Warhammer Online gameplay vids from E3

Jobbegea

Loyal Freddie
i like the realmquesting part.

if you need to kill for example 60goblins, everyone in that area is able to do it.
if a player kills an goblin in that area. there will be 59 left.. now you login into the game, and accepts a quest. you need to kill 59 goblins. so basicly everyone in the zone are on the same quest.
you even get a reward when there is like 5 goblins left :)

the morale system can be tricky. i hope those tier spells won't be overpowered, the guy that talks about says it won't but you never know.
the morale stuff and realmquesting sounds very good and very fun.

the example of the greenskins VS dwarf realm is a nice example of the war vs 2 races. on that map it seems that karak eightpeeks a neutral city wich you can conquer. Dunno what bonus the realm gets when you gain a neutral city, maybe acces to (epic) dungeons. more quests. better position for an attack on the other pvp zones. maybe even morale % bonus.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Aiteal said:
Piracy isn't a problem in the mmorpgs genre, although it is in other game genres

Not to mention the fact that the overwhelmingly vast majority of pirated games would never have been sold copies even if piracy wasnt possible, since one of the main reasons people pirate software is because they could not afford to buy it anyway, or dont think its worth the price that the publishers want for it and thus would not have bought it anyway. The media industry often blames piracy for reduced revenues, when in fact it has as much to do with trying to sell ridiculously overpriced products, using outdated means of distribution and handling.

And besides, as i understand it it isnt especially hard to use pirated software for consoles anyway.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Fana said:
I think you will find there are quite a few people (couple million) that have a very good grasp of what the graphical style of Warhammer is (and what came first, wow or war etc) since Games Workshop has a huge following both in the US and the EU. I would say that most males that are or were young during the last 10 years have been in contact with warhammer figures (at least seen them in stores etc).
So sure, WoW did the mmorpg bit first, but alot of people know what the graphical style of Warhammer looks like from long before WoW.

the thing is, i know in my whole life 1 person who played WH, and about 5 who knew what it was.

Now almost every person i know, regardless of age, knows about WoW and most of em have seen the game, in some form, so i would think that more ppl know about wow more than WH.
Me personally have seen WH once when i went to my mates house, its not big in scotland and generally laughed at where i lived.

Thats why i think more ppl will compare WH with WoW and not, shall i say, the correct way

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
whats to stop me afking in a zone , and getting free xp from everybody elses quests ? :p

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
well thanks for the vids :).
The 2 games are certainly gonna look alot alike (i know Warhammer was way before WoW) thou i never been to much into the cartoonish style or what they call it. Thou the game sounds great from what gets said in the vids so deffenetly gonna try it like i tryed wow...

All the stuff with moral and realm/zone quest sounds really cool, just wanna hear more about the pvp reward system (like arps in daoc). Anybody heard/read anything about that?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Wazkyr said:
well thanks for the vids :).
The 2 games are certainly gonna look alot alike (i know Warhammer was way before WoW) thou i never been to much into the cartoonish style or what they call it. Thou the game sounds great from what gets said in the vids so deffenetly gonna try it like i tryed wow...

All the stuff with moral and realm/zone quest sounds really cool, just wanna hear more about the pvp reward system (like arps in daoc). Anybody heard/read anything about that?

Givf me graphics and rvr stystem of daoc with gameplay of WoW and ill be happy

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Who gives a shit about looks ;x DAoC looks like utter shit (on my pc at least :p), but that doesn't stop it from being fun... (the community does :p)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The 'argument' is, Mythic have copied WoW in their implementation of Warhammer.

Granted, the character models are based on the tabletop. But why does it look so cartoony when Warhammer is meant to be a dark, mature world?

Watch the linked videos and look at the similarities in the interface.

- mini-map in the top-right corner
- Horizontal quick-bars(now called Action Bars) along the bottom of the screen with
- Smaller icons along the bottom to access the inventory, skills, options etc.
- Tooltips give discription of skill/spell on mouseover, I couldn't read but the layout was familiar, down to the yellow text.
- Large health bars for self and target, looking suspiciously like those from WoW

- combat text over characters (-21, Miss, -18...)
- Bar fills as character casts spells.

- Bar fills as you interact with objects (open barrel, pick mushrooms...)
- Quest progress text in the center of the screen (Smash Barrel 1/5)

But I guess Blizzard copied all this from the boardgame aswell.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Escape said:

Granted, the character models are based on the tabletop. But why does it look so cartoony when Warhammer is meant to be a dark, mature world?

- Horizontal quick-bars(now called Action Bars) along the bottom of the screen with
- Tooltips give discription of skill/spell on mouseover, I couldn't read but the layout was familiar, down to the yellow text.
- Large health bars for self and target, looking suspiciously like those from WoW

Because noone (City of heroes) ever came up with (City of heroes) anything like the above (City of heroes) before WoW did ;) and it's not just taken from design of any number of singleplayer rpg games anyway of course...

It's just good UI design, more responsive, more reactive. Which is one of the big things WoW has over daoc at the moment - it's got a friendly interface (e.g. you don't have to scroll through a text window to see your combat damage). DAoC's interface is still pretty much a mud with 3d graphics on top. WoW and by the looks of it WAR's are much more integrated

It probably doesn't help that it's Dwarves and Orcs (mainstays of both games) - once we see the Tzeentch stuff it might start feeling a bit different :)

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Its just a basic UI though .... majority of people will end up useing a custom UI to suite thier needs as they do in WoW, aswell as DAOC.

As said before the general gameplay/controls of WoW was very good. Its just the poor group based PvP (+PvP reward system) and the endless lvl 60 grinding (faction/raiding) that put people off in the end.

Just hope the BG's are and will stay a valid way of leveling up in WAR. One of the majour failings in DAOC was, apart from Thid the BG's were raily used as a way of leveling to 50.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
WARHAMMER LOOKS LIKE WOW ! and wow looks like warhammer...

those things CANNOT be seperate ^^

and flim, when did u become such a roleplayer?:D

Himse

FH is my second home
Who made the MMORPG first!? WoW did! tbh :<

in my opinion the graphics are shit, hopefully the gameplay is much better.

who cares if they are the same as warhammer originally is, imo they should have improved them drastically and given a much nicer looking game.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
ahh I'm a newb, only started back on the 12th print (red box basic rules)

Summer of 83 (when I was 10) I got those as a prezzie from a bunch of nice americans
Took 2 years to find people who could/wanted to play, so I had to make do with FF books and Lone Wolf

From little nerdlings..........

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Im not as old to be around when Warhammer was new n such. but I was also painting my figurines when I was young.
1983 it said in the video didnt it? my year of birth. means its atleast 23 years old. Doubt wow was around by that

And sure its similar to WoW in some ways

but compare this Goblin to the "Booty Bay Bruiser" npcs in WoW and tell me what looks best

gob_ss_03.jpg

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Chimaira said:
but compare this Goblin to the "Booty Bay Bruiser" npcs in WoW and tell me what looks best

gob_ss_03.jpg

Got a screenie of the booty bay bruisers?

Personally I'm hoping there's a bloodbowl arena introduced to warhammer online at some point ;)

Borand

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
Got a screenie of the booty bay bruisers?

Personally I'm hoping there's a bloodbowl arena introduced to warhammer online at some point ;)

Goblinbarono.jpg

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
I'm not sure thats 100% right.

Warhammer the table top game has been around since 1970 odd
There have been plans to make a warhammer MMORPG but as pirkel says, they fell though.
However Gamesworkshop (owners of warhammer) then went to mythic.
WoW is a child compared to how developed the back story for Warhammer is.

Ehm I didn't mean WoW is that game ... but hte original Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was a game that was going to be a Warhammer based game ... the deal didn't come through and Blizzard then released it under that name.

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
Grrr

OK,

everyone needs to understand this.

WARHAMMER, was around LONG LONG before warcraft. (we are talking DECADES!)

WOW.... COPIED... WARHAMMER.

Everyone read the above, digest it, and understand that basic fact.

People need to do some research before they post tbh.

end of story.

/rant from a Warhammer fan off.

/totally flips!:fluffle:

Urgat

Part of the furniture
yup

Glacier said:
/totally flips!:fluffle:

There are three basic facts about warhammer fans...

1 - Warhammer fans are Mammals
2 - Warhammer fans hate pirates.
3 - Warhammer fans can totally flip out for no reason and uppercut your head off!!!!!

-----------

Though seriously...

I think there are two issues here...

1 - The Game world and art
2 - the Gameplay and UI etc.

As far as the artwork goes, i stand by my comment, the warhammer world and it's backstory was around long before blizzard's Azeroth. The similarities are there, but the style of the WH art was there first.

Take the goblin example from above, even if i wasn't a die hard WH fan, the W.A.R. version of the gobbo is about 400 times better than the WoW version IMO.

Now...

After watching the gameplay videos, there is no doubt that the UI and SOme of the game design is similar to WoW.

BUT

This is not a bad thing. I have always maintained that Game Mechanics-wise... WoW has actually dine a good job.

The spellcasting system,
The UI
The questing system
Combat
Fight length.

etc etc

Are all very good in WoW. The game sucks overall because of the lack of end game and the poor implenetation of PvP and group based fighting.

I once said (in response to a question about what would make DAOC better) that all Mythic needed to do, was take the game engine from WoW, and apply it to a game that had DAOC's endgame.

WoW's core game design is far better than DAOC, but unfortunatly playing the game itself is boring tbh.

DAOC's RvR combined with the recent developments in MMO design, will produce a cracking game IMO... and what's more, it will be based in a world that i know intematly and love dearly. (along with many many other people)

Winner imo.

Long live W.A.R.

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
Escape said:

Yes cuz WAR is a new game means it has to have a crappy UI? None of those things you listed are WoW only things and really only make the game better.
WoW have had the best UI so far for a mmo game (imo) so why not steal some ideas? Almost the entire genre is based on ideastealing.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Aiteal said:
mmorpg's and pc's are like Vic and Bob
The complexity of a game like DaoC does not fit very well with a console imho, daoc is about more than just the interface.
Piracy isn't a problem in the mmorpgs genre, although it is in other game genres
When I say 'dumbed down', I was thinking about what happened to SWG.

Where do you get this half arsed idea from? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease the only thing that makes the interface not so console friendly is the fact many people seem to think you will be playing this game on a controller.

They will bring a keyboard out and the interface problem will be solved end of story.

The 360 would run daoc/warhammer better then any computer because it will be built specificly for the 360 and the 360 power concentrating on the game only with no background tasks.

Simply put bringing a highly popular future MMO like WH onto the 360 will only do that game/company and extreme amount of goodness.. more revenue = more staff to make that content we want.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Escape said:

So what your saying is the game should have a crappy UI just to not copy wow.

Hm ok so where do you think WoW got all these ideas from? think about that please.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
So what your saying is the game should have a crappy UI just to not copy wow.

Hm ok so where do you think WoW got all these ideas from? think about that please.

Well said.

Just cause WoW has got it right as far as the UI is concerned doesn't mean that when other games get it right as well they're copying WoW.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Aada said:
Where do you get this half arsed idea from? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease the only thing that makes the interface not so console friendly is the fact many people seem to think you will be playing this game on a controller.

They will bring a keyboard out and the interface problem will be solved end of story.

The 360 would run daoc/warhammer better then any computer because it will be built specificly for the 360 and the 360 power concentrating on the game only with no background tasks.

Simply put bringing a highly popular future MMO like WH onto the 360 will only do that game/company and extreme amount of goodness.. more revenue = more staff to make that content we want.

Yeah, only PC's run background tasks, consoles don't have to worry about that sort of thing :eek7:
There's not a console out there that can beat a top end PC for graphics, memory and processing power.

If you think SWG didnt get dumbed down from the original PC version to be ported to console you are sadly wrong.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Only thing is keep it 20 year old limit orsomething because younger people dont know Warhammah as others do xD.

Scandi kids is teh :kissit: anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom