Warhammer Online..... The end of Daoc??

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Am playing DAoC till the server goes to sleep for good. Best game I've played in a long time.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
tbh i got concerns over playing any game from mythic...

they got the firepower to get a stable working game off the ground... like and that is the hard or bit that requires intelligence both in developement and in business terms..

its what they do with the game and their in ability to understand like real fundamentals of balance that makes me think warhammer will just be a tad fooked up like daoc has become.

over the years they put like some unbelievable things into the game only to take them out like 6months to a year later after like it has forced people away from the game or their character.... this has been a constant theme with daoc, that tbh im just sick to death of.. the game is so layered with different generations of bolt on abilities thats its now impossible to get anything close to balance....

also they have some fundamental flaws in understanding what the community really wants out of the end game to...

all this is a shame because they done the hard bit only to fuck up on the easy bit.

Lollersausage

Banned
as Overdriven said, daoc's prob the best game i've played in a long time..

...the way most players play though... :puke:

Lollersausage

Banned
[SS]Gamblor said:
That's what i was thinking as well.

here is some old sk00l doom

doom_3_orig2.jpg

Doomjpgpsd.jpg

:eek:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Javai said:
As is Everquest after release of Everquest 2 :)

The real issue for DaoC is that it does need a large'ish player base to sustain the rvr element and while I know that isn't why everyone plays it is certainly a major factor is people making 400 alts...

EQ2 will probably die long before the original will.

/edit: and no, DAoC wont die just because warhammer online gets released.. it didnt die when WoW released, and i highly doubt Warhammer will have even half the effect on DAoC that WoW had. if any at all apart from a very small part of the comunity that decides to leave DAoC for good in favour of WH

getting a tad tired of doom threads here....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
censi said:
tbh i got concerns over playing any game from mythic...

they got the firepower to get a stable working game off the ground... like and that is the hard or bit that requires intelligence both in developement and in business terms..

its what they do with the game and their in ability to understand like real fundamentals of balance that makes me think warhammer will just be a tad fooked up like daoc has become.

over the years they put like some unbelievable things into the game only to take them out like 6months to a year later after like it has forced people away from the game or their character.... this has been a constant theme with daoc, that tbh im just sick to death of.. the game is so layered with different generations of bolt on abilities thats its now impossible to get anything close to balance....

also they have some fundamental flaws in understanding what the community really wants out of the end game to...

all this is a shame because they done the hard bit only to fuck up on the easy bit.
while on the whole i agree, they have messed up in so many ways its unreal, i think they have at last learnt from thier mistakes (far to late for daoc sadly) they are trying hard to fix things now, or seem to be anyway. i am hopefull that warhammer will be approached in a different way while still keeping the best pvp style in any mmo.

Imon

Fledgling Freddie
Since no one has come up with a better way to fight for both the elajt players (noaddyawankers) and a fun way for the casual (bombthakeep!!!!) it wont be the end

Appendix

Fledgling Freddie
WHO won't kill DAOC. On the contrary, Mythic needs another title to stay in business. Only when Daoc no longer generates profit for Mythic will the servers be shutdown and the game die. With time the playerbase will inevitably decrease to a level where it's no longer sustainable. If WHO turns out to be sucessful Mythic may keep some Daoc-servers running for the oldtime daoc-players. GOA on the other hand will probably just cut the service when they deem it unprofitable.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
W.A.R will get LOTS of subscribers just like WoW did. It can be bad/good but it will get lots of paying costumers because the warhammer world is so known just like the warcraft world.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Warhammer online is another mythic game (like daoc) and i'll deffo try it out, i don't know if i'll move from daoc, depends how good it is.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Seems in Warhammer Online, they'll capture the spirit of DAoC... the excellent RvR system. Hands down the best PvP / RvR you'll encounter in any MMO.
If WO manage to do this correctly, and make the PvE bit compelling enough I think many DAoC'ers will make the move. And also people from other MMO's that like the warhammer universe or that want good pvp but thinks DAoC is to "old" to get into as a newbie.

old.SevenSins

Loyal Freddie
Warhammer Online will attract a lot of users that's for sure, but I doubt (m)any of those users will come from DAoC grounds.

There's a lot of talk about Warhammer Online on the WoW fanboards/GW fanboards so a shitload of people are already anxious for the game besides the DAoC'rs who mostly show no interest as the RvR seems pretty much the same.

Maybe Mythic is just trying to pull off a #2 MMO or maybe aim for #1 by trying to drag WoW's userbase, while subtlely grabbing some DAoC'rs/GW'rs here and there, and maybe some folks from Lineage/2/EQ etc.

So to me Warhammer Online sounds like some big fight to get a larger userbase than they had with DAoC, and somehow I think that they might even be successfull enough to create a userbase 50% of what WoW has, maybe more.

Personally I'd definately try it aswell, if the RvR is atleast a bit the same as it is on DAoC + the huge userbase (guesses + speculations ofcourse), then it has me interessed enough to try it aswell.

Ofcourse I'm just speculating here, but from more and more corners of the world from the friends I played games with, or the boards of games I still follow online, the interest seems really high in Warhammer Online.

Let's see what happens though.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Mythic stated they gonna host it in Eu directly.

Munchcard3.jpg

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
will goa be hosting it?

If they do im not gonna try it out :) not doing same mistake twice thats for sure..

T

Thotor

Crooked Line said:
DOOOOOOM!
C'mon people predict the end of DAoC with every release of a new mmorpg.
No, it will not be the end.
I agree but with WHo , it's quite different

Same company as DAoC
Same goal as DAoC

like someone said, if server population drop to low, the RvR will no longer be possible

Lots of DAoC fan (you wouldn't have left for any game) will go on WHo. Same pvp, new rvr zone, new classes. If WHo is the DAoC2 everyone waits for, it might be the end for DAoC (or maybe they will cluster every server lol)

For the moment we cannot tell. But a daoc-like game will have a huge impact on daoc for sure (maybe greater then WoW) and I doubt there will be enough people left to RvR on our old servers (we have already reached a very low population)
If WHo wasn't a daoc-like, I wouldn't be afraid but it is so wait and seee

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Eeben said:
If they do im not gonna try it out :) not doing same mistake twice thats for sure..
well if Mythic host the servers in france will be the same problems anyway ><
we see what happens but it looks promising.
Just depends if mythic employs real programmers or just whips the monkeys to spew out some more code :p

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
well if Mythic host the servers in france will be the same problems anyway ><
we see what happens but it looks promising.
Just depends if mythic employs real programmers or just whips the monkeys to spew out some more code :p

lets just pray they learnt from ther mistakes :)

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
most deffo gonna try this out, have been playing both the fantasy and 40k tabletop version and loved it, so i guess this can only be good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom