War of the Worlds

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Or perhaps they were buried at the mantle.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
In the book the Martian's launch the machines at the earth, rather like missiles. No spoiler tags 'cos I'm talking about the *book* :p

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Jardar said:
healm

Flawed vapor essence jewel

Precious dusty war spell stone

Uncut airy essence jewel

Raw blood essence jewel

Hands

Imperfect airy war spell stone

Rough heated shielding jewel

Flawed icy shielding jewel

Precious dusty war spell stone

boots

Imperfect airy battle jewel

Raw blood essence jewel

Polished icy war spell stone

Leggings

Uncut airy essence jewel

Uncut watery shielding jewel

Uncut fiery essence jewel

Imperfect watery shielding jewel

sleeevs

Flawed earthen essence jewel

Rough airy essence jewel

Uncut fiery essence jewel

Uncut icy shielding jewel

BOdy

Raw blood essence jewel

Flawed light shielding jewel

Uncut airy essence jewel

Rough vapor essence jewel

It's not complete. Must be a joke :)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Not as good as I was expecting. It started well, but the focus should've been wider. It needed another perspective to show how the military were reacting.

There was only one battle scene(when the son went up the hill) which didn't show much. You saw the tanks firing shells, then you saw the tanks on fire...

Trilogy?? Earth invades Mars and a probe gets jammed?

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
The Trilogy thing comes from that was the original intention and Tom is signed on to make a Trilogy to make an estimated $400 million. Tom has mentioned it a few times as well in press conferences before the release, it could of been the original intention of the publishers / distributors but whether it still is another matter.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
Saw it last night and I did enjoy it.

The usual happy hollywood ending annoyed me a touch though, how his son survived the huge fireball on the hill is anyones guess.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
saw it - enjoyed it - but pissed off at the lack of the "Thunderchild"

Clown

Part of the furniture
Bruce Willis is dead!
It was good until he met Tim Robins and then it just got strange and abrupt.

Meatballs

One of Freddy's beloved
Nos said:
Saw it last night and I did enjoy it.

The usual happy hollywood ending annoyed me a touch though, how his son survived the huge fireball on the hill is anyones guess.

Not just the fact that the son survived, but the grandparents and mum, and stepdad all survive by hiding out in their home? WTF!

Why do they need humans to make those root/tendril stuff? Surely any mammals would do, and they'd be better off farming cows from when they landed the tripods...

Why did they wait till Tom Cruise was getting sucked up before they decided to band together in the storage container in the tripod?

Why did the tripod have its shields down near the end? Just because alien was dieing why turn em off? :p

What kind of idiot gets in a car after he sees the previous occupants get beaten the fuck out of. Who drives into a crowd of people in the first place? :(

[/rant]
I thought the floating jackets/pants in the lazer scene was torso/legs floating off as they got zapped in half. I laughed at the floating dead bodies scene :)

I thought it was funny how Tim Robbins was still digging holes 10 years on...

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Good film. Only the one 'Tom Cruise To The Rescue!' moment, so we did well.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Meatballs said:
Why did they wait till Tom Cruise was getting sucked up before they decided to band together in the storage container in the tripod?

Because the soldier also in that basket noticed the belt of Grenades that Cruise had.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Watched it tonight.

Was ok, really did enjoy the tripods tho. Just how I imagine them whenever I listen to the music.

I know it maybe just me but the film would have been at least 50% better to me had the Jeff Wayne score been blaring out at various points in the film :)

Ending was awful. No really it is. Oh, let's see how fast we can end the film, say 5 mins?

First 20 or so minutes of the film was the best part, up till he was mobile. Then it was ok.

The tim robbins bit was the equivalent of the Curate in the book, was a bit shit tbh and they shoulda done the Curate as the religious people would have been out in their droves. Come to think of it, I never saw one religious person spouting their beliefs. Cool :)

I would rate this as a below average spielburk film that seemed very rushed in places.

Oh, where are the "spoiler" tags? :p Ain't spoiled anything :p

The lightening brought the aliens, did we not pick them up on our "holy fuck, something is coming to collide with the earth" warning system?

The boy surviving the hill battle was a fucking joke

The family all being alive at the end was just bollox

Why did the tripod swim underwater instead of just walking across the river? Did it want to suprise them?

The eye on a stalk that looked in the cellar, um was it only sight? no infrared, electromagnetic detection? Christ, the aliens were so so advanced yet couldn't detect life forms mere feet away from them? Bollox!

I could go on and on but it will be no use, the HollyWood arsekissers will only come up with shit answers on a postcard ...............

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I think it was an entertaining film. There's holes galore to pick in it but at the end of the day it's just a B-movie and since when have those been water-tight?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Deebs said:
First 20 or so minutes of the film was the best part, up till he was mobile. Then it was ok.

I thought the scariest part was when they approached the ferry in the vehicle. You can just imagine people acting and reacting like that, which is what makes it scary.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Just finished watching it. Agree that the ending seemed very rushed, it finished in about 3 minutes from what I could tell.

Otherwise an OK film, not a brilliant film though, like it could've been.

Also agree that Wayne's music should've been in there for atmosphere, but as it was there was very little incidental music throughout the film.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
OK entertainment, nothing big.
Could have skipped that dang annoying girl tho ;(

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Well, ignoring the holes, I think this and Sin City are my favourites of the year so far. It had me on the edge of my seat for most of it.
Tbh, the most worrying part was when those people were in the cages and got sucked up into those...arseholes?

Sar

Part of the furniture
Holy
giant comedy sphincters
Batman!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Saw it tonight, my verdict:

"Good"

That is all. It was a good adaptation of an old story, you knew what was coming so all you could really do was "ooh" and "ahh" at the effects and the scary noises/machines. The ending was rushed, but that's exactly what happens; the just start to die.

I think I preferred Independance Day.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Bump an old thread.

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds is being performed live in the UK this month, in Newcastle tomorrow, around the country, but showing at the O2 in London on December 22nd, with tickets on online sale on 8am December 10th (this Monday).

Anyone going for this ? And any tips for online grabbing of tickets. I was lucky enough to get some Springsteen tickets for May 2008 at face value by going online at the right time, literally got them just before the ticketmaster website went tits-up, all sold out 30 minutes later !

A taster:
YouTube - Jeff Wayne - War of the worlds (Live) (Eve of the war)
[youtubevid]W8JLqsbK5V0[/youtubevid]

Apologies if this is a Glen.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
I bought my tickets in January for the O2 venue, they arrived 3 days ago :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom