

+rep for joo!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thanks

What about quick-barring ?

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
My advice would be to head for the 50hex, 20wc spec. I found it very nice and always had the intention of moving on to the other spec once I reached sufficient realm rank. In the end I decided 50hex gave the best short term dps and stuck with it. 50hex = top lifetap/pb = best chamber damage, only 2 chambers though, but they will do insane damage.

On speccing I would go 10con/15 piety and take a small female kobby for size, but race isnt greatly important.

Im not sure what you mean by 'quick barreling', Warlocks dont get quickcast and cant speed anything up, all our spells and chambering actions are fixed cast time, with the exception of stuff cast with primers such as uninteruptable, or powerless.

Slick50

Fledgling Freddie
Yup you cant quickcast chambers, i dont really see when you might want to either.

If in a hot fight you will never ever have time to put up chambers. Waste your mana on uninteruptables or powerless. Or bolt + spell X. (Snare 4tw).

GL playing the most hated and currently most overestimated classingame ^^.

That said, it is without a doubt one of the hardest challenging classes ingame.
In retrospect to what is said of the class as a onebutton wonder it is one of the most buttonmashing advanced classes there is.

To get a ordinary one spell of there is usually a minimum of 3 buttons you just have to push, and timing is essential aswell.
FACE+Modifier+spell
or
FACE+primary+Secondary

Face is the most important button you have, as if you dont stand still the spell will fail. and in worst case bug out and you stand there like a pwned fool unable to do anything because the spell failed and you got fooled by the modifier effect that pops anyway.
This is something you most of all will notice.

Also be aware that if u use a modifier and target is to far away or under water or.. or .. you will cast the spell anyways and loose power. Devestating if you use uninteruptables w 50 hex spec.

At lower realmranks i also suggest the 50hex spec tbh. so you can hope to pick off casters and assasains.
A alternative is Tri chamber spec so you can double bolting. quite effective aswell. bolt + snare + bolt + DD or DoT.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Thanks

What about quick-barring ?

if u want to fire from chamber you need to press chamber icon again :)
so you need to put chambers on qbars... and u can use another qbar if u want for the spells you put into the chambers basically

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Good god, I'm sat here trolling and I find Agrigo talking rubbish and Kaun trolling too - stop looking for another FH title Kaun! :puke:

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
Hey , im trolling as well :(

such bumpage of my rr5 title btw ^^

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
150px-DoNotFeedTroll.svg.png

pip

Banned
Lamp said:
I've just rolled myself a level 5 Warlock and just about to train. But I'm confused. I don't know what to spec in. I've read loads of guides (eg. http://daoc.catacombs.com/forum.cfm?ThreadKey=67331&DefMessage=1273703&forum=61)(but they all contradict each other. A million ppl saying this spec is best, their spec is best. Can someone just answer me the following questions:

1. What are Primers, Primary, and Secondary spells ?
2. What is Witchcraft, Cursing, and Hex ?
3. I want a Warlock than produces maximum damage output. What should I spec (I've gone 18 pts into Piety) ?

Thx
Cap Piety finish spec should be 12 curs 43 hex 30 witch that is 3 chamber spec ftw,when lvling keep hex highish and make sure you have best life taps to put in chambers, I have seen people try to rush getting there chambers and have nothing to put in em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom