War of the Worlds

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC

The film is astounding, I was physically shaking from the point they appeared I have never been affected like that by a Movie.

Only reason I can explain why it affected me and the others I was with is it just looks REAL. Spielberg has done an amazing Job, the effects are there but they are not to dazzle you just to tell the story and given they were done 7 months or so its amazing.

Also the acting is pretty good as well which was very supprising.

The only thing that has me is given the ending how is it going to be a trilogy. Guess it turns into a proper war than a slaughter where we have learn't there technology when they reinvade. If so could end up being like the Matrix.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Gah to late to edit it.

Also to add DO NOT TAKE UNDER 12's to see this it really does need to be a 15 and could well see some kind of backlash given its rating.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I enjoyed the movie, good beginning, really good middle but so-so ending, there were a couple of points that took away from the film for me.

Spielbergs reluctance to kill characters, specifically the protaganists son, after all the hoohar about him not leaving the family he goes and runs off into the fray anyway, cue big explosions and the dramatic mojo. Then he turns up at the end all happy and alive, Spielberg needs to be a little braver at times, killing off extras and minor characters is all well and good, but why and how did that son live?

Also after the lightning disabled all the electronics, how was the guy with the camcorder able to use it? I doubt it was a simple case of replacing the battery because some other character tried changing the battery of a car and that didn't appear to work

Meh, still enjoyable.

Didn't know it's supposed to be part of a trilogy though? Are movie studios becoming more obsessed with them or something? 0o

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
FuzzyLogic said:
Spielbergs reluctance to kill characters, specifically the protaganists son, after all the hoohar about him not leaving the family he goes and runs off into the fray anyway, cue big explosions and the dramatic mojo. Then he turns up at the end all happy and alive, Spielberg needs to be a little braver at times, killing off extras and minor characters is all well and good, but why and how did that son live?

Also after the lightning disabled all the electronics, how was the guy with the camcorder able to use it? I doubt it was a simple case of replacing the battery because some other character tried changing the battery of a car and that didn't appear to work

The camcorder is easy EMP pulse does not go through everything light lead sheilding or LOTS of objects in the way will stop it so if the camcorder was in a draw or cupboard and buried under stuff or in a safe theres a good chance it will survive. Also the device not being turned on at the time of the pulse strongly increases its chance of survival.

As to the Kid... its Hollywood they always have to have a happy ending. FFS Even Revenge of the Sith can sort of be seen as a happy ending despite you knowing what happens. Happy endings sell.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Lots of lovely black boxes....wonderful :)

PS Now I see ;)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Okay I'll try not to give too much away.

It was bloody brilliant.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I didn't like the way that basically changed nothing was changed from the original book, apart from the focus, and it being updated. I mean these 'martians' were supposed to have been studying us for some time, so why didn't they know about chemical and biological weapons, and hence avoid the deus ex machina ending?

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
inactionman said:
I didn't like the way that basically changed nothing was changed from the original book, apart from the focus, and it being updated. I mean these 'martians' were supposed to have been studying us for some time, so why didn't they know about chemical and biological weapons, and hence avoid the deus ex machina ending?

The common explanation is they removed all hostile Bacteria / virus from there environment long time ago and forgot all about them. Always liked the old WotW ending as is one of the few stories where nobody saves the day just the aliens fuck up.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Ukle said:
The common explanation is they removed all hostile Bacteria / virus from there environment long time ago and forgot all about them. Always liked the old WotW ending as is one of the few stories where nobody saves the day just the aliens fuck up.

Yes, but if they were studying us, they would have known that they exist, particularly during the holocaust, and the later 20th century. The US in particular has large stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons that they don't tell anyone about! It's simple things like this that spoil movies for me. The deus ex machina ending works when it's set at the end of the 19th century, it doesn't work when it's set now (it just makes no sense), as we use biological weapons, and hence the 'martians' should know about them.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's what I had trouble with. At the end of the day, if you're super intelligent - you don't just go to a planet and drink the water without making sure it's safe for you to do so. I just thought that seemed a bit tough to accept tbh. Otherwise, I enjoyed it.

Did anyone else find the way the aliens killed people really creepy? *zzzzzzzzzzz* *poooof* :\

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
nath said:
Did anyone else find the way the aliens killed people really creepy? *zzzzzzzzzzz* *poooof* :\

Fucked up thing is thats real sort of, the same effect happens to us and any organic matter when a Neutron bomb hits as all the Hydrogen in us goes unstable instantly and we get turned into dust.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've not seen it yet, but:

You're not fucking telling me they've changed it from bacteria/germs killing them to something else? Oh jeez... also, how does modern weaponry not work against them, surely not "shields"?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:

You're not fucking telling me they've changed it from bacteria/germs killing them to something else? Oh jeez... also, how does modern weaponry not work against them, surely not "shields"?

Yup - why, how did it work in the previous ones?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Big G said:

No, they haven't changed much at all, certainly not the deus ex machina ending. The problem, even taking the shields into account (which are used), they basically changed nothing but the focus and the time period. It's basically the same as the book (including the boat scene), we don't even see/hear about any nukes being used on the 'martians'. You can tell it was a shallow film done in a rush, as they haven't updated it to reflect the fundamental technological differences between the 19th and 21st centurys! My main problem is that biological organisms were not used as weapons in the 19th century, they are now. So any alien invader would compensate for this. Particularly if they use bio-tech to the extent that the 'martians' seemed to.

Suffice to say I won't be getting the DVD, and I'm glad I watched it with my unlimited card!

old.user4556

nath said:
Yup - why, how did it work in the previous ones?

iirc (i could be wrong) there were no shields in the original Victorian WotW, just that we had shit weapons? I feel that an original Victorian remake could have made a more terrifying film, although i've yet to go see the Spielberg version.

old.user4556

Just found this on another forum:

Think about this........... with the shields dilemma, if the tri-pods were strictly 100 foot tall fighting machines like the original novel suggests, than any thing we have would knock them off their feet. Someone said it earlier, military technology has progressed since the original text. If there were no shields, we could take them out easy enough. No drama, just send them packing back to Mars. What fun would that be?

Would make a quick and unentertaining film I suppose ;)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Dont you think overanalysing a film like this is pointless? Its just a very good B movie.

old.user4556

Quite probably, I just wondered how much Spielberg was going to twist it to fit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I thought it was very good. The death ray was bloody frightening, I was scared witless by that.

As for the ending, well I can't imagine that Martians have quite the same thought processes as Humans, can you?

Whats all this about a trilogy?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It's entirely possible to come up with explanations as to why the ending works but I found it a little hard to stomach.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
I liked it, the ending felt a little rushed "oh shit we are running out of time quick end it".

Its nice to see they kept the ending true to the book, I was worried about an independance day type ending. We also only see the american flag once which makes a change with this type of movie, even if there were 6 of them :).

it didnt feel much like a war though, the fighting scenes were good but it could have done with more of them.

I dont know about a trilogy but they could have easily made this a 2 parter, like the Musical Version and I guess like the book as that has a clear half way point.

Only another year to go and we will see Jeff Waynes CGI version :).

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Woulda been kinda cool to see thousands of people and tanks and the like fighting the machine but still, loved the movie how it is. :D

Jardar

Fledgling Freddie
healm

Flawed vapor essence jewel

Precious dusty war spell stone

Uncut airy essence jewel

Raw blood essence jewel

Hands

Imperfect airy war spell stone

Rough heated shielding jewel

Flawed icy shielding jewel

Precious dusty war spell stone

boots

Imperfect airy battle jewel

Raw blood essence jewel

Polished icy war spell stone

Leggings

Uncut airy essence jewel

Uncut watery shielding jewel

Uncut fiery essence jewel

Imperfect watery shielding jewel

sleeevs

Flawed earthen essence jewel

Rough airy essence jewel

Uncut fiery essence jewel

Uncut icy shielding jewel

BOdy

Raw blood essence jewel

Flawed light shielding jewel

Uncut airy essence jewel

Rough vapor essence jewel

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It was so well made, visually stunning. But I felt NOTHING, not a damn about any of the characters. I wasn't bored, but I didnt care what happened either. Signs was better than this.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
How did a DAoC poster manage to get here and post that of ALL places is beyond me..

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
Ukle said:
Gah to late to edit it.

Also to add DO NOT TAKE UNDER 12's to see this it really does need to be a 15 and could well see some kind of backlash given its rating.

I agree. This film is not for kids under that age of 15. I was bit shocked at times and I'm over 30 :D

Cyradix

FH is my second home
I haven't read the book, but what is bothering me is : the aliens buried the machines a long time ago right? Why?? If they wanted to take over the planet why not do it then? Why wait all this time and attack earth when mankind has developed "powerfull" weapons?

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Ixoth said:
I agree. This film is not for kids under that age of 15. I was bit shocked at times and I'm over 30 :D

There were adverts about smoking having an effect on your penis, very nice use of words when there could be sub 12's in there :p

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Cyradix said:
I haven't read the book, but what is bothering me is : the aliens buried the machines a long time ago right? Why?? If they wanted to take over the planet why not do it then? Why wait all this time and attack earth when mankind has developed "powerfull" weapons?

Supposidly to harvest the humans. Tbh most things in the story make sense apart from the whole machines buried bit, if they were buried long how come nobody has stumbled across one? The only explanation that i can think of is if they were being built by nanobots or something shortly before the attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom