Wanting to quit from mmorpgs but...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
...single player games simply don't provide that same social aspect you get with mmorpgs. But I just can't afford to stick 10+ hours into each level & have to do the boring pve to get to the good stuff etc.

I'm guessing others' have faced this same problem. Minus moving to freeshard US DAoC, how did you overcome this 'dilemma'?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
By realising that you're not meant to level up ASAP and gather all the lootz.

Have fun with the time, have fun with the game, or quit.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I was a heavy WoW addict for a few years, got so bad that I wanted to finish work early to go play some battlegrounds, even got to neglecting my friends at times :(. Luckily I got so pissed off with the game and it's players mostly I decided to cross over to Warhammer, but as that just turned out to be such a waste of a good name and some personal problems in my life I quit that too and went cold turkey.
Talk about stumbling out into the world from a darkened room (quite literally) it was like leaving the vault in fallout 3. I seriously believe mmorpgs should come with a social warning, the damage they can do to a person is almost as bad as drugs in some respects.

I sometimes get yearnings to level something up, however I keep it all under control with a return to my first online gaming experience, fps. MW2 is my poison atm. :clap:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I seriously believe mmorpgs should come with a social warning, the damage they can do to a person is almost as bad as drugs in some respects.

they are only bad if you have an addictive personality :) "sane" ppl can do quite well doing both mmo's and real life stuff :p

me on the other hand have forgotten what real life is :)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
find a more casual mmo to play, they dont all require you to pour 10 hours a day into them, i am a massive mmo whore been playing them since daoc really which i poured huge amounts of time into. atm theres fuck all decent mmo's out that interest me so i have gone back to daoc on a freeshard server and i am lovin it.

failing that if you cant find a mmo you like, try online multiplayer games like fps etc, log in play for a few hours chat with friends then when ya done you log off :) ive gone through this phase myself and it usually works (l4d2 is fantastic for this)

if your desperate to lvl then play call of duty or company of heroes where you can lvl up your char in a basic way etc

theres something addictive about goin up the ranks you just got to get the next one.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
get a console PS3 or xbox and play online. You interact with people and chat to them. And its pick up and play

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I seriously believe mmorpgs should come with a social warning, the damage they can do to a person is almost as bad as drugs in some respects.

This.

And thinking, "oh I will just play a little bit" wont work either I tried that on the US servers, planning on playing a couple of hours here and there, soon I had 4 50s templated and it was pushing RR5. I fucked it off again a month or so back before it got out of hand again.

Dabbling in EvE now though :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I have an addictive personality and was very into WoW for a few years, however something changed. I still play but can put the game down or not log in at all for days.... I still love the social aspect of the game, but it will still be there if you dont log in for a few days :)

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus

Go on Scouse what you trying to say?

Are you somehow being grammar police or do you disagree?

I don't think you have to have an addictive personality to become hooked on these games. I once physically stopped a friend of mine from making a character on WoW because I knew he was the sort of person who had a lot to lose if he became addicted. He became a casual gamer to take his mind off his girlfriend cheating on him and had been watching me and Stazbumpa play for months so decided he wanted to have a go but I wouldn't let him.

I'd almost compare mmos to when you first discovered masturbation, you know you probably shouldn't but it feels so good you're going to anyway.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
you know you probably shouldn't

Why not :eek7:

ANyway, i agree with the notion that it's not the games.

MMOs are quite crap as games.

"1 2 1 2 1 move 1 2 1 2 ding 1 2 1 2"

If you get addicted, it's your problem, not the games.

I've been playing more L4D2 then i've ever played a MMO in two weeks, but then again i don't have anything else to do :p

Bet the Santamas vacation is going to be easy though, as while i get addicted(play alot), i can also walk away at any given time. I'm a casual addict :D

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
mtg now that was addictive , mmo's i consider my rehab :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Go on Scouse what you trying to say?

Thought it was pretty clear. It's not the mmo "doing" it to you, it's you doing it to yourself.

And before you think I'm jumping on the "you're all wankers" bandwagon - I used to play warcraft a lot myself. Too much. For a long time...

...but in the end I gave up - because I realised what I was doing to myself.

Warcraft isn't physically addictive.

I'd almost compare mmos to when you first discovered masturbation, you know you probably shouldn't but it feels so good you're going to anyway.

I disagree with this. Wank away. There's nothing wrong with it. MMO's on the other hand....

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I stopped playing WoW cos it was shit.

I went off MMOs when you stopped being able to feel the database in the background, same reason I am going off Football Manager. Guess I just have a hard on for numbers.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i played daoc hard core for years. one day someone scammed me out of a coin transfer from one server to the other so i deleted everything and gradually quit.

now one of my pet hates is having to sit inside the house, but i cant find enough to do atm to be out enough!

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I did, and always will, love Dark Age of Camelot. But the more your play MMOGs the more you realise they are not the greatest genre of computer games, and you are kept playing by a false sense of accomplishment rather than genuine enjoyment of the game itself.

Find other things in your life to enjoy and to genuinely succeed at, be it your love life, your career or your education and find people in the real world to befriend and spend time with.

The best thing about skilling up in real life is that you don't have to pay anybody a monthly subscription or keep downloading the updates. However if you would like to send me £10 a month I will begrudgingly accept your contribution.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
If you're finding MMORPGs boring, then you're in a perfect position in my opinion!

Why are you considering moving to other MMORPGs? If you're playing with friends then you're likely to get addicted again, as this is the main thing which is fun with each game. If you're playing on your own then you're likely to get bored quickly.

If you do go to another MMORPG you'll realise it's just the same thing over and over again. Rush to the maximum level so you can do something (even though you miss out a huge chunk of content whilst levelling), then play the "end-game" (maximum level content), then get bored. Repeat the whole thing with your next MMORPG.

Personally I wonder if MMORPGs have a future in what's already a saturated market. Players flock from their old MMORPG to the new one as it's going to be the latest and greatest thing which lasts forever. New MMORPG is missing content because it was rushed, it's full of bugs, so you end up quitting - ready to move onto the next MMORPG which is obviously going to kill your old one.

Chat with people on forums, play games which are more social and don't require hours of investment (L4D2 for example).

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well, Turamber and Greaper will know well that I played DAOC from launch and was heavily involved for a number of years. I loved that time, but I think it was because it was so new and fresh. I also played WoW and Warhammer but simply did not get the same fun from them, and so now I find myself just playing more casual FPS games online for laffs... very badly, too :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
I did it and ban myself from playing any of them in the future. Cold turkey is what you need. Do it, dont let it fuck your life up - as they surely will.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Just to note -

I'm not addicted.
They haven't and won't fuck my life up.

I just know half the time I only play them for the people who play them, not for the actual game value itself. I was looking into a Xbox 360 or PS3; maybe when I have some extra cash floating about but the cost of buying games etc. soon ramps up. Mmmorpgs are a 8-9 quid investment each month & thats that...

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
same with me really, I switched to something more "casual" and now play LOTRO.

I've only got 1 char still, and he's lvl47 atm and I just potter about. Looking forward to seeing Moria, got a few peeps in game to chat to and thats about it when I dip in for an hour or to.

no crazy level grind, no pvp kit grinding, just scenery, nice group game play and as Bugz says £8 a month, cheaper than picking up a new game every month.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I just know half the time I only play them for the people who play them, not for the actual game value itself.

Have you considered voice coms?

We did this a long while back(and some do it all the time), people played several different games and kept the social aspect via chat rooms.

If you have seeral friends in an MMO, chances are that some of them have a chat for this purpose and many are open for it.

rynnor

Rockhound
I still try new MMO's but none seem to grab my attention for long - I seem to have lost the ability to get hooked on one these days.

I am currently playing Fallen Earth tho and its fun for a few hours then I get bored and do something else - seems like a good balance :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
MMO's is all about the people you play with. If I was to log in my long expired WoW account, I'd see people I played DAOC with 8 years ago.

Anyway, the only way to beat MMO addiction is cold turkey and replacement activity. I found joining a Floorball team a good replacement - still had teamwork and social interaction as the main parts, got me fit too, and it isn't too serious.

Failing that, buy Europa Universalis 3, install the Magna Mundi Platinum 2 mod, and you're good.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Try playing a fps that requires skill, you'll still get the community bit but you get to play a game too :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Try playing a fps that requires skill, you'll still get the community bit but you get to play a game too :)

soz Throdlar, but here I must disagree: an RPG, and perhaps especially an MMORPG requires just as much skill as something like CSS, it's just a different kind of game. What you're doing is comparing Darts and Bowling mateor :)

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Thought it was pretty clear. It's not the mmo "doing" it to you, it's you doing it to yourself.

And before you think I'm jumping on the "you're all wankers" bandwagon - I used to play warcraft a lot myself. Too much. For a long time...

...but in the end I gave up - because I realised what I was doing to myself.

Warcraft isn't physically addictive.

I disagree with this. Wank away. There's nothing wrong with it. MMO's on the other hand....

Its not physically addictive, but there is A LOT of things thats not physically addictive that have a history of a lot of people. Its all about the psychology, and MMOs and I guess WoW in particular have made a proper achievement to build its whole game around this psychological addiciveness. While I agree its you doing it to yourself, you cant say WoW or MMOs is not addictive, cus thats partly the point of them.

Lethul

FH is my second home
...single player games simply don't provide that same social aspect you get with mmorpgs. But I just can't afford to stick 10+ hours into each level & have to do the boring pve to get to the good stuff etc.

I'm guessing others' have faced this same problem. Minus moving to freeshard US DAoC, how did you overcome this 'dilemma'?

Hm, just stop playing them for a while. Pick up a few good singleplayer/none-mmo games and you will notice they are much more enjoyable as games. The social aspects are better ways of doing than through a computer :p

Thats what I did at least. Playing the odd Dragon Age, Civ etc games. Can't say I never feel the urge to level a DAoC char.

Then again I was not that addicted at the end. I played my groups set times. Never logged on to solo or anything pretty much. So 3-4 hours 3-4 nights a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom