Want Help?

E

Embattle

If you're requesting some help you can speed up the process by providing your system specification.

T

Trem

I do have a question(i did ask in another thread)
i have a p4 1.8,radeon 8500,512 ddr ram, now the question i have is when i first put me ram in only 1 stick worked, so i ran 3dmark 2001 anyways and got 7266 points, when i got me other stick replaced and installed it i got 6500 on 3dmark, why is that??Is it just that 3dmark makes the scores up as it goes along??
Oh yeah me mobo is an elite P4S5A with an sis chipset.

W

Will

Well, what kind of ram were they? ddr/sdr. what speed, what latency, which make?

T

Trem

Did say ddr, didnt i?told u i was thick!!its 133 i believe, and as 4 latency i aint got a fooking clue.

T

Trem

Yep m8, they both same make and of the same batch, i know this cuz its from me m8s shop!Oh and i am running windows M.E(dont laff)

W

Will

Too late, I'm already laughing.:D

That is probably the problem, 98 and M don't mak good use of RAM, though it could just be your machine has more going on now.

Or it could be your mate gave you a crap replacement, which would hold the whole thing back.

T

Trem

Even tho its the same make etc, shud i whack xp on and try again??if not wot os do u suggest?

W

Will

Well, an OS change is maybe a bit drastic. If you were thinking about it anyway, then why not? But don't shell out (I know;)) for a new OS on just this. It could be down to changes in the tasks your PC is running since you changed the DIMM.

T

Trem

I think its summat i will either have 2 live with(as i dont have the nouse)or try a different OS, i was thinking of putting XP on anyways, i will just have 2 buy sum sunglasses first!Tried XP b4 and quite liked it, but me optical mouse wudnt work thru usb so i put M.E back, which im sorry 2 say has been my favourite OS so far(apart from the time when it decided to lose me network card, oh and the time me writer disappeared):rolleyes:

X

Xavier

the win9x kernel does odd things with 512mb of memory, it technically can't handle more than that, but at 512mb stable applications memory leak etc...

best bet if you want half a gig of ram is to go for XP, it's capable of running way beyond the capabilities of your motherboard memory wise, as well as having better support for your system devices because of its updated driver databases.

T

Trem

Thank u as well xavier, will try win 2000 2moz, then i will try XP and then decide......................ooooh this will cost me;)

T

throdgrain

must admit i dont even know anything about this 3d mark malarky.
anyone fancy telling me what it is/where i can get it/is it worth my time , whilst we're on the subject ?
cheers

W

Will

Mad Onion is the place to get it. It rates 3D graphics performance. Handy for checking your system is running as sweet as it should.

I ran it once, scored only 800 points. ATi Radeon 32 DDR, seemed a low score. So I fixed all my drivers, and now get 3800.:D

X

Xavier

xp is probably a better bet as there are a few games even now that don't like windows 2000 ;)

F

FuZor

Originally posted by Xavier
xp is probably a better bet as there are a few games even now that don't like windows 2000 ;)

mmm
Is'nt XP based on 2000?? Damn the gates!!!

X

Xavier

yes and no

it is built on the nt kernel, beyond windows 2000... and doesn't include any parts of leg-arsey win9x but there are a number of key differences...

for gaming it's much better than 2000...

E

Embattle

In most cases, depends how well you set it up.

T

Trem

Well ive spoken to my *cough* software supplier and i shall be getting win 2000 2moz, so i will let ya all know how i go on(that is if i can connect to the net!!)so ive got 7266 to beat.the Radeon 32meg are great cards, i had 1 b4 me upgrade, rite now(cuz no games make use of me 8500)i cant see the difference.

G

Grimes

ang on..

have high 3dmark score with 1 ram stick
puts in another - get lower score.

Have u taken the 2nd ram stick out and tried again? do u get your original score?

I would have thought u would.

I doubt very much that the OS is at fault. That hasn't changed, the hardware has changed therefore its more like a dodgy stick of ram or the socket it fits in along with its tracks are at fault.

Try the "good" stick of ram in the "maybe dodgy" socket. see if u get your normal "high score" then try the dodgy stick in the "good socket"

I'd mess about with the hardware combinations first, If 3dmark2001 ran on DOS I would guess u have the same outcome - dodgy hardware

/me 3dmark2001 score - 7224 all bog standard, out of the box settings, havent had time to fine tune yet

Anyone tried 3Dmark2001SE yet? any difference in scores?

T

Trem

I did try both sticks of ram etc,similar scores, hence the confusing score problem:( Isnt the new 3dmark made with XP in mind?I'll download it and try it now, will post the score shortly.Cheers Grimes.

E

Embattle

SE isn't out yet...with no ETA last time I checked.

T

Trem

Right ive run 3dmark tests again with the seperate sticks of ram in each slot heres my scores-

Both sticks=6774
stick A in slot 1=6909
stick A in slot 2=6902
stick B in slot 1=6915
stick B in slot 2=6908

So spose this shows that the hardware is ok and that 3dmark is pretty accurate, apart from that fuck knows why i get a lower score with both sticks in:(

G

Grimes

hmmm, tricky...

fuck 3dmark and just play them games :D

T

Trem

Yeah thats wot im thinking Grimes m8, just new pc and all, it pisses u off after spending all that money.

/trundles off to play CS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom