VPS Host Recommendations

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Hi guys,

I've got a couple of vanity domains registered and I fancy putting up a couple of websites on them. I'll probably want to run DNS for the domains and maybe some email/SFTP/VPN type stuff.

I'd rather have an unmanaged VPS than a managed service. Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap!) VPS host, ideally UK based? Long-term, I've got a couple of business ideas (and domains for them too!) so I'd like someone reliable and if it works out, use them for the business stuff too at least initially.

Any tips gratefully received!

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
http://www.poundhost.com have always served me well, not bad prices either. (England based, I believe)
I did trial Hetzner last week, to find there account system got hacked :p so i'd avoid them, at least for a lilttle while (they are German based)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'd highly recommend Linode (referral link, it's worth it!). They've got servers available in London and various other locations if you need to expand.

The RAM and disk space is a bit limited on their plans, but everything else is great - especially the CPU performance compared to either a cheap dedicated server or Amazon EC2. Setting up the server is simple, upgrades to newer plans are easy, recovery of your system if you screw things up and can't access the server over the Internet is always useful.

I've used them for our work servers over the past 2 years, and for me it's been far less hassle to run a bunch of VPS servers from Linode than renting cheap dedicated servers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom