[QUESTION] war-europe.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudds

Fledgling Freddie
Signed up a long time ago for WAR? That account should work - hope you remember the password :)

I think it does, but it says the authentication servers are temporarily down, didn't know whether they'd just wiped everything and they were expecting everyone to re-register...but then that would conflict with people who were in closed beta, but then....oh i give up Friday nights weren't designed for thinking :twak:

mrbandersnatch

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, they already have traffic on their website for more than there are open beta keys out there.
Or atleast that was the story yesterday.. I dont know how the extra 50k keys will effect that or if it was taken into account.

The problem with that "story" is that the War-Europe (WE) site is primarily static (even the flash). I could probably put together a server farm with that sort of capacity in an afternoon (assuming bandwidth to support it...and I mean an afternoon with a team working on it rather than on my todd).

The authentication process is a different ballgame all-together and that ****** flash front end to the website doesn't give me much confidence that their web-team has a clue. Usually an "app" like (authentication) that is supported by some form of scripting language and tied to a middle-tier which connects to the DB. If ANY part of that isnt up to the job it ALL falls over.

Touch wood they are just copying Mythics system which will be getting its test a few days earlier but Im so used to seeing massive cock-ups and incompetence in the MMORPG space that Im attuned to expect the worst.

Roll on Sunday.

Dredge

Fledgling Freddie
Touch wood they are just copying Mythics system

Well they will have to to an extent due to the database code driving the accounts within WAR being identical to the Mythic/US one. So making their own account front end solution to link to it would be a very very silly idea.

The complaints have not only been about the site being able to handle the massive influx of people in one go. The problem is of course..if there are problems. The US CE people have already had compaints about invalid codes, EA has repeatedly had issues with invalid codes on other games, if someones pre-ordered CE/SE are not accepted, thats going to take DAYS to sort out.

Libh

Fledgling Freddie
Many of you may be wondering what to do with your open beta key also. Before the servers open on Sunday we will open the validation page and you will be able to complete your preparations for the start of the open beta. We will of course post an update to let you know the moment the page is available.

so they are probably opening up for registration tomorrow. :)

Padraig

Fledgling Freddie
GoA obviously see the accounts page as part of the open beta process and something to be tested then.

I agree that Sunday morning will be the the most likely time for it to be available.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
It will be fine. Lay off the caffeine folks.

Doubt it myself, but as I'm going to be in Albania tomorrow for the next week it doesn't much matter to me. If I can find a place with electricity AND internet access I'll be reading the feedback with interest ;)

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
personally i think they should wait not given out any free keys until monday, let the pre order customers get in and settled first

Lol, just lol...

I'm a pre order customer as I suspect many of the OB key users are..

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
Lol, just lol...

I'm a pre order customer as I suspect many of the OB key users are..
and? you realise they have gave out almost as many keys as there are CE editions printed?
i have a feeling the site is going to get hammered to much and theres going to be alot of people unable to load the page or the server will just timeout :X

especially when they are leaving it so late, if theres any problems they arent leaving themselfs much time to sort them out or much time for possible congestion on the site to die down.

USA open beta starts in 20hours 50minutes i assume ours starts then to

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
I'm sure that GOA have invested considerably in the hardware for this, so hopefully this won't happen *crosses fingers*

they said somewhere they invested 9 million euro in new hardware and have a new brand new data center center in l`ille.

9 million euro, that should be enough for some state of the art hardware, connection to the internet (goa being a subdivision of france telecom, i asume they are plugged in to the backbone) and a impresive coffee machine.

i`m confident they`ll be able to cope with a few 10 000 people trying to get online on sunday at 1300.

a few 10 000`s will be nothing compared to the official release day where there might be half a million people trying the same thing ;)

rynnor

Rockhound
Lets be clear here - Open beta is largely a load test or it would be longer and more in advance of the retail release.

As a part of the testing they would want to simulate the impact of many people registering at the same time as will happen in retail so that they can carry out any required fine tuning.

If they had opened for registration too early they would not have had sufficient peak demand to match retail - simple as that I reckon.

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
Lets be clear here - Open beta is largely a load test or it would be longer and more in advance of the retail release.

As a part of the testing they would want to simulate the impact of many people registering at the same time as will happen in retail so that they can carry out any required fine tuning.

If they had opened for registration too early they would not have had sufficient peak demand to match retail - simple as that I reckon.

Nail, head, hit probably.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie

Guess that's why Mythic need to .... oh wait.

And opening several critical systems at once is a bad idea from a software testing point of view. Means more potential problems to fix within a given time.

Load test of Account Center would have been as beneficial if they'd been a week earlier instead of their current plans, plus allowing for a grace period of time to fix problems before it all would be needed. The more time they have waited now, have also brought them closer to the Head Start and live. Where they truly can not afford to mess up. Open Beta mess up is perhaps more allowable, despite the poor planning, but Head Start is not.

No matter the spin, this looks like poor planning. At least I hope it is planning and not because of technical difficulties.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
9 million euro, that should be enough for some state of the art hardware, connection to the internet (goa being a subdivision of france telecom, i asume they are plugged in to the backbone) and a impresive coffee machine.

They use opentransit or, lovingly known as opentranshit. Well, they did do anyway for daoc. If they still do then expect quite a few whine posts and pingplotter reports for people not being able to connect or getting lagged to hell. Who knows, maybe they might of fixed it... then again I saw pigs flying overhead last night.

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
No matter the spin, this looks like poor planning. At least I hope it is planning and not because of technical difficulties.

I don't know if it is poor planning or technical difficulties but it is piss poor customer relations. GOA could have explained what was going to happen and why on their excuse for a web site weeks ago. The only reason this thread even exists is because GOA do not give a donkeys droppings about their customers. Their attitude seems to be that we will find out eventually what is going to happen, possibly after it happens, from one or other of the fan sites if we trawl around enough.

With every day that passes they seem to be going out of their way to reinforce the reputation they got in DAOC - and that is not a compliment if anyone from GOA happens to see this.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
They use opentransit or, lovingly known as opentranshit. Well, they did do anyway for daoc. If they still do then expect quite a few whine posts and pingplotter reports for people not being able to connect or getting lagged to hell. Who knows, maybe they might of fixed it... then again I saw pigs flying overhead last night.

no more drinks for you then if you saw pigs fly ;p

and seeing pigs fly is not THAT bad, it`s only if you start seeing 4 gigantic dudes on skeletal horse race across a sky that`s turned blood red that something might really be going wrong ;) haven`t seen those last time i looked outside ;)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Starting to get a bad feeling for the past 4 hours when i checked the Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning wont load at all, just stand on chugging then, get a window saying cannot connect. :) So guess they are under heavy stress.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
and? you realise they have gave out almost as many keys as there are CE editions printed?
i have a feeling the site is going to get hammered to much and theres going to be alot of people unable to load the page or the server will just timeout :X

especially when they are leaving it so late, if theres any problems they arent leaving themselfs much time to sort them out or much time for possible congestion on the site to die down.

USA open beta starts in 20hours 50minutes i assume ours starts then to

Welcome to a Beta!!. Thats why they have them.

Remember, above all the beta is for you to feed back to GOA/Mythic issues you find in the game or the log on process or char creation or whatever, its not specifically for you to get to play it first. And certainly not for people to whine and complain that the game isnt what they expected.

Complain when you have a reason to. I find it amazing that peoples lives revolve around this. Sure people have been waiting for years for it, but dont slag it off until you got reason..

stoff75

Fledgling Freddie
I agree on an intelligent level that yeah, we shouldn't diss it if it doesnt live up to expectations tomorrow and say "you ruined the internet!" if it doesn't... but unfortunately the disappointment of other betas, most recently for me Hellgate, is fresh in memory when the beta was such a huge disappointment and the only thing we heard when giving feedback was "will be better in the retail!" and when the retail came it was still as sucky and buggy :(

But yeah, try to refrain from emotial outburst until we've seen the real product and remember, this is only a stress test and "things we have to incorporate in our first patch!" trial...

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Guess that's why Mythic need to .... oh wait.

And opening several critical systems at once is a bad idea from a software testing point of view. Means more potential problems to fix within a given time.

Load test of Account Center would have been as beneficial if they'd been a week earlier instead of their current plans, plus allowing for a grace period of time to fix problems before it all would be needed. The more time they have waited now, have also brought them closer to the Head Start and live. Where they truly can not afford to mess up. Open Beta mess up is perhaps more allowable, despite the poor planning, but Head Start is not.

Final load testing approx two weeks from release is ok, load can be simulated with testing software easily...just remember you're beta testing it, not playing it for real !

This larger scale open beta factors in the human quotient nothing more

rynnor

Rockhound
Final load testing approx two weeks from release is ok, load can be simulated with testing software easily...just remember you're beta testing it, not playing it for real !

This larger scale open beta factors in the human quotient nothing more

Yep - no doubt they have used automated testing tools to stress test the various components but nothing beats letting real users in to test it.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Got in from work a few mins ago. Ran the WAR client to make sure it was patched. Took about 2 mins to update, ho hassle at all. Logged in fine, just no servers available (of course).

Now for some sleep so I can play a bit this afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in there :)

stoff75

Fledgling Freddie
It's up... too bad the "please copy the characters in this image" still generates an error :=) Gah!
Edit : And its down again...

Lawoos

Fledgling Freddie
Now I can acces the registration. But then it comes to "Please copy the characters in the image.", but the image isn't working, so can't write anything there :S Anyone else having this problem?

edit: ah, just noticed more people got the same :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom