Warhammer delayed

Gahn

Resident Freddy
It was pretty obvious .. as long as it's needed for the greater good of the game, i got no compliants tho.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Is Q2 2008 really the best time to launch a game? April/May/June hardly seems the ideal time to launch an MMORPG.

Maybe it'll be a nice quiet period where other games aren't launched. Maybe they'll have a slower growth rate instead of just thousands of people in the first couple of months. I'm just slightly concerned that people may play it for a few months, possibly lose interest if they don't play it over summer and don't come back.

On a slightly related subject, has anyone received the October newsletter yet? The news of the delay is supposed to be in that but I haven't received it yet.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
this was so obviously going to happen, everything on the WAR front has been dead to the world for us lately.

Nothing is being hyped or presented, quite concerning when you hear rumours of staff cuts etc (although I do realise how rumours can grow and twist).

Would be nice for some reassurance atm from somebody, I hate saying this, but atm this reminds me of a certain game called Shadowbane.

On the other hand, lets hope things are going well, but they just wanted more time to make the game even better (more presentable to the public). One thing for sure though, WOW and their coming expansion is going to play a major part in peoples minds with this latest twist I reckon).

d34k

Fledgling Freddie
I see this as a positive; they want to release a game that they would be proud to stick their names to and deciding to take more time over it is a fine thing. At work, if I always let deadlines take precedence over quality, I know some clients would be disappointed with the end-product I deliver. Unless lives depend on it (and they rarely do), it's better to take a while a longer and get it right.

If they were delaying it another year, then I might be worried.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
this was so obviously going to happen, everything on the WAR front has been dead to the world for us lately.

Nothing is being hyped or presented, quite concerning when you hear rumours of staff cuts etc (although I do realise how rumours can grow and twist).

Would be nice for some reassurance atm from somebody, I hate saying this, but atm this reminds me of a certain game called Shadowbane.

On the other hand, lets hope things are going well, but they just wanted more time to make the game even better (more presentable to the public). One thing for sure though, WOW and their coming expansion is going to play a major part in peoples minds with this latest twist I reckon).

Don´t worry. They are doing this because they actually listening to the betatesters and make changes after feedback.

I have no worries at all and I welcome the delay.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Face it people, WAR will be released around Christmas 2008, which I am thankful for, should give me enough time to graduate and find a job before I roll into my next game addiction :p

Nate

FH is my second home
DAoC was released here in March or smth right? Doesn't seem too late in the year for an mmorpg(iirc wow was released around the same time, but who cares about wow)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Mark Jacobs has responded to this in a couple of interviews today.

Here's one from Gamespot and another from MMORPG.com.

It is obviously a disappointing that the game will be released later than expected but, as others have said, it's going to be a better game for it. I think we can all think of a few very strong games that launched incomplete or unpolished and as a result suffered a blow from which they never recovered. It's great to see that EA Mythic have taken that on board and aren't going to go down the same road.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Yes thats true, we all know how easy it is to shout 'they released too early....my char is stuck in a hole' (etc).

It was/is just a bit concerning when its timed alongside the rumours of cuts and issues such as never receiving an October mail, which up unitl octoboer had been on the dot.

Certainyl a game that is longer in development should be better for it at release time, my concern is that players will have already gone to games such as conan for example and become entrenched there. Over the years, prime openings appear for new games to hit the market, when certain other competitors are having it rough or have a lot of plyers leaving.

Xmas- march of this year seemed to me to be such a prime opening, many (many x many) are interested in looking elesewhere from the juggernaught that is WOW...but the longer its left, the closer another WOW expasnion is to release also.

Time will prove everyone right/wrong, lets just hope this truly means they are going to be releasing a game worthy of its potential and not just a WOW BG type clone with gamesworkshop fluff.

what they DO need to do imo (bah what do I know ive only been playing mmorpgs 12 years or so) is keep the game in the limelight. for the last month its vanished off the map and when that happens, people DO look at news from other games and say 'ooo that looks good'.

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
DAoC was released here in March or smth right? Doesn't seem too late in the year for an mmorpg(iirc wow was released around the same time, but who cares about wow)

start of february

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yes thats true, we all know how easy it is to shout 'they released too early....my char is stuck in a hole' (etc).

and they still will be come release. thats the sad part of these kinds of games.

it doesent matter how long they push the game to be released in the end. it wont make a diference anyway.

most companies push their release dates just because they have development funds left that they are to greedy to send back.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
what also concerns me is this;

A pos ton here regards QAR being delayed, raises a total of 11 posts in 3 days.

The focus seems entirely off this game in terms of 'whats coming'.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yeah this isnt really where all the ppl go for this game.

theres others and alot bigger forums then this when it comes to warhammer.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Well think activity around WAR have been somewhat declining now after beta.. Theres just so much news you can get out of game developers ;)

Anyways, im planning on using this forum for all WAR related posting when the game launches :p

Cba with too many kids on the more 'popular' boards ;)

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Be right here with you ;)
Yeah not really been checking the WAR forum because tbh....i know there's no real new info except the delay.

Pointed out before, one of the stated reasons for the beta downtime was focus on open world rvr. The date being pushed back is a big positive for me....because then they might actually add something worth Fighting around, rather than sticking 2 sides on an empty field saying 'tough luck, scenarios are full....go pick up some renown' which is what i was afraid was gonna happen.

So yeah, big thumbs up for this news imo!

Votan

Fledgling Freddie
Dismayed at the delay but I do fully understand and support the reasons why it was delayed.

/me goes back to playing some more DAoC

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
REgards RVR.

They have to realise that nobody cares whatsoever about WOW style open RVR targets, such as capture a tower which can be retaken 5 mins later, which adds 5% damage in that zone.

Its pointless and something no1 does more than a few times unelss its some quest.

DAOC had 'epic' RVR targets and rewards. Something worth defending and taking. They need such content in WAR imo.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
REgards RVR.

They have to realise that nobody cares whatsoever about WOW style open RVR targets, such as capture a tower which can be retaken 5 mins later, which adds 5% damage in that zone.

Its pointless and something no1 does more than a few times unelss its some quest.

DAOC had 'epic' RVR targets and rewards. Something worth defending and taking. They need such content in WAR imo.

Like capital cities you mean and being able to siege them for the best loot in the game?

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Depends how they ae handled, if they are a WOW BG, then no.

If its a case of everyone can pile in (a la DAOC relic raid), yes.

Having 50 vs 50 instances for example, isnt RVR, its just plucked out of WOW and called something else.

We will see though, if its a momentous event where everyone feels compelled to go attack/defend, could be amazing.

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
Like capital cities you mean and being able to siege them for the best loot in the game?
[sarcasm] No, that'd be a bad idea because how could you explain that players from their own capital cities can't just buy that loot from the local merchants or something like that. I think we need relics. [/sarcasm]

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Sorry, but the capital city thing doesn't really count...thats the end point of all contribution chain. It's not something that's going to be going on all the time. It's a big instance from what i read....and that i count as a good instance :). We need something for playability for Open World, to make good on the promises of the different styles of RvR play.

Relic's i hate the idea of (Yes i know it was sarcasm, but yeah we're gonna compare it to DAoC so lets squash that idea), but there'd be nothing wrong with fighting for control of a central keep/warcamp....and if your side has enough influence, be able to /claim to control the zone, then all zones need to be controlled to start the instance. That way Scenario's give more contribution, but you need to control Open World keeps, it might balance out. It gives all us Open world players something to fight for, keeping the current 'objective's' they mention.

It's supposed to be in the style of Warhammer....lets literally seize control of a zone by controlling fortifications.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
i think a lot of people will be dissapointed when WAR doesnt turn out to be DAOC2 (in terms of rvr) -

i quite like the big skirmishes idea tho

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Depends how they ae handled, if they are a WOW BG, then no.

If its a case of everyone can pile in (a la DAOC relic raid), yes.

Having 50 vs 50 instances for example, isnt RVR, its just plucked out of WOW and called something else.

We will see though, if its a momentous event where everyone feels compelled to go attack/defend, could be amazing.

Agree, some of my best and worst times in DAOC were hundreds of people RVRing in middie land on Excal sieging keeps all over the place.

The downside was the server death that came with it..

I dont want global instanced RVR for capital city raids I was all out "hand to hand combat" epic battles. I understand aspects will be instanced and thats fine. But the ball kicking all out warfare is what I want.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
i think a lot of people will be dissapointed when WAR doesnt turn out to be DAOC2 (in terms of rvr) -

You'd imagine people would simply watch the blog vids they made about rvr, it's obviously very different from DAoC.

Given that only a relatively small number of people (70k rings a bell) ever played DAoC, and WAR will be likely aiming at WoW figures (upwards of a million most likely), it's likely that such disappointments will pass unnoticed. I'm afraid DAoC players, past and present, represent an infintesimally small portion of the modern mmorpg market.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
and pushing it back will mean it dont collide with WoW expansion, but will let that one be out for a month or two or three.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
You'd imagine people would simply watch the blog vids they made about rvr, it's obviously very different from DAoC.

Given that only a relatively small number of people (70k rings a bell) ever played DAoC, and WAR will be likely aiming at WoW figures (upwards of a million most likely), it's likely that such disappointments will pass unnoticed. I'm afraid DAoC players, past and present, represent an infintesimally small portion of the modern mmorpg market.

But, even though WOW is a massive game (and yes I have played it loads), its very much recognised that WOWs PVP is utter shit.

I worry for WAR if they are basing a RVR games PVP on WOWs Bg's.

Cmon, lets face it, they are either

a- going for a clone dressed as somethign else.
b- seriously detached and dont realise how shit the BGs system is as a base for RVR.
c - realising that BGs are crap and working on improving. If WAR turns out to be a WOW BG based game, it wont last, WOW will 'outwow' it.

Nate

FH is my second home
You seem to be forgetting all the other types of RvR mentioned that are based in WAR.

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
*Chuckles* the reason people forget is cos all we've heard about really in regards to WAR pvp is Scenarios, with a vague 'oh yeah - open world rvr exists too....we got objectives you can capture that then don't increase any contribution'..(ok yeah that's paraphrased, but that's basically what was said.)

So the objectives....they are checkpoints then....doesn't exactly scream 'Warhammer' to me, or a reason to RvR. I'm trying hard not to draw parallels between WAR PvP and WoW 'PvP' but it will be done.

To all those who say btw that WAR is aimed at WoW players....8.5 million people before did not play MMO's...8.5 million played WoW. Therefore 8 million of them are not MMO players, they are WoW players. Half of these may never play a MMO again, Mythic would have to be a lot dumber than they are to alienate an existing customer base totally in exchange for a very unreliable one. They fail to draw in the PvE masses of WoW in that case, the game is a total flop. I don't think its so unrealistic to expect they might actually wanna make sure ex DAoC people wanna play the game, and they've surely had enough feedback from people saying 'BG's suck...don't only focus on those'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom